What's new

Toshiba popped, now the images are tinted blue (1 Viewer)

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
My Toshiba TW56X81 HD RPTV had a stroke today. Just watching some hockey highlights on a leisurely Saturday morning and POP! A sound like that of a light bulb burning out, screen goes blank, then blue, then image re-appears with everything having a tint of blue. My first thought after HOLY S**T was my red or green crt crapped out. I removed the screen to peer inside and all three appear to be on. The set is under extended warranty (phew) and will be getting a service call probably Monday at the earliest.

Just curious if anyone here could summise what may have happened to my set. Kind of sucks, no Masters golf in HD for me this weekend, not to mention the NHL playoffs. The set is still watchable but perhaps it is damaging to do so??

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hey there fellow Calgarian!

Could be a power supply problem? Might have blown a few circuits on the TV, but not enough to wreck it. It's possible that all your settings may have been reset. Check your color temperature and other picture settings, see if they have changed.

Also, you may want to check your convergence. They may be out of whack now, if the picture is fuzzier and you get red and blue bleed on white lines and edges.

Good luck!

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Try unplugging the AC power to the set completely from the wall. Perhaps reseting the MCU inside the set may correct things. Otherwise, I suspect that a voltage step up or quadrupler (converts DC to an amount required to drive the CRTs)failed.

By the way...as in Phoenix this year, there were no hockey highlights in Calgary...who are you trying to fool? :D

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replys. Warranty guys coming out Monday, Easter Monday. An entire week+ until they can get here, Friday is a holiday of course, UGGH. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the power disconnect but I think it's more like your second suggestion Mike. My settings appear to be as they should and convergence is still normal Max. Guess I just have to wait until next monday.

Truth be told, I'm actually a New Jersey Devil Fan first and foremost. But I always cheer for the Canadian based teams that make the playoffs too. For some dumb reason though, I have no Devils in my hockey pool, and due in part to that, I'm getting my ass kicked.:thumbsdown: Couple that with the Anaheim/Detroit upset in the making and I'm screwed. All I can hope is that Ottawa and Edmonton make it through to the second round. Playoffs are always interesting in the NHL.

Cheers,

Steve

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
Same thing happened to my Tosh 57H82 last night, except the picture returned to normal after. I rechecked convergence and my settings with AVIA and threw a couple of DVD's in and everything looks normal.

I'm slightly nervous about this. So far, everything seems to be o.k. but I'm worried that there might be a NEXT TIME. I have everything in my HT (including subwoofer) connected to a Monster Power surge protector so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a spike or surge, but after that, I'm at a loss as to what caused it.

Any suggestions for what I should do? I'm afraid a service call would be a waste of time since the set appears to be functioning perfectly now.

Man, sometimes it sucks being an analy retentive home theater geek.:D

Cheers.
J.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, if the service call doesn't cost you anything, I'd have them come take a look. Describe what happened to them and get them out there. My problem is almost like a black level issue, i.e. where things should have a grey or black background they are blue instead. I still have an image at least but it sure isn't too pretty.

Good luck,

Steve

Leif Wall

Second Unit
In the Panasonic world this is referred to as "the evil pop". It happened to my 53" Panasonic a little while ago.

The solution? Eyeball your grayscale back. Mine happened with the green gun. So I used the Avia disc and pulled up one of the grayscale patterns and used the green screen pot to bring things back to normal. You can also go into the service menu and do it there too. It took me a total of about 5 minutes to fix.

Not sure how things are with the Toshibas though. Better wait for something with experience with a Tosh to respond, or for Gregg or Michael. :D

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
Oh my god...

I read this thread the other day, and of course, I had to jinx myself by saying it would never happen to my Tosh. As I was playing X-Box, there was that loud pop, but fortunatly everything returned back to "normal." Jeff and Steve, please keep us posted on what happens to your set. What the heck is goin' on?

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I spoke with Gregg Loewen yesterday and he said that things like this happen from time to time with RPTV's. He basically said to take a deep breath and get back to enjoying my TV. That's good enough for me. I will keep an eye out and report back if it happens again.

P.S.- I forgot to mention that after the "pop" I used AVIA to recheck all of my settings and the only thing I noticed was that on the color analyzer pattern (the one you use to test for red push) both red and green were at about -5%. This was after I set saturation and hue.

Anyone know if this is a bad or good thing, or am I being anal again??:b

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I have not heard of it happening with the toshiba, but stranger things have happened.

Possibly a build up of dust ... on the crt ... static and a power arc ...

Regards

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick update, my set appears to be getting better on it's own or else I'm just getting used to it. :crazy:

Michael, long time no chat. It very well could be a dust issue I suppose, I live outside Calgary and very near a high through-put grain terminal, dustier than the average home I'm sure. Anyway, service/warranty call should happen Monday or Tuesday. I'll keep everyone posted.

Steve

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
As for the dust issue, I just got my set 4 days ago. It was brand new, so I can't see dust as being the culprit. Could I be wrong?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

We are talking about 3 years worth of dust ... and everyone's house does not exactly have the same dust condition, does it?

Regards

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
The solution? Eyeball your grayscale back. Mine happened with the green gun. So I used the Avia disc and pulled up one of the grayscale patterns and used the green screen pot to bring things back to normal. You can also go into the service menu and do it there too.
Adjusting the Screen controls without the aid of a volt meter and the service manual is a VERY BAD IDEA!

If you do happen to know what you are doing and are able to "eyeball" a grayscale (hopefully with the aid of an optical reference), the Service Menu route is the ONLY way to do this.
The Screen controls are mechanical "valves", if you will, that control the flow of voltage to the CRT driver boards from the high voltage splitter block. These can not possibly get corrupted by an external voltage spike.
Digitally stored data, which would be highly susceptible to spikes, can easily corrupt and scatter, and reigning it in via the Digital controls in the Service Menu is a plausible fix.
Leif, if your set has a CRT that is under nourished "voltage wise", it will likely prematurely fail.
My opinion would be that if you have adjusted these controls, you might want to solicit a repair center to check this out, and then use the Cuts /Drives in service to adjust gray scale. Pay for the call (don't make up a story as to why you are requesting this service). You have probably altered your gamma curve to a great degree, affecting your grayscale tracking from bottom to top.
The only way to be sure is to put an color analyzer on it to see where each step plots at.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Quick Update: The service guys came out Monday and basically took the guts out of my tv. They said it was a high voltage resistor or transistor or something on one of the crt's it was arcing. I was on my cell phone and couldn't quite get the translation from my fiance who was at home at the time. Anyway, they are replacing all three high voltage things as the set is still under extended warranty. Should be between 2 and 7 days depending on parts availability.

Curious to know if this is going to have totally screwed my convergence and/or geometry settings?? I'm thinking it will and what a major pain in the ass it will be to redo it all. Maybe it comes with the repair work :cool:

Steve

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
The Deflection board and its memories are isolated and it should not affect those parameters. SHould the value of voltage change to each CRT, then a Static Shift might be in order, but nothing more.
Snapping is common in low humidity climates (it was 4% here last week...everything you touch gives you a little zap).

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Mike - Well, I can't afford a service call. I can't afford to have my set ISFd either. This was a fix found at the panny.tv site. (board on that site has been down for the past few days for some reason)

Michael Chen and Gregg Loewen are both members there and have said nothing about this. :confused:

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Just for reference, my Toshiba 40h80 used to 'pop' about once a month in my old apartment. Everything always came back on as if nothing had happenend (except screen mode would be set to normal versus the wide setting that I used). I haven't noticed the problem since I moved (about 8 months ago).

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Mike - Well, I can't afford a service call. I can't afford to have my set ISFd either.
I can well appreciate your financial circumstances. In the meantime, you might inqure at a local repair shop about the possibility of having a tech check this out on his way home; perhaps as a "side" job (be discreet). If you should incur a failure, what will that ultimately cost you?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks