What's new

Setting my Sony Wega KV-27FS100 (1 Viewer)

James Davis

Agent
I've calibrated the TV with AVIA, the picture looks good and the red was tuned down using Chuckster's tip of setting "axnt^ = 0", but I still have a few questions.

1. Anyone that can better describe how to use the contrast and sharpness test modes to set them? I've listened to the explanation a few times but still am not quite sure what to do.

2. I played around with the advanced tests, and noticed in the geometry tests, that the white crosshatches get fuzzier as they get further from the center of the tube, is this typical?

3. I also have discoloration in the upper left hand corner, I see it when the screen is black. I've tried unplugging the tv over night a few times to degauss, but it isn't entirely gone, but calibrating(brightness turned down) the tv does made it less noticeable, anything else I can do to correct it? Also what in the room can cause this problem?

4. When I use test modes that mark where the corner of the images are, the upper right hand corner goes out of the viewing area, any way to adjust this?

No major complaints with my tv. I just want to see if any of these are unfixable flaws before my 30 day trial period is running up.

James Davis

Agent
All these normal? Anyone that can answer me? I don't want to sound pushy but 30 day trial period ends soon ;)

Thank you.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
1. Sharpness is easy. Turn off the Velocity Scan Modulation (listed as VM, VSM or SVM in the video menu). Leave it off...
Then, adjust the sharpness to the minimum setting. Put up the test pattern for sharpness, and turn the sharpness up until you begin to see "ringing" around the lines in the test pattern (probably not more than 5 clicks). Back the control down one or two notches from there, and you're set. Or, you could just leave it at the minimum setting. It will be close to minimum when properly adjusted.

Contrast is a bit harder. Get your brightness adjusted first. The contrast should be set at the point where white "looks white," unless you get the distortion before that point. The Wega likely will not show much distortion. Where white "looks white" depends largely on ambient light. Adjust to a point where it is comfortable for you in your lighting situation, then back it down a couple of notches (you'll get used to it). The higher the contrast (a.k.a. picture, white point) the shorter the life of your tube. I find most Wegas in moderate light end up with a setting at about two-thirds, max. After adjusting, check your brightness (black level) again, adjust if necessary. Then check your picture control again. If it looks dark, that's normal... most people are used to a contrast setting that is too high. You WILL get used to it.

2. It's not too unusual.

3. This one has been discussed... do a search for it. It's not an uncommon problem with Wegas. You would notice discoloration more with a white screen if it needed degaussing. The problem people see seems to vary in degree from set to set. You'll have to decide if it's bad enough to warrant an exchange... and you won't know what you'll get in exchange. Check out some sets in-store.

4. Sounds like your horizontal position is off. Unless you see it on images that are NOT test patterns, I wouldn't worry too much. There are ways to adjust overscan and hpos and vpos in the service menu. Sounds like you've already been in there. Have a look around, but be careful.

-Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks