What's new

Merged Thread: Who Framed Roger Rabbit Problems (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else think there was a lot of "flickering" on this transfer? Like when you're at a movie theater and the projector bulb isn't constant, like the whole screen lightens and darkens periodically?

BTW - I have nearly 500 DVDs and am watching on an ISF'd HDTV so I'm pretty sure it's not my setup that's the problem...

David Glenn

Second Unit
The dvd freezes multiple times for about 10 seconds. This is probably due to the fact that I played it on my Sony DVP-S9000ES as this problem is similar to the problem many sony player owners had with the Spy Kids 2 dvd.

Any other sony owners having this problem?

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
So I picked up my copy of Who framed Roger Rabbit yesterday just as I presume that some of you may have done. Well there is allot of extras on this DVD. Though I found that the navigation of the DVD was not all that obvious.

The reason that I am posting here is that while I was watching my copy of the Movie. It froze on me 4 times. Once was during the layer transfer or so I presume as it stopped for a split second and continued on its own. The other 3 instances that it froze it just totally stopped the image like as if I had paused it. But this was not the case.

If I "rew" the movie just a bit and started it again, it would continue passed the point where it had frozen previously.

Have any other people had the same circumstance happen to them? Would like to hear about it. I am wondering if I just have a defective copy of the movie. I will try to post the exact track where my movie froze in the next post if I see that other like myself were having issues with this disk.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I didn't get mine yet, but it sounds like possibly a bad disc.

You should also post your exact DVD player make/model when reporting problems like this. Often only certain models have problems with specific discs. Others with your player can then confirm the problem or not.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Mine should arrive next week. I'm hoping your problem is just an isolated one. Sorry to hear about it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No freeze here.

I do have an issue with "flicker" though - in the sense that the picture flickers like when you watch a movie in a theater with a projector that doesn't have a lamp that provides smooth, constant light through the film. I noticed it quite a bit on this transfer.

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony DVPNS 9000 ES as my main DVD player in my home theater system.

I know that it froze twice close to the beginning of the disk after Tommy Trouble once close to the middle, so I assume that was the layer transfer and once about 10 minutes after the layer transfer. I will play it again and write down tracks and times for you.

David Glenn

Second Unit
Stephane,

I have a DVP-S9000ES. My copy of WFRR freezes for about 10 sec a few times as well. This problem may be limited to sony players which had the same problem with the Spy Kids 2 dvd. Both of which I beleive were produced by Buena Vista.

I'm going to try and play it on one of my non-sony players. I expect it will play fine .

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
mine doesnt freeze but i also see the flicker.

tosh 56x81 panny-rp91

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have a Panasonic RP56 and noticed some flicker on this as well, especially during the scene outside just after Eddie has been caught "with his pants down" with Jessica.
Yup! That's one place where it's bad! And I started to get worried since I have an RP91, and so does Tony and you have an RP56, that it might be a Panny problem. Well I just tested it out on my PC DVD-ROM and it's still there, so yeah it is something with the transfer. Weird. That scene is probably the "worst case" scenario as it's not like that the rest of the film, but you can spot subtler flickerings if you look for it...

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I own a JVC XVD723 and my copy of WFRR from DVDPLanet was defective.

BOTH discs wont even play in the player, they just keep getting ejected out.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh, one thing to add: though the film played fine on my RP91 (except for the aforementioned flickering which I believe to be attributable to the transfer), it did freeze right after the menu but before playing the movie on my PC DVD-ROM, I had to manually FF past the skip to get the movie to play. I did not watch it all the way through on my ROM (hey I just watched it last night on my HT!) so I don't know if it freezes while actually playing...

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
OK, not to bring up the whole BTTF debacle, but is there something wrong with the framing when Valiant is first walking down Sunset Blvd in the beginning of the movie? He starts looking at toons in the bottom half of the frame, and you can only see the very "tops" of them with most cut off. Was this intentional, or is this another framing problem?

Disclaimer: I'm not complaining, I'd gladly keep these discs as is as it didn't at all ruin my viewing experience, it's more just to satisfy my curiosity.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Good question Tom. I think it was intentional simply because of this (and yes I noticed it too and thus why I investigated): On the "family friendly" (full frame) version it doesn't seem to contain much more of the characters at Valiant's feet. It's not like you get to see the whole characters or even any of their full heads. You might be able to see a little more but not enough to warrant any claims of misframing. I could be wrong, though, and if someone else wants to chime in on this topic who is more knowledgeable, I would welcome the correction.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
OH GREAT! Another big release with problems. I'm going to stop buying before or on the release date so I can check to see if there are widespread problems with new releases.

I'll try to check out my copy of Roger Rabbit tonight or this weekend and report back then. I had the original release (no problems with it) but already gave it to a friend. Wouldn't be very nice if I asked for it back!:b

Like someone mentioned earlier, it would be very helpful if those who post here also let us know what DVD player(s) you are using to help establish a pattern.

JimmyK
Toshiba SD6200
Pioneer DV414

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
OK, not to bring up the whole BTTF debacle, but is there something wrong with the framing when Valiant is first walking down Sunset Blvd in the beginning of the movie? He starts looking at toons in the bottom half of the frame, and you can only see the very "tops" of them with most cut off. Was this intentional, or is this another framing problem?
I don't know if it was intentional, but that scene looks the same on the new DVD as it does on the original DVD.

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
I was expecting a little more punch with the color. The "flickering" is attributed to a faded print that was used. Noticing it, didn't excite me. All in all this is not a botched job by any means. Great disc.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I think that's how it looked when I saw the movie in the theater, although it has been awhile :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks