Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Does this type of Ethernet music device exist?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 03:14 AM

Pardon my ignorance...

I'm looking for a device that has an Ethernet port and either an RCA-out or a digital-out, so I can connect my receiver to my home Ethernet network and stream music to it from a computer in another room. This exists, right?

If so, any specific product names?

Posted Image

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Bill Slack

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted April 20 2003 - 03:36 AM

http://www.thinkgeek...onics/mp3/379c/

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Supporting Actor

• 868 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 01:45 AM

Also try either of these by HP

Or one of these by CD3O

The HP and the 2 cheaper CD3O models have analog outputs. The $249 CD3O has digital outs as well. They all have some SW that you install on the PC or PC's that have the content on them and then the receiver connects to your TV and stereo to display menu's, pictures and play the music. I am looking hard at buying one of these units. The HP's can be had at Amazon I think but I have found nowhere to buy the CD3) unit that is available other than there site. Hopefully in a few more months.
Revenge is like serving cold cuts-

Tony Soprano

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 03:32 AM

I'm partial to the SliMp3: http://www.slimp3.com/

Open source everything.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   KyleS

KyleS

Screenwriter

• 1,232 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 08:53 AM

Bill pointed out the best one out of all the research I have done the Turtle Beach AudioTron. Posted Image

KyleS

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Supporting Actor

• 868 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 01:25 AM

My problem is that I need something that will display on a TV. All my equipment is behind closed doors and I use a Xantech IR repeater to control it with a pronto. I have a 300 disk changer controlled by my Pronto with Supernudelist, a program that creates Pronto control pages with buttons that go to an individual CD. Of course I have many CD's that can't fit in the changer so I figured for the price of a another changer I would try to centralize everything. If I have to go up and open a door or get up to real some tiny 4x40 display, that is somewhat of a step backwards since now I can see the album I am selecting from anywhere in the room and most of the downstairs as well thanks to the range of the Pronto and the excellent reception of the Xantech receiver. Plus the devices that use the TV for a display can show pictures as well.
Revenge is like serving cold cuts-

Tony Soprano

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 09:52 AM

Quote:
My problem is that I need something that will display on a TV.

Prismiq does TV control. Looks like a good product. They seem commited to providing updates to mature the product further.

http://www.prismiq.com/

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted April 22 2003 - 01:54 PM

That Prismiq is very interesting. If only you didn't have to install their software on the PC and it just used NFS mounts it would almost be perfect.
Michael Alletto

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 08:38 AM

If you have a Playstation 2, check out http://www.broadq.com/. I've had this for about a week and only played with it a few hours, but so far I love it. It not only allows for MP3 playback, but other audio formats, videos, and slideshows of pictures as well. With a wireless controller it's perfect. So far they have been very aggressive with trying to make updates as well.
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train!

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted April 23 2003 - 03:10 PM

Good point, Drew. You can also mod an Xbox to do it. That would probably be the best, assuming you don't mind the extra work.