What's new

Oscar (1991): Will DVD be OAR?? (1 Viewer)

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if OSCAR (1991), which arrives on DVD 5/6/2003, is going to be in its OAR? None of the usual places has any information on the aspect ratio, and I'm afraid this may be yet another Disney "family full-screen" release...

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Very good question, John.

In OAR I'd definitely consider a purchase. I think the flick is very funny and more than a little underrated.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Aha!

I searched about 6 different DVD sales sites before actually using my BRAIN. Then I went to the Buena Vista Home Video site.

According to this page here the specifications are as follows:

So the riddle is solved. And some sites have the DVD for $6.99! Sold!

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Scott, thanks for locating that information.

I'm still not 100% convinced for 2 reasons: First, Disney's technical information on their web site has been incorrect in the past. Also, because it is not listed as "anamorphic" and the very low price, I'm afraid this could be another direct port of the old LD which, IIRC, was full screen.

Still, I went ahead and ordered it based on the information you found. I can live with letterbox if that is indeed what we'll be getting. Thanks again.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Disney's technical information on their web site has been incorrect in the past. Also, because it is not listed as "anamorphic" and the very low price, I'm afraid this could be another direct port of the old LD which, IIRC, was full screen.
Good point. I'm going to pre-order one as well. If it shows up in anything but WS, I'll have to ship it on back.

You're welcome for the search. I wanted to know as well!

Let's hope the BVHV site is accurate this time.

Jalil

Stunt Coordinator
oh great.. i love this movie.. seen it way too many times.

happy to hear it is coming out on dvd..

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Just a quick update for the other 5 or 6 people who are planning on purchasing this title. ;)

My copy arrived today and I can confirm that "Oscar" is presented in its correct aspect ratio, 1.85:1. I was especially pleased to find that the transfer is 16x9 enhanced! Please keep it up Disney... :emoji_thumbsup:

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Only $6.30 from DDD, if you don't mind waiting for their slower shipping.

It's great that OSCAR is anamorphic widescreen, but this very low price is un-Disney-like. They usually have at least a $20 MSRP on even their worst movies when first released. Does this mean the transfer is only so-so?

For anybody who has watched it, what's the quality like?

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Since I have ordered it from DDD it'll be a while before I'll get my hands on it, but my previous $6.30 Touchstone/Disney movie, the Green Card had quite a decent transfer IMHO. Not stellar, but certainly not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks