What's new

Is there a way to quiet car engine tapping? (1 Viewer)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
The lifters on my car make a loud tapping sound almost all the time, and I don't know how much more of it I can take. :angry:

I have tried Slick 50, Marvin's Mystery Oil, and almost every different motor oil there is. Nothing works for more than a few days. Replacing the lifters will cost me almost $2K, so that is definitely not an option.

Can you all share some of your success stories of quieting those noisy lifters? Many thanks. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Derby

Second Unit
you could always use a heavier weight oil. that should quiet it down but it won't solve whatever is causing your problem.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Need more info. Car make, age, miles, and the name of the schmuck who wanted to rape you for $2000 for top-end engine work.:)

Generally speaking, though- it's pay me now or pay me later. If it's THAT loud, the engine may not last that much longer. It may not be the lifters, or you may just need an adjustment. It's almost impossible to say over the Net, particularly given that you don't seem like a "car guy."

Todd

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Need more info. Car make, age, miles, and the name of the schmuck who wanted to rape you for $2000 for top-end engine work.

Generally speaking, though- it's pay me now or pay me later. If it's THAT loud, the engine may not last that much longer. It may not be the lifters, or you may just need an adjustment. It's almost impossible to say over the Net, particularly given that you don't seem like a "car guy."
I am not mechanically inclined, no. I have a 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT with 111k miles. I have read online that tapping lifters is a common occurrence with these cars and that it is not a danger to the engine. It is just embarrassing and annoying as heck.

I asked three different mechanics what they would charge for this job (replacing lifters) and they all said close to 2K. I am not worried about the engine giving out. It has been pretty loud for a couple of years now. The thing is, in rainy and colder weather, the tapping goes away. Well, it was warm and sunny today. So the tapping came back with a vengeance. :frowning: Maybe it would be cheaper for me to move to Seattle than to fix this car?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Colder weather means colder running engine. Oil is thicker at colder temps than at warmer temps.

I'd follow Chris' recommendation as switch to a thicker oil. If you're using 5w-30 or 10w-30 you might want to try 20w-50.

This is a V6 with overhead cams, probably dual overhead cams and 4 valves per cylinder. 2k for new lifters may be about right for this model.

Mits. V6s aren't known for extreme longevity in general, generally crap out early in Chryco minivans (many thousands of which have Mits V6 engines) probably needs more than just lifters and probably not worth it.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Mits. V6s aren't known for extreme longevity in general, generally crap out early in Chryco minivans (many thousands of which have Mits V6 engines) probably needs more than just lifters and probably not worth it.
Other than the tapping, the engine performs just fine. That is what is so irritating. This sucker is paid for, so I will do what I can to quiet those lifters and remain car-payment free. :D

So basically no one has a suggestion other than thicker oil? I am already on 20W-50, and it has made no difference.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I'm not familiar with that particular engine, but is the valvetrain adjustable? Noisy valvetrain is frequently caused by excessive clearance (if you were talking small block Chevys, I'd know just what to do;).

Has a qualified, HONEST service tech stated that this won't help, or can't be done?

I'm also of the opinion that thick oils (over 10W-30) do more harm than good in most modern engines. You end up starving the top end for several seconds on startup with that 20W. If it's not helping, I'd go back to the manufacturer's recommendations.

Todd

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Have you tried using higher octane gas? If you're using 87 octane, try 89 or 93 octane. If it's engine knock you're hearing, that might help.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Robert, it is your valve lash adjusters making this noise. There is a technical service bulletin out on this. PM me and I can fax it to you. No charge, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks