-

Photo

DD 5.1 or DTS?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Rob.melone

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 05:14 AM

For sound intensive dvd's such as Twister and Apollo 13, which is the better sounding format, DD 5.1 or DTS? Both are available. Thank you.

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter

• 1,442 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 05:20 AM

Moving to Software...
Buy National Treasure on DVD today..."The best movie I saw on Saturday night from 7pm to 9:30. The DTS track is freakin' awesome!" --Multiplex Drone

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 05:23 AM

It's been my experience that, all things being equal, DTS sounds better than DD. A good recent example of this (again, IMHO) is the 2 disc DD track for FOTR and the DTS track the 4 disc set. Huge difference.

However, the gap between the two has been closing in the past several years. I have been listening to an increasing number of disappointing DTS tracks and an increasing number of good DD tracks.

All my opinion, again.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   RobD

RobD

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 06:00 AM

The reason DTS seems to have fropped in quality is that DTS used to encode and master all their own tacks until a few years ago. When studios started doing it quite often they did not have such good sound engineers and often used half rather than full bit rate DTS. Apollo 13 was mastered by DTS at full bit rate and is better than the DD version, I dont know about Twister.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   SteveA

SteveA

Supporting Actor

• 701 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 06:09 AM

Asking if DTS sounds better than DD is like asking if Coke tastes better than Pepsi!

The answer is a resounding "yes" in both cases!

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Dave Molinarolo

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 06:10 AM

I've got the DD version of Apollo 13 and IMO, the sound is quite bland. Really pathetic actually. I detected very little sound envelopment. So if you have DTS and want Apollo 13 for its supposedly good DTS track, go with the DTS version.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Bill_D

Bill_D

Supporting Actor

• 755 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 06:15 AM

dts.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 08:23 AM

The general concensus for Apollo 13 is that the dts soundtrack is better than the DD one (particularly in the music portions) but the PQ may have sufferred as a result of the dts taking up more space on the disk than the DD soundtrack. As for Twister, I detected little difference between the two.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 08:27 AM

Quote:
The general concensus for Apollo 13 is that the dts soundtrack is better than the DD one (particularly in the music portions) but the PQ may have sufferred as a result of the dts taking up more space on the disk than the DD soundtrack.

Definitely. I noticed this on my set-up. Someone posted comparisons pics in a previous thread.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   LDfan

LDfan

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 08:44 AM

Dammit. Everytime I read one of these type of posts it makes me want to get rid of my Dolby Digital only Harmon Kardon AVR-75 receiver.
Am I really missing that much by not having DTS?

Jeff

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 08:53 AM

Quote:
The general concensus for Apollo 13 is that the dts soundtrack is better than the DD one (particularly in the music portions)

I used to have both DVDs but ended up selling the DTS version. Although I did prefer the DTS' slightly better audio it wasn't impressing me enough to forgo the DD's improved video quality and the excellent supplementary material.

However I also compared both discs to the old DTS LaserDisc and - surprise surprise - neither were as good.

I used to post on here extolling the virtues of DTS - but that was back in the day of LD when it actually did make a big difference.
No longer here.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   RobD

RobD

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 08:54 AM

Recently went from an old Pioneer VSA-E06 (First Gen THX DD) amp to a VSA-AX10I. I thought DTS would make a big improvement, but it is quite slight, general improvement in sound quality and volume is much much bigger with the change. My point is it is only one reason out of a coulple or more that most people would need to change. IMHO Dolby PL2 and DTS NEO6 were much more impressive improvements on the new amp.

I found the following to sound better in DTS:
LOTR FOTR (More spacious and refined sound)
ACDC - Stiff Upper lip (Notably better bass detail)
Road Trip (Slight improvement to music)
Gladitaor (A few extra little details can be heard)
Happy Gilmore DTS LD vs DD DVD (LD much more powerful mix)

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 09:30 AM

Quote:
For sound intensive dvd's such as Twister and Apollo 13, which is the better sounding format, DD 5.1 or DTS?

IMO, neither format sounds better. Sometimes the mix used for one or the other version sounds better.

This question has been debated extensively for years, without any firm resolution. The bottom line is, listen and judge for yourself.

Quote:
Am I really missing that much by not having DTS?

I would say no, but there's a determined group of DTS fans who wouldn't agree.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 22 2003 - 09:55 AM

Quote:
For sound intensive dvd's such as Twister and Apollo 13, which is the better sounding format, DD 5.1 or DTS? Both are available.

At least for Twister, both are available on the same DVD so just buy it and . . .

(in booming, echo-enhanced voice)
TAKE THE DIGITAL SOUND CHALLENGE! Posted Image

I haven't done a lot of comparisons, and my setup probably isn't sophisticated enough to reveal any major differences, but I have read a lot of reviews and in 90% or more of the reviews where DTS and DD are available, DTS gets the advantage.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 10:04 AM

IMHO, half-bitrate DTS (which 99.9% of new releases utilize) will sound the same as Dolby Digital unless you are using some mighty fine REFERENCE equipment (like in the $10k area). Otherwise, the difference is minimal (I'd actually much rather have a PCM track, but that is just me Posted Image )

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 10:08 AM

Quote:
volume is much much bigger with the change

That's because of a feature of DD known as "dialog normalization" or "dialnorm". On most DD tracks, this results in a 4db overall reduction of volume (individual DD tracks may vary). DTS has no equivalent feature.

On DVDs where you have both tracks and find the DTS louder, try raising the DD by 4db.

Having read these threads for years, I'm firmly convinced that many of the "improvements" that people hear with DTS tracks result from a failure to equalize volume levels when making the comparison.

(BTW, the Warner DVDs with dual DTS/DD tracks, like Twister have the dialnorm level set to neutral, which results in no reduction in volume. They are good candidates for a listening comparison, because the volume has already been equalized for you. Why are the Warner DD tracks mastered this way? Because Dolby advised Warner to do so.)

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   jonathan_little

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 11:12 AM

Quote:
The general concensus for Apollo 13 is that the dts soundtrack is better than the DD one (particularly in the music portions) but the PQ may have sufferred as a result of the dts taking up more space on the disk than the DD soundtrack.

A reviewer at DVDFile added up the bitrates of the various audio tracks on the Dolby Digital version and came up with about 1.5mbps, which is about the same bitrate as the DTS version which has two audio tracks that add up to about 1.7mbps. The Dolby Digital version also has an hour of isolated score at 192kbps and an hour long documentary.

Unfortunately, I don't own the DD version, so I can't compare the picture quality of the two for myself.

Quote:
IMHO, half-bitrate DTS (which 99.9% of new releases utilize) will sound the same as Dolby Digital unless you are using some mighty fine REFERENCE equipment (like in the $10k area).

As a person who has sound equipment which cost about 10% of the "reference equipment" price, I can say that I often do hear an improvement with half-rate DTS over Dolby Digital. In particular, film scores almost always sound better in DTS over Dolby Digital. (And yes, I'm aware that DTS is usually louder. Posted Image)

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   RobD

RobD

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 01:49 PM

Dont normally quote myself but:

Quote:
volume is much much bigger with the change

Was referring to difference between amps, not DD and DTS. In a related question though, does the VSA-AX10I (AKA. 49TXI) compensate for the 4DB? I kinda liked the way the old amp informed me of normalisation (Ie. + or - whatever DB).

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow