Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ht

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianTran

BrianTran

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 04:04 AM

Waiting for my new house to finish building. 1st Home Theater set. I am slowly picking pieces one by one for my home theater set. So far, I have: Amp - Harmon Kardon AVR-7000 DVD - Onkyo 5disk Progressive Scan Rear Surround - B&W LM's All are sitting in box waiting for completion of HT. 1). My living room family room will be 16 X 18. Will I 65" too big? or 55" will do? Thinking about getting the Mitsubishi WS-65511 or WS-55511. I'm wanting the HDTV integrated TV. Best price found so far is $3200 for 65511 at Home Theater Store. Any other suggestion to buy a different brand of TV? 2). What front speakers should I buy? Budget @ $1000. 3). Still searching for sub and center. Thinking about the SVS sub but they are so expensive! Any suggestions? I am looking forward to my future HT set. I will be doing a lot of researching. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Brian:b

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianTran

BrianTran

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 04:25 AM

Sorry about the Subject - I Messed up

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,214 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted May 01 2003 - 04:26 AM

[quote] My living room family room will be 16 X 18. Will I 65" too big? or 55" will do? Thinking about getting the Mitsubishi WS-65511 or WS-55511 [quote] My living room is larger and I think my WS-55411 is big enough. I tried the 65" for one day and it was huge. My wife did not want a TV taller than her.

-Robert

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 06:26 AM

My opinion on size. Go as big as you can. 16 X 18 is a pretty large room and about the size of a friends room and he has a Tosh 65" and I think it looks perfect.

The "bigness" will wear off after about a month of use. Posted Image
Chris Hovanic
"Go away or I'll replace you with a very small shell script!" :wink:

My DVD Collection
My Home Theater Pictures

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianTran

BrianTran

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for your reply Robert. I never knew that satellite and cable have HDTV integrated in their recievers. I thought that the only way for you to get HDTV was to HAVE the HDTV reciever. What about Progressive Scan DVD players? Will I be able to see the full HDTV? Now that I know that, I might just get the WS-55411. It's a lot cheaper too. It's good to catch over the air HDTV but not worth an extra 600 bucks!

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,214 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted May 01 2003 - 07:06 AM

[quote] Now that I know that, I might just get the WS-55411. It's a lot cheaper too. It's good to catch over the air HDTV but not worth an extra 600 bucks! [quote] Apply that $600 to a DirecTV system and a progressive scan DVD player. With the right combination of deals that should pay for everything.

-Robert

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianTran

BrianTran

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 07:32 AM

Robert, Yes, my local cable does have the local channels. That's great! I already have a progressive scan dvd player. ONKYO. What is 1080i and 480p? I have cable internet. If I hook the cable to the TV, I get the basic cable channels and local channels too, for free. I just pay the monthly internet service. Do you think I can get HDTV like this? Thanks again.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,214 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted May 01 2003 - 08:28 AM

[quote] If I hook the cable to the TV, I get the basic cable channels and local channels too, for free. I just pay the monthly internet service. Do you think I can get HDTV like this? [quote] No. Almost all of the cable companies require an HD compatible digital cable box because they are broadcasting HD in scrambled 256QAM format. OTA is broadcast in unscrambled 8VSB format.

-Robert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users