Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Wall unit speaker placement

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Richard Moya

Richard Moya

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 06:52 AM

I recently purchased a new wall unit. It is the kind with 2 piers and a bridge across. I know my center will sit on the bridge above the television. The question is regarding my mains. There are 2 possible locations:
1.Shelves on each side of the piers that are above the listening area by about 2 feet. BTW, these are enclosed in all directions except the front.
2. Bottom shelves with doors that come with additional mesh panels. This suggests that the bottom are designed to have speakers placed inside. Im not a fan of either one, but I have no choice but to pick one.

Right now Im leaning toward the higher shelves. To me if a speaker is that low, the acoustics are just toast. Then again, Im a novice so Im only speculating.
Any ideas on which one and why would be great.

Thanks

#2 of 3 Richard Moya

Richard Moya

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 02:10 AM

TTT....anyone?

#3 of 3 Leon O

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 02:49 AM

Locating your mains higher will hopefully put your tweeters closer to a straight line with the center channel tweeter. I would think that would lead to a more seamless front.

However, in either situation, I would think that you would want to get as much space as possible around the speakers, so that would be a consideration when locating other components & "stuff"

If it was me, I would connect the mains with long speaker wire and the experiment with different locations. Depending upon your mains, you might also experient with rear ports (I use socks).

Good Luck!