Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Down to the last 2....Opinions wanted

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 01:20 AM

I have now narrowed down RPTV choices to 2 products..

I would like opinions on which of these two rptvs I should buy.

The choices

1. Mitshubishi WS-65511 http://www.tweeter.c....entPage=family
2. Hitachi Hit-65SWX20B http://www.circuitci....ftchildcat.jsp

There are a few diffrences , some which I don't understand

The main reason I ask is because some of the sales people don't understand what they are selling. Example I went to Sears the other day because they sell both rptvs. When I asked what some of the feaures were the sales person read word for word the same book I had in my hand.The reason I asked is beacause I didn't understand what the terms meant. If I wanted to hear someone read to me I would have stayed home and listen to my 5 year old son. LOL

I know the mits. has a built in tuner and I am not sure I will ever need it. We have comcast in my area and I have heard I would have to use their box.

Can you guys help me decide.
Please tell me what you would buy and why you would buy one over the other.

Thanks in advance
Ed O'Neill

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   BrandonR

BrandonR

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 03:25 AM

if you dont think you would use the built in tuner then buy the Mits WS 65311. Same TV just no built in tuner. Price tag is about $2700.00 Hope this helps.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 09:03 AM

Thanks Brandon,

There are some other differences besides the built in tuner.

Anymore input

Thanks in advance
Ed O'Neill

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 01:20 PM

A lot of the recent Hitachis are exhibitting a nasty posterized/pastel look in fleshtones, maybe do a search over at AVS. I had one a year or so back and the faces on most sources looked like they'd been painted with flat latex paint. I thought maybe this had been corrected since, but I've found lots of threads about it on more recent and current model Hitachis over at AVS.

I replaced it with a Sony and have been very happy. As far as I know the Mits sets also do not have this problem, I didn't get a Mits because at the time fixing the red push required a major hassle with reprogramming the eprom or something. Current Mits sets are much better in this regard.

Given a choice between the Mitsubishi and Hitachi, I'd definitely go with the Mits. Sonys built since mine (Aug 01 build date) may or may not have a flicker problem, so I'm a bit hesitant to recommend one at this time.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted April 18 2003 - 08:22 PM

What is the red push? Is it only a problem only with Mitsubishi's? Is it only on older models? Certain sizes?
Check out my Flickr stream. Join the HTF Flickr Pool.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted April 19 2003 - 05:24 AM

Bill:

>>>What is the red push? Is it only a problem only with Mitsubishi's? Is it only on older models? Certain sizes? <<<

Most brands have at least some red push. Some have more than others. Mits is known to have quite a bit, although this year's models have less than they used to. Sony's have some. Hitachis have some. Even Pioneer Elites have some.

It is deliberate, (although the manufacturers will never admit it). It pumps up the red to try to help the set sell better, since it seems more "vividly red." When you get it home, you might begin to be notice the contsant suntans, and red flesh tones, and any bright red logos often bloom, and are overly bright.

Mits used to have their reds pumped up by +25%. Ouch!. Now, they usually measure at about +15%.

So, most users turn the color down altogether, to cure it. But, this means you have lowered the other colors, too, so all colors are a bit more "muted" than they should be. It fixes one problem, but caused a new one.

On older Mits, you could solve this in three ways:
1.) If the sets had a tuner, you could access the service menus, and there was a very easy fix. Permanent. For every type of signal and input.
2.) If the sets did not have a built in tuner, you could add an attenuator (cost: $12 to $50) to the component line and fix it completely. BUT, this onely worked for component feeds, such as DVD progressive scan, or HDTV. The 480i stuff still had it.
3.) If the sets did not have a built in tuner, you could hook up a PC to the set, and with some special software, you could actually "re-program" the set so the red push was eliminated. Risky. Easier than it may sound, though... took me about an hour, taking my time, and exercising caution. This is a complete fix, on all inputs.

=== Now, for the current situation: ===

On many of the new (this year's models) that do not have the built in tuner, Mits added the ability to fix the problem for 480i inputs in the regular user menu. You can actually "dial in" the color decoders, but only for 480i signals. Then, you could certainly add an attenuator, and it was solved for all inputs. The "dial in" method fixes it for 480i, the attenuators can fix it for 480p and any high definition signals.

On the new (this year's models) that do have a tuner, you can still fix it completely in the service menus.

Hope this is all clear.

Note: On other brands, with some sets, it is easy to fix. With some, it is tough. With some it is impossible. It can be fixed on all Mits sets.

You can do a search here under the term "red push," for more info.

I can also direct you to a place where tha above is explained with complete instructions, and detail.

-Bruce in Chi-Town