Landmark Theatres and Microsoft: Windows Media 9 in Theaters!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Vince Maskeeper, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Lead Actor

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030403/sfth027_1.html

Thursday April 3, 9:00 am ET

Landmark Theatres and Microsoft Create the Largest Digital Cinema Circuit In the United States

Windows Media 9 Series Expands Opportunity for Independent Distributors And Filmmakers With Tangible Cost Savings and Flexibility

LOS ANGELES and REDMOND, Wash., April 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Today Landmark Theatres and Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT - News) announced that they are equipping 177 screens in all 53 Landmark Theatres across the United States with digital cinema playback systems based on Microsoft® Windows Media® 9 Series. This unprecedented agreement represents the largest digital cinema theater circuit installation to date in the United States.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I guess that test-run with Standing In The Shadows Of Motown this fall did pretty well.

On the one hand... ugh. I have yet to be impressed with digital exhibition, and that's with the (I believe) more-powerful DLP system. Still, given the types of movies that Landmark shows and how thin the margins can be, this may make distribution a lot more cost-effective (meaning I get to see that indie film I'd never heard of).

3. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

The idea here is to lower the bar-to-entry for small, independant films; rather then spend 6 figures striking a film master and copies, bring along a .wmv file, and actually get it shown in theatres.

4. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Can't wait to see the blue screen of death in 40ft DLP glory! [​IMG]

--
    Holadem

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

8. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Just as an addon, guys, this isn't meant to replace film, or even DLP. It's to allow Joe Average to make a nice film on his iMac or his XP box, the kind you'd find on ifilm.com or something, and actually have a reasonable hope in hell of getting it shown in something approaching a real theatre.

Kind of like when CD Burners became cheap, suddenly garage bands could crank out a few hundred actual music CDs and get them distributed somehow.

All of these cheap shots at Microsoft are kind of disturbing; folks, this is a *good idea* that may very well allow some very talented individuals to get some great starts that would otherwise be denied to them.

9. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Does that mean our screens are going to have a huge "Intel Inside" sticker on the bottom right corner?

"A fatal exception error has occurred. Please see manager for refund, because it ain't our fault."

10. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

...or if you experience an error, just reboot (leave the theater and come back in).

Chris

11. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

12. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I saw Fellowship of the Ring EE in DLP at their special showings last year and thought it looked as good or better than any film print of it I'd seen. (Though I did notice a slight amount of ringing when they were walking up the side of the snowy mountain.)

13. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Well, these boxes running Windows Media 9 will likely not have been put together by a pimply-faced, technician wannabe, using parts from 18 different questionable vendors, and running 300+ pieces of software from all manner of hack coders.

So, I'm guessing that crashing won't be an issue.

I wonder what the picture quality will be.

Todd

14. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Yeah they are put togheter from only one questionable vendor:Microsoft!
    I see the implication here for small time movie makers,but when I see that MS is involved,I'm suddenly less enthusiastic about it.

15. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

What happened to Texas Instruments' DLP? I like it, couple of theaters in LA have it, will this be a rival digital technology then? Either way it sucks.

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Different audiences. DLP is mostly being installed in mainstream theaters, and I imagine it's closer to acceptable quality than this new Microsoft system. However, it's still relatively expensive to install and maintain, whereas this system is designed for smaller venues and likely require less maintenance.