Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Pal/NTSC question...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Jimmy M

Jimmy M

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 12:23 PM

Hopefully this is the correct forum, as it deals with DVDs being played. Posted Image

I have downloaded some homemade audio commentary MP3 files which were created using a PAL source. Now, what I would like to do is to create an MP3 file with the speed adjusted so that it plays correctly with an NTSC DVD. What I need to know is if there is a way to do this.

Alternately, is there a DVD program for the PC which lets one adjust the speed of a DVD being played, so that I can increase the speed of the DVD?

And, if either of these things can be done, what would the proper speed be? I've seen 4% and 4.167% for how much faster PAL is, and the math portion of my brain is on vacation right now.

Thanks in advance!

"The way I live, kids would be redundant." - JMS

www.heroscapers.com is a great resource if you play Heroscape!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 12:28 PM

you'll be fine actually. Going from PAL to NTSC is fine. It's when you go from NTSC (29.97fps) or film (24fps) to PAL that you run into problems

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

• 3,762 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted March 31 2003 - 06:07 PM

[quote] you'll be fine actually. Going from PAL to NTSC is fine. [quote]

Since when? Jimmy's commentaries will be 4.166666(and so on)% shorter than the NTSC DVDs he will be playing them with.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera

• 1,302 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 07:21 PM

Cool Edit Pro can do this.

1. Under Effects -> Time/Pitch -> Stretch

2. Under the Constant Stretch tab, change one of the following: Ratio to 95.833(or 4.167% slower; probably more accurate); Length to the desired duration(in seconds). Changing one will automatically change the other.

3. Under Stretching Mode select Time Stretch(preserves pitch).

4. Under Pitch and Time Settings select Choose appropriate defaults.

5. Save as new file.

Whether you want to convert the file to WAV first or edit/save directly to MP3 is your call. Good luck, because I haven't experimented with this much. Posted Image
"It is not, and never should be, the policy of the law to require the protection of the foolhardy or reckless few and therefore to deprive, or interfere with, the enjoyment by the remainder of society of the liberties and amenities to which they are rightly entitled." -unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users