Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

EBS shiva question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Ryan T

Ryan T

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 09:33 AM

Hi,

I've decided to build an EBS shiva. I want to fallow the Adire plans for the sake of simplicity. I have a few questions before i go and build the box. First can I use a regular 4" PVC pipe without too much port noise? If I have to use a flared vent kit can i use this one instead of the adire port?

http://www.partsexpr....D=117898&DID=7 .

It looks like it's the same thing adire sells but cheaper. I also have some other things I've been wanting to get from PE so I could save on shipping. I figure if i go for the 4" PVC vent I could always enlarge the hole and put a flared vent in there. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Ryan

#2 of 6 Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 11:57 AM

Ryan, I'd just go with the flared port from PE. They're very easy to use and a great price.
God bless!
jeffrey noel

As we slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

#3 of 6 TimForman

TimForman

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 11:59 AM

You don't HAVE to use a flared port but it's recommended. The kit from PE is the same thing.

#4 of 6 Ryan T

Ryan T

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 03:10 PM

So the PE flared vent has the exact same measurements as the adire vent? If thats the case I should be able to build the box to adire's specs and just plop the Pe vent in right. Also how much polyfil (if any) should I use inside the box?

Thanks,
Ryan

#5 of 6 Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit

• 481 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 12:17 AM

The PE 4-inch flared port is made by "precision sounds" or something. Like Tim says, the Adire port is the same thing. I also believe the SVS port is the same exact thing, too.

I wouldn't use any polyfill stuffing. You might want to line the cabinet walls with poly batting, though. Unless you go nuts with it and use way too much, lining the walls won't change the alignment by a significant amount.

#6 of 6 Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted April 08 2003 - 12:23 AM

Yes, an EBS Shiva should use 142L Vb and the full-length PE 4" "Precision Port". This is an excellent sub.
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com