Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tivo command sounds are gone!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Chris Kane

Chris Kane

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 06:12 AM

Okay, I know this is nit-picky but I'd sure like to know why my DirecTivo (Philips DSR6000) is no longer making the familiar command sounds it used to (You know, the cartoon-like sounds when you navigate through menus or the "BONG" sound when you try to forward when there is no more green bar ahead?). My Tivo used to be connected directly to my projector. I lost the sound when I changed two things. I hooked-up my new B&K Ref 50 and switched audio from analog to optical. I hope someone has an answer so I don't have to go through a process of elimination. Thanks, Chris Never mind. I knew I should have searched the Tivo Community forum before posting this! If anyone cares - series1 units can't encode these sounds on Dolby.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Bruce N

Bruce N

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 08:03 AM

Yep, no Tivo sounds when using the optical connection. Bruce
"Why do I get the feeling you'll be the death of me?"

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor

• 714 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted April 04 2003 - 05:05 AM

[quote] Yep, no Tivo sounds when using the optical connection. [quote]Maybe it's because I have the Hughes HDVR2, but my sounds are only gone when the program displayed has DD sound (no matter how many channels).

-Christian
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   MikeM

MikeM

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 10:10 AM

Just do this: Keep your hookup as is via an optical conneciton, but also hook up the composite (red and white) audio jacks to your TV's input that you use for TiVo. Turn your TV's sound to something fairly soft to like 6 or 7, and then you'll hear the TiVo command sounds via your TV set. You won't be able to hear the sounds via your receiver when hooked up via an optical connection using DD, but the TiVo does send the command sounds out via composite at the same time. It'll work, thats what i do with my Sony T60 DTivo.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Chris Kane

Chris Kane

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted April 13 2003 - 06:48 AM

MikeM, Thx for the good advice! When I have my cables run under the house I'll make sure that composite is included. Christian, IT IS because you have a series II. They just can't encode to the dolby bit stream. Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users