What's new

Marantz NR1504 5.1 / Power amps dillema (1 Viewer)

Regis3rd

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin
Hi everyone,

Now here I am for my very first post on this forum with a serious head-scratcher (at least for me). Even though I did prepare myself for a very long time in order set up my first home theatre, I feel and am afraid that I just ran, head first, into a thick brick wall.

Configuration of the space: Huge open room: something like a 5 meters square sitting room (with a 10 meters high ceilling), linked to a 4 by 5 meters (normal height ceilling) open dining room right behind the main sofa and a 6 by 3 meters (normal height ceilling) open kitchen on one side.

But because my shelves couldn't accomodate any of the massive powerful AV integrated-amp receivers on the current market: Marantz, Pionner, Cambridge Audio, etc., I settled for a bunch of small AV receiver/small power amps combos.

TV - Sony KDL-55W900A
AV Receiver - Marantz NR1504 5.1 - 5 x 50 watt

Speakers:

[*]2 Voyage (martin logan) --- Front Channels
[/list]
5 Ohms - Power Handling: 20‒400 watts per channel - Crossover Frequency: 350, 3000 Hz
Dedicated Power Amp: ROTEL RB-1562 - 100 watts x 2/ch (8 ohms) or 200 watts x 2/ch (4 ohms)

[*]1 Mythos Nine (Definitive Technology) --- Centre Channel
[/list]
8 ohm - Power Handling: 10 - 250 watts per channel - A/V Receiver Crossover Setting: Small (80 Hz)
Dedicated Power Amp:
Rotel RB-971 - 180W into 8Ω (bridged mono)

[*]2 Mythos XTR-40 (Definitive Technology) --- Rear Channels
[/list]
8 ohm - Power Handling: 20 - 100 watts per channel - A/V Receiver Crossover Setting: Small (100 Hz)
Dedicated Power Amp: Rotel RB-971 - 70 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo), 180W into 8Ω (mono)

[*]1 ProSub 800 (Definitive Technology) --- subwoofer
[/list]
300 Watt

The obvious idea was to use the Marantz NR1504 as a pre-amp AV receiver and pretty much thought that I had everything covered... until I bumped into this line right after I purchased the whole AV receiver/power amps lite artillery: "...2.1 Stereo Preamp outputs (Marantz's) allow you to upgrade to a bigger power amplifier for the front channels."

So my understanding is that I cannot use the Marantz as a pre-amp except for the 2 stereo front channels and therefore need to send back this AV receiver and come up with another concept.

And if I did understand right, what could be, in your opinion, my best options from here?

Thanks in advance

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Can you buy Emotiva or Outlaw?

Your only other option is return the two RB-971 and run the center/surround with the NR1504. 50 watts is closer to 150 than you think it is.

Although have no clue, at all, why you are mixing Martin Logan with Def Tech.

Regis3rd

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin
Can you buy Emotiva or Outlaw?
Not likely. I unfortunately (and I cannot stress this adverb enough) live in a remote city in China and we do most of our purchases through here. I currently cannot find any of the AV Preamp/Processors I assume you are referring to: the Emotiva UMC-200 and the Outlaw Model 975. And besides, the absence of Network inputs on both devices kinda bugs me.

But I did find both the Sherbourn PT-7030 AV Preamp and the Rotel RSP-1572. The Rotel being a bit out of my budget, I'm thinking that the Sherbourn could be a good option (despite the 1st-second-playback-sound-glitch brought up in two comments following this review) but then again, at a depth of 15 inches, the device would significantly stick out of the shelf where the Marantz (at 13 inches) already will.

So back to your suggested option, I'm afraid that the Mythos nine would end up quite underpowered.
Although have no clue, at all, why you are mixing Martin Logan with Def Tech.
I was looking for architectural in-wall powerful speakers, considering the size of the room. And those two front speakers are intended to be used 50/50 for home theater and music only. So probably not the best mix, I suppose.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You should try Mythos 9 that way anyway.With all the speakers 91db efficient anyway. You didn't need more power than than the 1504 has anyway.

Regis3rd

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin
Time is up. I'm returning the two Rotel RB-971 and going on with your suggestion.

Thank you so much for your time, advices and detailed explainations, schan1269. It was greatly appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Taking the fronts "off" the 1504 will allow the other three channels it does run to get to 50 watts...much more realistic than if it was going to attempt to drive all 5.

No AVR(out side older HK, NAD and Anthem) really produce their rated power x5(or 7).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks