What's new

Where to buy DVD cases? (1 Viewer)

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I tried doing a search but I have the hardest time getting ANY results. I wish we had the ability to use the google interface, I can find just about anything using it - even obscure computer parts....well I digress.

Recommendations on websites for single/double/multipack DVD cases?

Thanks

CF

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I scored about 80 DVD cases from Blockbuster last night for a total of $0.00 . I couldn't believe it. I'm looking at this huge bag of cases sitting by the door. So I ask the cashier "Are those going in the garbage?" She replies "Yep" So I ask "Do you mind if I take them for ya?" "Go ahead." So 80 DVD cases out the door for $0 . So far I've found 1 double amray but the rest are single. Just thought I'd mention this so others might be able to take advantage.

Good luck

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator
You could just call up AOL & Earthlink and ask for the free disc to get a free month worth of service. After the course of a year, you'll prolly get dozens of discs in the DVD-type cases... :)

Rob

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"you'll prolly get dozens of discs in the DVD-type cases..."

Yea, but those stickers SUCK! I have about 10 of those at home and I have the hardest time getting the sticker off, even with goo be gone. Then when your done the cases look scuffed.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
robertlp, do they always send em in DVD style cases. I often get them in cardboard mailers.

Another good source is www.cyberdisk.org .

I have ordered from them twice and been pretty happy with their keepcases.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yep check blockbuster they throw away the singles by the hundreds.

Nathan McMahan

Stunt Coordinator
Kinda disappointing on that there search feature. I've had the same thing happen to me before. Anyway, this little thread circulated about a week or so ago. Here's what I found

A little reasearch on DVD cases

Thinpaks: (Twilight Zone)
US Plastics usplastic.com (800 537 9724)
.40 each (5% discount for 130 or more, 10% discount for 260 or more)
i.e. 300 comes to 108.00 with discount (total with shipping--126.02)

Slim doubles: (Minority Report, Star Wars, Stargate UE) approx. 9/16” wide (same as a standard DVD case)
Cyberdisk cyberdisk.com (860 564 2444)
**updated**
This now routes you to Wagar Associates, Inc their parent company wagarassoc.com
They are .80 each (12 for 9.60, 25 for 20.00)
Unfortunately they are out until April 7th

Slim triples: (Back to the Future, Canadian Brotherhood of Wolf) approx. 1” wide
Sleeve City sleevetown.com (901 380 4168)
Case of 10 for 16.95 (total including shipping 22.70)

They also have standard doubles (¾” wide) at 10 for 14.95
They also have a new add-a-page system that allows for a DVD sleeve to fit in the booklet clips.
These are 10 for 3.00, 50 for 13.50.
They sell the quads and quints in 48 count lots and the sextuples and septuplets in 40 count lots

Quadruples: (holds 4) approx. 1 ½” wide
(UFO set 1 & 2) best for Scream, Lethal Weapon, Batman,
Quintuples: (holds 5) approx 1 ½” wide (same as quads)
Best for Alien legacy, Pink Panther
Sextuples (holds 6): approx. 2” wide
Best for Die Hard 5 star set, Planet of the Apes
Septuplets (holds 7): approx 2” wide (same size as sextuples)
Alfred Hitchcock collection, Monty Python fits in 2

Best place to get the above:
Vernon library supplies vernlib.com http://64.71.141.130/alphadvd1.asp (800 878 0253)
Prices are for quantities between 1 and 29.
Quads: 1.99 each
Sextuples: 2.65 each
Septuplets: 2.95 each
They also have standard doubles (¾’ wide): 1.75 each

Also:
Inetdvd inetdvd.com (651 735 2272)
Slim Doubles and Standard Doubles (both are 1.49 each and both are out of stock)
Triples: 2.99 each (these are the same width as the quads, even though they are called slim triples)
Quads: 3.24 each
Quints: 3.49 each (out of stock)
Sextuples: 3.74 each
Septuplets: 3.99 each

Both allow orders for small lots, neither carries the quintuples.

Bags unlimited bagsunlimited.com
Slim doubles: 5 for 12.50, 10 for 20.00
Thinpaks: 5 for 4.75, 10 for 4.75

I've dealt with both cyberdisk, sleevetown, usplastics and inetdvd. All are great.

If you're looking just for standard cases, I have singles boxed up in cases of 30. You can have 'em for 3.00 plus exact shipping, just e mail me with your address. I also have standard doubles in 15 case lots for 5.00.

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Just go to BB and see if they have any demo disc 2 left. I got a few a while back and they work great. I bought them for $0.01 each and replaced some of my broken cases.

L8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Andy Overby

Stunt Coordinator
Ok guys, check this out.

This area has like 4 Blockbusters. I went around last night to 3 of them and checked the dumpsters in the rears of the stores. BINGO, 1 had nothing, 1 had two large bags full of cases and Styrofoam, and the last one had three large bags with cases and Styrofoam. Got them home last night and I just got through sorting the cases from the Styrofoam. I now have 329 Single DVD cases, various hub designs, but tons of amarays. I got 12 slim double amaray style cases. I got 16 of the locking security type BB standard rental cases (they just threw them away!) and I got 4 PS2 cases, the type with the hub and memory card holder built in. So all in all I came up with 361 cases for the huge price of $0.00 and 30 mins of my time.

There were actually lots more, I had to throw about 30 away due to damage to the hub or outer plastics.

And interestingly, there were inserts in just about every case that I got, I bet I threw away a ton of paper.

Now before you guys go to fussing at me for taking GARBAGE, I did check to make sure that dumpster diving is legal. There was a supreme court case that said that taking trash is not a crime, and it is not theft unless the item holds a value to the owner, and since people can not claim trash as having value (you threw it away!) it is not considered theft. Two things to look for, 1) if your local town or municipality has laws against trash taking, (and most do, but only on collection days, so people won't get in the trash collectors way) and 2) if there are signs saying stay away or no trespassing signs posted, you could get in trouble for that. But I would bet in most places, if you were seen by Law enforcement, they wouldn't bother you anyway.

One man's trash is another man’s treasure!

Good luck and try to stay legal!

-Andy Overby

Oh, and... you could also say that I should just ask for them. Well, I did at all of the different BB's, and they say that they will not give these away, they said that they have many people asking for them and keeping a list of who gets what would be too much work. I then replied, "Sell them to me, Ill give you .02 for each of them and take them off your hands, and you will have some extra cash for the store. They said no, we can't do that either. I just dont understand corporate America. A chance to make a buck, and they are not expoiting it. I guarantee I will continue to check on a regular basis for cases!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
They probably wouldn't know what product number to key them in for the .02 per unit! :D

GabrielleG

Stunt Coordinator
Andy is right. I was told by my BB manager( I call her Ms. Biatchi) that they can't give the cases away. I'm sure that some places may be willing to break that rule but neither of the two I went to will. I even offered to bring their lock cases back. Unfortunatley, i'm also pretty sure that my blockbusters have locks on their dumpsters, so no diving for me.

Gabrielle

Andy Overby

Stunt Coordinator
Well my take on it is, if they ever do get around to selling them instead of throwing them away, they will try to sell them for like 1.99 anyways.

Keep throwing them away, I dont mind looking!

-Andy

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Andy:
I couldn't believe it either. Why anyone would pay for DVD cases is beyond me. I don't know why no one has mentioned this deal in the past. At least I have'nt seen anyone post about it. Maybe they were keeping the secret to themselves.

But the question still remains Andy....What does one do with 329 DVD cases? The 80 I scored is about the perfect amount to convert my snapper cases to the amray style.

Chet

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Stupid question time:

Since Blockbuster sells all their previously-viewed disks (in cases), why are they throwing away cases?

Jon

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Jon_Are:

Well, you have to realize your dealing with a stupid company in a lot of aspects. They sell all of their used DVDs in the Blockbuster cases and only give you the amray cases if you ask. At least that's my experience. Trying to wrap your mind around Blockbusters business decisions is an effort in futility. Good luck.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Yes, definitely stupid, b/c then they have to buy even more of their locking cases. You would think they would have "X" number of locking cases, then when they sell the PV, put them back in the original cases and keep the locking cases for more incoming rentals.

Andy Overby

Stunt Coordinator
Well actually I bought a case of 100 DVD cases about 6 months ago to start replacing all of my snappers. Im down to 6 now and was in need of some more, so I asked at my local blockbuster and got turned down, so I started looking in the trash (why not??)

The 100 that I bought previously had a lousy hub design, so I am going to replace those first thing, then I may try to sell them off, doubt I could get anything much for them, but who knows.

Ill keep another 50-100 or so for future needs and keep all of the double slim cases for digipak case replacement.

That leave me with like 200 I dont really need, Ill prolly auction them off in one large lot on ebay.

Happy Hunting!

-Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks