Is there a way to quiet car engine tapping?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Robert_Z, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

The lifters on my car make a loud tapping sound almost all the time, and I don't know how much more of it I can take. [​IMG]

I have tried Slick 50, Marvin's Mystery Oil, and almost every different motor oil there is. Nothing works for more than a few days. Replacing the lifters will cost me almost $2K, so that is definitely not an option.

Can you all share some of your success stories of quieting those noisy lifters? Many thanks. [​IMG]

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Is that engine knock you're hearing?

3. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

you could always use a heavier weight oil. that should quiet it down but it won't solve whatever is causing your problem.

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Need more info. Car make, age, miles, and the name of the schmuck who wanted to rape you for $2000 for top-end engine work.[​IMG]

Generally speaking, though- it's pay me now or pay me later. If it's THAT loud, the engine may not last that much longer. It may not be the lifters, or you may just need an adjustment. It's almost impossible to say over the Net, particularly given that you don't seem like a "car guy."

Todd

5. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Colder weather means colder running engine. Oil is thicker at colder temps than at warmer temps.

I'd follow Chris' recommendation as switch to a thicker oil. If you're using 5w-30 or 10w-30 you might want to try 20w-50.

This is a V6 with overhead cams, probably dual overhead cams and 4 valves per cylinder. 2k for new lifters may be about right for this model.

Mits. V6s aren't known for extreme longevity in general, generally crap out early in Chryco minivans (many thousands of which have Mits V6 engines) probably needs more than just lifters and probably not worth it.

7. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

111k miles....have you had the timing belt replaced?

8. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I'm not familiar with that particular engine, but is the valvetrain adjustable? Noisy valvetrain is frequently caused by excessive clearance (if you were talking small block Chevys, I'd know just what to do[​IMG].

Has a qualified, HONEST service tech stated that this won't help, or can't be done?

I'm also of the opinion that thick oils (over 10W-30) do more harm than good in most modern engines. You end up starving the top end for several seconds on startup with that 20W. If it's not helping, I'd go back to the manufacturer's recommendations.

Todd

10. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

11. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

Lifters can be adjusted they do not necessarily need to be replaced.

12. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Have you tried using higher octane gas? If you're using 87 octane, try 89 or 93 octane. If it's engine knock you're hearing, that might help.

13. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Robert, it is your valve lash adjusters making this noise. There is a technical service bulletin out on this. PM me and I can fax it to you. No charge, of course.