What's new

CNN Drops Anchor Connie Chung (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Excuse me, but isn't that what you do with anchors.... drop them? :b

P.S. Interestingly, she had the highest rating of any of the CNN show hosts.

Rob T

Screenwriter
It's fascinating how they love to get rid of all the anchors that bring in the ratings.
Andrea Thompson, Connie Chung. Who's next? :)

MikeM

Screenwriter
Sorry, but this was a smart move. Over the last few years, her career has gone the way of Diane Sawyer. Basically, all fluff pieces and not real "news".

A friend of mine was at the Skywalker Ranch when she came by to interview George Lucas. She strolled in about 30 mins before the interview, wasn't prepared, and the interview was a bust.

Her Gary Condit interview (wasn't with CNN though) was the sign of her downfall. Nearly the first 30 solid minutes of "So did you sleep with her?", "But did you sleep with her?", "Ok then, did you sleep with her?"...

Now with war coverage going on, I'm sure CNN has enough recognizable faces in journalism that actually report news. Thus, she was a liability.

P.S. Dianne Sawyer singing with Whitney Houston?? Oh the humanity... :D

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Chung, in a statement, said she was surprised. Also it is known that she wanted to do a hard news show rather then the soft, interview type thing she was doing. A new management is in and they are going to be bringing in their own people... and that's the way it is. W.C.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I lost all respect for her with the whole "between you and me" thing...

No big loss.

(Of course, if one has any standards at all, it is increasingly difficult to have respect for any of today's journalists...)

-Scott

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I'v always liked Connie personally but I think she was the worst on CNN. She is the worst interviewer ever and always came off as very dumb. I also thought her show was awfully tabloid in presentation.

I don't think this is the end of the shake up over at CNN (or MSNBC for that matter who got rid of Donahue). Remember after 911, CNN got rid of their sports department, Bill Press (sp?) and The Spin Zone. I think CNN will use the war to get rid of several of their shows (I'm wondering if Crossfire and "the Final Round" of Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer will be put on hiatus until the end of the war. One thing I think has dissapeared from the news this past week has been political debate.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> One thing I think has dissapeared from the news this past week has been political debate.

Hannity & Colmes is back on, which is a Crossfire-type show.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Andrea Thompson was on CNN, but after a short period, maybe 6 months, she left CNN, and I think she was last seen on Court TV (or some legal channel).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Good call dumping Connie Chung. She was excruciating.

Now if they'd just dump Aaron Brown. He's constantly bumbling, stumbling, stammering along in his monotone. I always change the channel immediately if I turn to CNN and he's on.

Rob T

Screenwriter
Andrea Thompson was on CNN, but after a short period, maybe 6 months, she left CNN, and I think she was last seen on Court TV (or some legal channel).
yeah that's what I heard last too.
I think she did a B5 convention awhile back as well, but nothing recently.

James St

Supporting Actor
Now if they'd just dump Aaron Brown. He's constantly bumbling, stumbling, stammering along in his monotone. I always change the channel immediately if I turn to CNN and he's on.
I agree. I noticed Retired General Wesley Clark having to suppress his laughter on a few occasions.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Sorry, I wouldn't be caught dead watching FOX.
Since FOX News typically defeats CNN soundly in the ratings, it appears many would not be caught dead watching CNN. So the purge at CNN continues. When will they get it right? Maybe when they get a little fairer and more balanced? I find it excrutiating to watch both Aaron Brown and Chung. Can't watch either for more than five minutes, just too painful. I did not think it could get any worse after Bernie left CNN, but it has. If you are going to have a 24 hour news network, you have to make it both newsworthy and entertaining at the same time. Keeping news entertaining is where Fox has succeeded whereas as MSNBC and CNN has not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks