Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is there a way to quiet car engine tapping?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert_Z

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 11:09 AM

The lifters on my car make a loud tapping sound almost all the time, and I don't know how much more of it I can take. Posted Image

I have tried Slick 50, Marvin's Mystery Oil, and almost every different motor oil there is. Nothing works for more than a few days. Replacing the lifters will cost me almost $2K, so that is definitely not an option.

Can you all share some of your success stories of quieting those noisy lifters? Many thanks. Posted Image

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 11:38 AM

Is that engine knock you're hearing?
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Chris Derby

Chris Derby

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 12:13 PM

you could always use a heavier weight oil. that should quiet it down but it won't solve whatever is causing your problem.
-derby

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 12:15 PM

Need more info. Car make, age, miles, and the name of the schmuck who wanted to rape you for $2000 for top-end engine work.Posted Image

Generally speaking, though- it's pay me now or pay me later. If it's THAT loud, the engine may not last that much longer. It may not be the lifters, or you may just need an adjustment. It's almost impossible to say over the Net, particularly given that you don't seem like a "car guy."

Todd
I love to singa, about the moon-a, and the june-a, and the springa...
-Owl Jolson

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert_Z

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 03:08 PM

Quote:
Need more info. Car make, age, miles, and the name of the schmuck who wanted to rape you for $2000 for top-end engine work.

Generally speaking, though- it's pay me now or pay me later. If it's THAT loud, the engine may not last that much longer. It may not be the lifters, or you may just need an adjustment. It's almost impossible to say over the Net, particularly given that you don't seem like a "car guy."

I am not mechanically inclined, no. I have a 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT with 111k miles. I have read online that tapping lifters is a common occurrence with these cars and that it is not a danger to the engine. It is just embarrassing and annoying as heck.

I asked three different mechanics what they would charge for this job (replacing lifters) and they all said close to 2K. I am not worried about the engine giving out. It has been pretty loud for a couple of years now. The thing is, in rainy and colder weather, the tapping goes away. Well, it was warm and sunny today. So the tapping came back with a vengeance. Posted Image Maybe it would be cheaper for me to move to Seattle than to fix this car?

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:22 PM

Colder weather means colder running engine. Oil is thicker at colder temps than at warmer temps.

I'd follow Chris' recommendation as switch to a thicker oil. If you're using 5w-30 or 10w-30 you might want to try 20w-50.

This is a V6 with overhead cams, probably dual overhead cams and 4 valves per cylinder. 2k for new lifters may be about right for this model.

Mits. V6s aren't known for extreme longevity in general, generally crap out early in Chryco minivans (many thousands of which have Mits V6 engines) probably needs more than just lifters and probably not worth it.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Julian Reville

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

• 1,197 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 09:55 AM

111k miles....have you had the timing belt replaced?

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert_Z

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 11:11 AM

Quote:
111k miles....have you had the timing belt replaced?

Yes I replaced it at about 70k.

Quote:
Mits. V6s aren't known for extreme longevity in general, generally crap out early in Chryco minivans (many thousands of which have Mits V6 engines) probably needs more than just lifters and probably not worth it.

Other than the tapping, the engine performs just fine. That is what is so irritating. This sucker is paid for, so I will do what I can to quiet those lifters and remain car-payment free. Posted Image

So basically no one has a suggestion other than thicker oil? I am already on 20W-50, and it has made no difference.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 03:32 PM

I'm not familiar with that particular engine, but is the valvetrain adjustable? Noisy valvetrain is frequently caused by excessive clearance (if you were talking small block Chevys, I'd know just what to doPosted Image.

Has a qualified, HONEST service tech stated that this won't help, or can't be done?

I'm also of the opinion that thick oils (over 10W-30) do more harm than good in most modern engines. You end up starving the top end for several seconds on startup with that 20W. If it's not helping, I'd go back to the manufacturer's recommendations.

Todd
I love to singa, about the moon-a, and the june-a, and the springa...
-Owl Jolson

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Julian Reville

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

• 1,197 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 01:03 AM

Quote:
So basically no one has a suggestion other than thicker oil?

Sounds like it's time for a call to Click & Clack.Car Talk

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   ken thompson

ken thompson

Second Unit

• 255 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 03:47 AM

Lifters can be adjusted they do not necessarily need to be replaced.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   SteveA

SteveA

Supporting Actor

• 701 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 04:45 AM

Have you tried using higher octane gas? If you're using 87 octane, try 89 or 93 octane. If it's engine knock you're hearing, that might help.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,336 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 06:47 AM

Robert, it is your valve lash adjusters making this noise. There is a technical service bulletin out on this. PM me and I can fax it to you. No charge, of course.

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow