-

Photo
- - - - -

Ht

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianTran

BrianTran

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 04:04 AM

Waiting for my new house to finish building.
1st Home Theater set.
I am slowly picking pieces one by one for my home theater set. So far, I have:

Amp - Harmon Kardon AVR-7000
DVD - Onkyo 5disk Progressive Scan
Rear Surround - B&W LM's

All are sitting in box waiting for completion of HT.

1). My living room family room will be 16 X 18. Will I 65" too big? or 55" will do? Thinking about getting the Mitsubishi WS-65511 or WS-55511. I'm wanting the HDTV integrated TV. Best price found so far is $3200 for 65511 at Home Theater Store. Any other suggestion to buy a different brand of TV?

2). What front speakers should I buy? Budget @ $1000.

3). Still searching for sub and center. Thinking about the SVS sub but they are so expensive! Any suggestions?

I am looking forward to my future HT set. I will be doing a lot of researching. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Brian:b

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianTran

BrianTran

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 04:25 AM

Sorry about the Subject - I Messed up

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,147 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted May 01 2003 - 04:26 AM

Quote:
Thinking about the SVS sub but they are so expensive!
They are relatively in-expensive for the performance.

Quote:
I'm wanting the HDTV integrated TV
So you are only having OTA as your HD source? If you go with satellite, it will also have an OTA tuner or if you go with cable, they will provide a box for you. Either way you will not be using your TV's internal HD tuner.

Quote:
My living room family room will be 16 X 18. Will I 65" too big? or 55" will do? Thinking about getting the Mitsubishi WS-65511 or WS-55511
My living room is larger and I think my WS-55411 is big enough. I tried the 65" for one day and it was huge. My wife did not want a TV taller than her.

-Robert

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 06:26 AM

My opinion on size. Go as big as you can. 16 X 18 is a pretty large room and about the size of a friends room and he has a Tosh 65" and I think it looks perfect.

The "bigness" will wear off after about a month of use. Posted Image
Chris Hovanic
"Go away or I'll replace you with a very small shell script!" :wink:

My DVD Collection
My Home Theater Pictures

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianTran

BrianTran

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for your reply Robert.

I never knew that satellite and cable have HDTV integrated in their recievers. I thought that the only way for you to get HDTV was to HAVE the HDTV reciever. What about Progressive Scan DVD players? Will I be able to see the full HDTV?

Now that I know that, I might just get the WS-55411. It's a lot cheaper too. It's good to catch over the air HDTV but not worth an extra 600 bucks!

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,147 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted May 01 2003 - 07:06 AM

Quote:
I never knew that satellite and cable have HDTV integrated in their recievers.
DirecTV HD sat receivers will tune in SD and HD satellite and SD and HD OTA all in one box. Dish's model 6000 will do SD and HD satellite. Add on a $99 module and it will do SD and HD OTA. HD cable boxes only do cable but they will do analog and digital cable along with HD on cable. They will not do OTA but if you are luck you won't need it since the cable company will probably be carrying your locals in HD. Just check with them to be sure.

Quote:
What about Progressive Scan DVD players? Will I be able to see the full HDTV?
You won't see the picture in 1080i but you will see it in 480p. I've got the Panasonic RP-62 and the picture looks great.

Quote:
Now that I know that, I might just get the WS-55411. It's a lot cheaper too. It's good to catch over the air HDTV but not worth an extra 600 bucks!
Apply that $600 to a DirecTV system and a progressive scan DVD player. With the right combination of deals that should pay for everything.

-Robert

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianTran

BrianTran

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted May 01 2003 - 07:32 AM

Robert,

Yes, my local cable does have the local channels. That's great!

I already have a progressive scan dvd player. ONKYO. What is 1080i and 480p?

I have cable internet. If I hook the cable to the TV, I get the basic cable channels and local channels too, for free. I just pay the monthly internet service. Do you think I can get HDTV like this?

Thanks again.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,147 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted May 01 2003 - 08:28 AM

Quote:
Yes, my local cable does have the local channels.
But are they in HD?

Quote:
What is 1080i and 480p?
1080i and 720p are HD formats. 480p is progressive scan DVD format. You might want to read up on the newbie FAQ at the top of this section.

Quote:
If I hook the cable to the TV, I get the basic cable channels and local channels too, for free. I just pay the monthly internet service. Do you think I can get HDTV like this?
No. Almost all of the cable companies require an HD compatible digital cable box because they are broadcasting HD in scrambled 256QAM format. OTA is broadcast in unscrambled 8VSB format.

-Robert

Back to Beginners, General Questions & HTiB (Home Theater in a Box)

Forum Nav Content I Follow