What's new

Opinions on NAD Preamp/Amp (1 Viewer)

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
Is anyone familiar with NAD's S170/S250 preamplifier and 5-channel amplifier combination? I had been considering the Rotel 1066/1075 combination, but I am concerned with the usability of the 1066 and a few performance issues (popping, cross-talk, etc.). Consequently, I was curious as to whether the NAD combo performed any better.

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Darryl,

For someone to speak intelligently to your question, not only would they need extended exposure to the NAD preamp, but also to the multi-channel power amp you specified, as well as to both of the Rotel products you mentioned. There may not be a bunch of those folks around.

And since this is the only way to give the A vs B comparison you desire, your responses may be few. Unfortunately, I've never auditioned any NAD product, nor any Rotel product.

Good luck in your decision,
Kevin

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
For someone to speak intelligently to your question, not only would they need extended exposure to the NAD preamp, but also to the multi-channel power amp you specified, as well as to both of the Rotel products you mentioned.
Actually, if you own the NAD preamplifier, you could speak to the usability and performance issues I mentioned (cross-talk, popping, etc.), whether you have owned the Rotel preamp or not. (Though you would certainly be able to address how much better or worse the NAD is relative to the 1066 if you have owned the Rotel.) The amplification is also irrelevant in this case.

I am specifically interested in how quiet the NAD is (i.e., low noise floor, no cross-talk/bleed, no "popping" when detecting signals, etc.) and whether it has a good user interface (i.e., good ergonomics, good remote, complete setup from the device itself, etc.). If anyone can speak to these issues, it would be very helpful. My local NAD dealer doesn't actually keep the S170 in stock...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks