What's new

Warning: I am addicted, you could be next! Longish. (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
In September I asked my wife for a DVD player for my birthday. I was tired of looking at the poor resolution that VHS gave me and I thought a DVD player would make me happy. Well, it did but I realized that the TV we had was too old so we bought a 27" TV to go with the DVD. I hooked up my 2 channel receiver for better sound but realized that I really wanted 5.1 surround sound so I bought a Panny SA-HE100. Once I got that going I felt that my speakers were inadequate so I bought a pair of Energy C-1s for my rears and stayed with my Klipsch KG2s for the fronts. I then bought a Sony SA-WM20 for a sub. After reading all of the great reviews on the Parts Express DLS-10 I decided that my SA-WM20 was not good enough so I bought a DLS-10. After watching dozens of DVDs I realized that my 27" TV was inadaquate so I have now purchased a Mits WT-42311. Now that the Mits has been ordered, my non-progressive scan DVD is not good enough so now I am in search of a progressive scan DVD player.

I don't know when this will end, but I am having the time of my life.

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
So were you able to sell your old equipment as used someplace? Or are you keeping it for a 'lesser' home theater room or basement?

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I sold the Sony sub and I plan to move the 27" TV to the bedroom where my grandchildren sleep when they come over (I am a young grandfather of 50). When I replace the DVD player, the old one will go with the 27" TV. What I am afraid of is when I eventually replace my AV receiver I will then move that to the room where the 27" is and then of course I will have to get decent speakers for it, and then...

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the world of Home Theater! For me, it started when my parents and I moved the 32 inch TV into a new room, and I jokingly suggested that we should get surround sound and a DVD player. They actually thought it was a real good idea, and we ended up getting a crappy HTiB. I decided the speakers were crappy, and got a set of JBLs. Then it was the HTiB that went next and was replaced with a JVC player and receiver. Oh, and don't forget the entertainment center. :D

It's funny how it can start with moving one thing.

Geno

Supporting Actor
So now dont you have to buy a new house to accomodate the new setup?

Maybe it ends when the bank account reaches 0....
:)

Support group! ha thats a good one, HTF is like having an AA meeting in a liquor store :)

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
I think many of us have the same story!! I went to my brother in laws house about a year ago and he built a $50,000 home theater in his attic. I was blown away. Not being able to afford what he could, I thought a DVD player was the least I could buy, just to get the better picture quality. Got me one of those APEX cheapies which I quickly upgraded to a slightly better Panny when the APEX started to skip. Then I decided I needed a HTiB, so I got an RCA 650 watt system, which at the timed seemed like a lot of bang for the buck. Well I had trouble with that system and am in the process of sending it back after a long battle with the repair people and Thomson (long story, but not going to get into it here), in the meantime I decided to get a better receiver, and bought a nice Kenwood, my daughter decided she like to watch Monsters, Inc when I wanted to watch something else, so I got another DVD player. Then I had to upgrade my TV, so I got a nice Sony Wega 27" (can't afford the big screen HDTV yet, but that's coming in the future. Plus I had to upgrade my Satellite equipment so I could watch HBO in DD, so I first bought an upgraded Hughes receiver and then a Sony DIrecTV. Now I just purchased upgraded Onkyo receivers. Trust me, it never ends, because you will ALWAYS be buying DVDs, and constantly tweaking the sound, picture, etc. I really need to win the lottery!!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
(Boy did you come to the wrong fourm :) )

An often overlooked part of this hobby is ANTICIPATION.

It's quite a lot of fun to read magazines, this fourm and plot your next purchase. This way you know you are getting all the good features and often NOT by paying top-of-line prices. Then you take weekends with favorite CD/DVD's and hit the local stores to audition.

(My HT system: I built it up one component per year)

And there is a LOT of tweaking and adjustments you can do that take very little money, but are a lot of fun.

Remember that while the goal of a Music system is accuracy (and you often pay for this), a HT system is about Impact. This means a set of budget speakers, properly setup can give a great movie experience.

So all of you: Welcome and enjoy your stay!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks