Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Landmark Theatres and Microsoft: Windows Media 9 in Theaters!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 04:49 AM

http://biz.yahoo.com.../sfth027_1.html

Thursday April 3, 9:00 am ET

Landmark Theatres and Microsoft Create the Largest Digital Cinema Circuit In the United States

Windows Media 9 Series Expands Opportunity for Independent Distributors And Filmmakers With Tangible Cost Savings and Flexibility

LOS ANGELES and REDMOND, Wash., April 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Today Landmark Theatres and Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT - News) announced that they are equipping 177 screens in all 53 Landmark Theatres across the United States with digital cinema playback systems based on Microsoft® Windows Media® 9 Series. This unprecedented agreement represents the largest digital cinema theater circuit installation to date in the United States.
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 04:57 AM

I guess that test-run with Standing In The Shadows Of Motown this fall did pretty well. On the one hand... ugh. I have yet to be impressed with digital exhibition, and that's with the (I believe) more-powerful DLP system. Still, given the types of movies that Landmark shows and how thin the margins can be, this may make distribution a lot more cost-effective (meaning I get to see that indie film I'd never heard of).
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter

• 1,088 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 07:38 AM

The idea here is to lower the bar-to-entry for small, independant films; rather then spend 6 figures striking a film master and copies, bring along a .wmv file, and actually get it shown in theatres.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 07:57 AM

[quote] [quote]

I don't know much about the application software, but if it's dependent on any of Microsoft's usual panoply of feeble, bugridden operating systems, it will be a comedown ("lowering the bar"), indeed.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 08:41 AM

[quote] I don't know much about the application software, but if it's dependent on any of Microsoft's usual panoply of feeble, bugridden operating systems, it will be a comedown ("lowering the bar"), indeed. [quote] I think that Shayne’s point is well taken. Because of the lack of digital projection systems in commercial outlets, low-budget filmmakers have a Hobson’s choice: they can shoot reasonably cheaply in HD video, more expensively in 16mm or considerably more expensively in 35mm. Should they choose video, at the present time they must transfer their video to either 16mm, which is probably more than most of their budgets or to 35mm which as Shayne accurately points out is in the six-figure range.

Surely for these filmmakers another option is a good thing.
¡Time is not my master!

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 08:42 AM

Can't wait to see the blue screen of death in 40ft DLP glory! Posted Image

--
Holadem

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 08:46 AM

[quote] On the one hand... ugh. I have yet to be impressed with digital exhibition, [quote] I saw Attack of the Clones in the one theatre in the Dallas area that was equipped with the TI system necessary for digital projection and I was pretty impressed.

I noticed some problems at the edges on a few scenes (but I was sitting in the second row Posted Image), but overall it was pretty good.

I did not like the movie well enough to see it a second time. So I can’t compare to a film projection.
¡Time is not my master!

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter

• 1,088 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 08:58 AM

Just as an addon, guys, this isn't meant to replace film, or even DLP. It's to allow Joe Average to make a nice film on his iMac or his XP box, the kind you'd find on ifilm.com or something, and actually have a reasonable hope in hell of getting it shown in something approaching a real theatre. Kind of like when CD Burners became cheap, suddenly garage bands could crank out a few hundred actual music CDs and get them distributed somehow. All of these cheap shots at Microsoft are kind of disturbing; folks, this is a *good idea* that may very well allow some very talented individuals to get some great starts that would otherwise be denied to them.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

• 1,494 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 09:22 AM

Does that mean our screens are going to have a huge "Intel Inside" sticker on the bottom right corner? "A fatal exception error has occurred. Please see manager for refund, because it ain't our fault."

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Christopher P

Christopher P

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 10:07 AM

...or if you experience an error, just reboot (leave the theater and come back in). Chris

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 12:28 PM

[quote] Can't wait to see the blue screen of death in 40ft DLP glory! [quote] I was just about to say that!
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 03 2003 - 02:25 PM

I saw Fellowship of the Ring EE in DLP at their special showings last year and thought it looked as good or better than any film print of it I'd seen. (Though I did notice a slight amount of ringing when they were walking up the side of the snowy mountain.)

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 05:39 AM

Well, these boxes running Windows Media 9 will likely not have been put together by a pimply-faced, technician wannabe, using parts from 18 different questionable vendors, and running 300+ pieces of software from all manner of hack coders. So, I'm guessing that crashing won't be an issue. I wonder what the picture quality will be. Todd
I love to singa, about the moon-a, and the june-a, and the springa...
-Owl Jolson

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 07:24 AM

Yeah they are put togheter from only one questionable vendor:Microsoft! I see the implication here for small time movie makers,but when I see that MS is involved,I'm suddenly less enthusiastic about it.

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   LennyP

LennyP

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 10:10 AM

What happened to Texas Instruments' DLP? I like it, couple of theaters in LA have it, will this be a rival digital technology then? Either way it sucks.
Top: 1-10 | 11-20 | Complete Archives | Discs: 1397
New R1: Cube SE | Cube² | Noir Vol.1 | .hack//Sign Vol.1 | RahXephon Vol.1 | Assassins | Judge Dredd | One Hour Photo | Unfaithful

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 01:48 PM

Different audiences. DLP is mostly being installed in mainstream theaters, and I imagine it's closer to acceptable quality than this new Microsoft system. However, it's still relatively expensive to install and maintain, whereas this system is designed for smaller venues and likely require less maintenance.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users