Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Roger Waters Berlin Wall DVD April

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Richard Fernandez

Richard Fernandez

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 08:58 AM

BERLIN WALL DVD
TO BE RELEASED IN
APRIL 2003

Roger Waters massive Wall concert in Berlin 1990 is to be released on DVD in April it has been confirmed. The DVD will feature the following extras.

5.1 surround sound (supervised by Roger Waters)
30 minute documentary about the lead up and days events
Animated feature by Gerald Scarfe
Design feature by Mark Fisher
Unseen footage showing Rupert Everett as Pink
Gerald Scarfe and Roger Waters commentary option

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 09:15 AM

Excellent news.

I wonder if they'll mention the sound failure and subsequent re-shooting of one of the songs though?
No longer here.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 10:04 AM

While I love Roger Waters and everything Pink Floyd, the Berlin The Wall left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe it was O'Conner's version of MOTHER. Learn the freaking song! But I'll probably get it as a Floyd fan can't pass up on anything released. Anyone get the Gilmour DVD? I've heard good and bad things about it.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 12:39 PM

I have the VHS. What the hell happened during "Don't Leave Me Now"? The picture looks like the camera was just spinning continuously around in a room with posters on the wall.
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   ChrisKe

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 06:27 PM

Jordan,

The Gilmour DVD is pretty good - I love his guitar rendition of the intro bits for Shine On...

CK

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted March 25 2003 - 07:35 PM

Thanks, ChrisKe
I was on the fence, but getting the SACD of DSOTM has me in the mood for more Floyd, even solo stuff.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 02:30 AM

I agree with ChrisKe. Only David Gilmour could distill the first half of "Shine On" down to its pure essence and play it on an acoustic guitar. But my favorite track on the DVD is the second half of "Shine On" when he plays lap steel.

I'm not sure if I'll buy The Wall Live in Berlin. I never bought the CD, but I did buy it on cassette. I just don't recall any really stand-out performances and it didn't rise above the novelty factor for me.
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Christopher P

Christopher P

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 03:15 AM

I have this on tape, not sure if I'll get the DVD, but I do enjoy the Waters/Scarfe commentary on "The Wall" so that might push me over the edge. I thought most of the performances were well done, nothing stands out as being particularly unenjoyable, except for maybe Comfortably Numb.

...the sound failure and subsequent re-shooting of one of the songs
I didn't know anything about this...what's the story?

Chris

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 03:28 AM

Quote:
I didn't know anything about this...what's the story?

During one of the early numbers - I think it was Baby Blue - (the song with German singer Ute Lemper) the sound dropped. I was at that concert and remember everything seemingly grinding to a half for a minute or so. The live broadcast was a bit more revealing, showing Waters coming out to the front of the stage, at first looking a bit p****d off then opening his arms out to the audience as if to say "Sorry folks!". The sound then kicked back in and things carried OK.

When the concert was released on video, that song had been changed. Gone was the sound drop and Waters' gesture to the audience, replaced by what seemed to be a reshoot of Lemper and Waters singing the song - complete with Roger hiding is mouth behind the microphone so as not to spoil the lip-synch.

I must say also, that The Band's contribution to 'Mother' was truly appalling. The singing was atrocious - really, really poor stuff. Again, the video release had been altered slightly and what was almost embarrassing to listen to suddenly sounded 'ok'.

Apart from that though, the concert was pretty incredible to witness in person. The stand-out moment was probably Joni Mitchell singing Goodbye Blue Sky. What you can't appreciate from the video or DVD is the sheer scale of that show. 250,000 people in that audience, a stage several hundred feet wide, enormous puppets appearing over the 'wall', a helicopter buzzing around at key moments - and then final, massive collapse of the bricks. Stunning stuff, it really was.
No longer here.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Christopher P

Christopher P

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 04:47 AM

Thanks Rob, I didn't know that..things looked to run smoothly on the tape, especially considering the massive scope of the show. Yes, the dichotomy of "Mother" Sinead's brilliantly haunting voice during the verses, then the horrid sounds of the Band during the chorus. I like how Waters looks like he goes over to them to help them out. And I've never been a Van Morrison fan, I don't know too many people who could ruin "Comfortably Numb" for me. Glad you could attend Rob. Definitely once in a lifetime.

Chris

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert_eb

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 07:23 AM

I've been on the fence about picking up the laserdisc but now I'll definitely be picking up this dvd.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 09:51 AM

Quote:
I don't know too many people who could ruin "Comfortably Numb" for me

Yeah, and the fat slob even had to read the lines from a bit of paper.
No longer here.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted March 26 2003 - 11:02 AM

Overall a great disc (I still have the LD), but my personal disappointments include:

Cyndi Lauper hamming it up during ABITWptII
Snowy White bastardizing David Gilmour's Comfortably Numb solo
Jerry Hall as the groupie(ugh!!) - way-y-y-y overacted...could have used somebody younger and cuter, like Samantha Fox :b
I don't like SPAM!

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 04:25 AM

is this "the Band" as in the Last Waltz?? are they really that bad here???

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Richard Fernandez

Richard Fernandez

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 04:46 AM

I think Eric Clapton and Robbie Robertson were supposed to be in the show. Bryan Adams did a good job on Young Lust.

Forum Nav Content I Follow