Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Kenwood VR-6050 question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Steve_Moo

Steve_Moo

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 04:14 AM

Anyone have this receiver and if so can you help me with this. It says in the manual that if you are hooking up a piece of equipment to the digital In's that you have to use Video 2 for your Video Input? Is this correct and if so how is that possibe. There is 3 Digital In's on the Receiver and no way to hook up 3 devices to the Video 2 jack. This is my friends receiver and I am trying to help him via e-mail but I am not to familar with the 6050. What he is trying to do is hook his Sony DVD Player to the Optical Input on the Receiver Labeled DVD/CD and then S-Video from the DVD Player to the DVD-In on the Receiver. But he says he gets no picture, but when he switches it to Video 2 he gets a picture. Weird isn't it.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Supporting Actor

• 547 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 07:53 AM

Quote:
What he is trying to do is hook his Sony DVD Player to the Optical Input on the Receiver Labeled DVD/CD and then S-Video from the DVD Player to the DVD-In on the Receiver. But he says he gets no picture, but when he switches it to Video 2 he gets a picture. Weird isn't it.

Steve,

Is it possible that you misunderstood him (or maybe I'm misunderstanding you) and what he is actually saying is:

when selecting the CD/DVD input from the receiver he gets no video from his DVD player that was connected to the DVD S-video input, so he decided to connect the S-video cable from the DVD player into the S-video 2 input which now allows him to view DVD but not get audio.....

If this is the case, then I can at least come up with a logical explanation as to what might be happening:

I think the DVD S-video input of the receiver is actually associated with the the digital coaxial input labelled DVD/6ch. If I'm correct then the problem is remedied fairly easily by using this coaxial input for audio instead of the optical input. Of course, nothing is easy so I'm sure his DVD player only offers an optical and not a coaxial output so he'll need a digital converter (available for <$20 at Parts Express). Nonetheless, this is still a screw up on Kenwood's part because it would indicate that there's no video input (S-video input anyway....as far as we know) associated with the CD/DVD input.

I own an older model Kenwood (VR-507) which has a DVD/CD input (optical) and a DVD/6Ch input (coaxial)....both inputs have a corresponding S-video input.

Anyway, if he IS indeed seeing video from his DVD player when plugged into the S-video 2 input while CD/DVD is the selected input from the receiver, then not only is it weird, it'a a major screw up by Kenwood!

Vin