Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How to tame "slap echo?"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 12:45 AM

While putting together my new HT room, I noticed that it had a nasty case of slap echo. How do I tame this? Help!!!
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 03:01 AM

It’s caused by hard surfaces – concrete, glass, hardwoods, etc. - and parallel walls (i.e., a rectangular room). Not much you can do about the latter, but for the former all you need to do is apply acoustic treatments – like carpet, for an extreme and unattractive example. Draperies, tapestries, etc. are other options.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 08:55 AM

Wayne,

Thanks for the help! I think it's due (mostly) to the rectangular-ish shape of my room, but adding softer surfaces has helped a bit. I just didn't know if I needed one of those diffuser do-hickies!
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz