What's new

Regarding odors, is it just me or... (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
does anyone else avoid smelling foul odors whenever possible? Smell is made possible by a particle touching your nose. With that in mind, if we smell a fart it is because a particle that was once inside someone's ass is now inside our bodies.

I usually incorporate the "out of (smell), out of mind" rule when using the restroom. But when the odor is particularly foul, I tend to hold my breath as much as possible until I leave. This causes me to take care of business as soon as I can.

Anybody else think of this? Hello...is this mike on? Are you picking up what I'm throwing down?

I only ask to see if I'm alone on this one. I never considered myself phobic (not clinically) but I notice that my awareness is growing with age. I know that in the grand scheme of things the particles are harmless but still unsettling when you think about it.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
if we smell a fart it is because a particle that was once inside someone's ass is now inside our bodies
:laugh:
This has to be one of the funniest things I have read here in a while.

I prefer to avoid foul smelling things, but never quite looked at it this way.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
does anyone else avoid smelling foul odors whenever possible? Smell is made possible by a particle touching your nose. With that in mind, if we smell a fart it is because a particle that was once inside someone's ass is now inside our bodies.
Guess it's better to breath through your nose rather your mouth then, right?

Peace Out~:D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
dude, i think you may have so many issues going on that you're gonna need your own magazine rack pretty darn quick!

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Actually I've had the same thought and came to the same conclusion.

I used to hold my breath around bad odors and potential bad odors, such as people that might possibly smell.

But I've gotten over it by justifying it with my chemistry knowledge. Those molecules don't carry "germs", they are just bits of carbon and other elements. And really, who knows where that molecule has been since the beginning of time? Probably far worse places than someone's ass.

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
This is an area that just annoys me...especially coworkers that smell like B.O. or smoke who come to my desk and look over my shoulder. I'll try and move as far to the left or right to avoid the smell. I just find it offensive.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Nope, not me. I go searching for an area that has a foul odor and stand there for hours on end. I love it.

:confused:
I hear ya! I am not sure what Hunter is trying to achieve? Anyway, since you asked, I believe most humans act that same way, it's a natural reaction to hold your breath or move away when around unpleasant odors!

--
Holadem

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I hate to inform you guys/gals/people but your tongue is a contributor to what you smell.

Basically, to smell you must taste to some degree as well.

yeeeeeeuck!

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
So one who smells his own fart will be technically replacing used molecules with the same molecules.
make sense

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
especially coworkers that smell like B.O. or smoke who come to my desk and look over my shoulder
That's the WORST! I don't like smoke, but I can handle it to some degree, but that stale smoke that stays with a smoker afterwards is just repulsive!

I know we all joke about this, but I often wondered why this is so true: Why is it that we don't mind our own smells but can't stand other peoples smells? i.e. Why don't our own farts bother us, but every one elses do? Is it psychological?

I'd even go so far as to say that some people even like the smell of their own farts, but that's another topic altogether :)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I hate to inform you guys/gals/people but your tongue is a contributor to what you smell.
The opposite is a lot closer to the truth. That is, much of what we call "taste" is really "smell." Your tounge can only detect four flavors: salt, sweet, sour, bitter. Everything else that makes up the taste of food comes from our olfactory sense - that's why there's a airway connecting your mouth and your sinuses. This is also why food seems to have no taste when you have a cold. It isn't a coated tongue, but a stuffy nose that's the problem. Things like chicken soup are urged on cold sufferers because the strong salt and garlic flavors of well-made chicken soup can break through the bland barrier and encourage the person to eat.

Regards,

Joe

John Watson

Screenwriter
And don't we all love those touchless washrooms, where the urinal flushes in response to pee pressure, the hot air hand dryer senses your hand, and blows up a storm (tho usually for too short a time), yet you still have to pull open the door handle to get out the washroom, and get your hand wet from those who were in a greater hurry:)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
i've said it before, and i'll say it again...."you can't smell your own funk!".
But Why?

Joseph DeMartino,

Your post reminds me of something that I was just thinking about a few days ago. I have a sinus infection and I can't taste a thing. Then I thought about the sense of smell and taste...If we can't taste when we lose our sense of smell, then why do we have a sense of taste???

I remember one of those "Thinking" questions where they'd ask you bizarre questions. One was "If you had to lose 1 sense, which one would it be?"

I used to answer "Smell", but if the sense of smell would also eliminate my sense of taste, then I'd have to rethink my answer.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I sure as hell can small my own funk! And it was nasty, too!

Chili con carne does that to you.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

A sort of related thought: Why do we men flush a urinal before using it if the person before you failed to do so? Do we not want our urine to touch another's for sanitary reasons? There's no reason for it but I, like many others, do it anyway.

And another random thought: If a blind man can become Daredevil then what if someone lost their sense of smell (through a radioactive accident of course)? Where's that superhero comic? I would give him super x-ray sight that he developed to compensate for his handicap. With his super sense of taste, he could lick doorknobs to figure out how long ago a burglar left a room. It could happen, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks