What's new

Toshiba popped, now the images are tinted blue (1 Viewer)

Leif Wall

Second Unit
At the moment, I'm living about an hour outside the city where I bought it. In a town of less then 100 people, in the middle of nowhere.

I have a 2 year warranty on it.

This is what I consider my transition tv. Pretty much just for dvds and getting my feet wet in hd. Once things involving hd-dvd, dvi/hdcp, etc... iron out I'll be in the market for a new set. Especially since the Panny doesn't have dvi/hdcp. This wasn't exactly an expensive set.

I haven't had any other problems with it and it looks the same, if not better, then when it popped. And again, this is in the 'known tweaks' section on the panny.tv site, where nothing like what you said was or has been ever brought up there.

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
With Digital chassis', the old days of looking for retrace and then backing it down until it disappears are long gone (and a nefarious practice). This method is akin to having to had set points in the rotor for timing in an automobile...it is an ancient practice.
These TVs have a diagnostic bus that checks a myriad of items and looks for accord with the "jungle" chip (or bus manager, among other things). Perhaps you got lucky and your adjustment fell into range, but that is a rarity.
Known tips or tweaks aren't necessarily compatible with the manufacturers wishes on things. Some parameters stated in service manuals are found to be merely suggestions, and others are gospel. Generally, those specifying CRT plate voltage are not to be considered a "suggestion", just as the digital timing mapping for your cars engine is not just a "guideline".
This isn't meant for readers to question tweaks per se, but after all, there is a disclaimer at the heading on all forum tweak sections that issues a caveat...and that isn't going to get you too far with the warranty folks.
Bottom line: As a novice, do not use "Screen" adjustments for Grayscale and Color decoder issues.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I guess a lot of people used this method when their Panny popped. (pretty common for Panny's the last couple years I guess) A lot of them were popping multiple times as well.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
More Updates.

My TV has been put back together.:) Geometry was unaffected and convergence was only slightly off in all viewing modes. Brightness and Contrast seem to be higher now and so I have turned them down even further as per Avia and my preferences. Could this be due to the high voltage capacitors they replaced on each CRT board?

In any event, I think the TV is back to normal. Still appears maybe a little blueish. I may finally have my set ISF'ed to get the colors more accurate. I've been saying that for two years now.:D Fortunately my income tax bill wasn't quite as bad as originally estimated and I may have the spare cash. Welcome to Canada, land of hockey and taxes.

Thanks to everyone who replied and chimed in.

Steve

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Glad to hear that everything seems to be back up to snuff again.

For many of the Panny people that had the pop ... they just eyeballed it back and have not had much of a problem after that. (worst case, it happened to all three crts')

Of course Panny TV is back up again. Brett was doing maintenance.

Steve ... I'm sure we can work something out ... :wink:

Regards

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

I thought you might say that, it's all too conveinient that you live only 15-20 minutes from me and shocking that I haven't used your services yet.:D I think you've broken down the costs for me in the past but I have forgotten. Could you please e-mail some estimates for different levels of callibration services?

Thanks,

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks