Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Silk Stockings - Spec & Extras ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Brendon

Brendon

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 06:56 AM

I have this and Broadway Melody of 1940 on order regardless. However I am unable to find anything related to aspect ratio (mainly for Silk Stockings), sound format or whether there are likely to be any extras.

BMo1940 I've never seen, and Silk Stockings will mean I can retire my LD (assuming that the sound is up to par).

Having just run though That's Entertainment I & II on VHS (never managed to get hold of the LD's), I'm anxious to know what the forthcoming DVDs will be like.

Anyone any the wiser ?

Brendon

#2 of 9 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,456 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted March 22 2003 - 07:04 AM

It has a making-of documentary, a new 5.1 remix, and the transfer is a new 2.35:1 (or is it 2.55:1?) transfer.

#3 of 9 Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 07:56 AM

This info on SILK STOCKINGS comes from Warner Bros.' recent press release:

SILK STOCKINGS (New release-Street date 4/22/2003)

NEW 16x9 Anamorphic transfer (2.35:1 aspect ratio)

New Dolby Digital 5.1 remix

EXTRAS:

All-new making-of documentary "Cole Porter in Hollywood: Satin and Silk" hosted by Cyd Charisse

Vintage MGM concert hall series short "The Poet and Peasant Overture" (LETTERBOX, Stereo)

Original SILK STOCKINGS Theatrical trailer

Vintage short "Paree, Paree" (1934) with Bob Hope
featuring Cole Porter score

Behind-the-scenes essay

SRP $19.98
(also available with BROADWAY MELODY OF 1940, HIGH SOCIETY,
KISS ME KATE, and LES GIRLS in a 'Cole Porter Giftset' for
an $89.92 SRP.)

#4 of 9 Brendon

Brendon

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 09:59 AM

Guys,

Thanks! It looks like a splendid job has been done on putting the Silk Stockings disc together. Just hoping that the 5.1 mix is respectful of the original (?) stereo mix.

(As various CD's of MGM musicals were issued last year with spruced up and newly discovered recordings, could these have been used to "enhance" the soundtracks ? I only bought the Easter Parade and Band Wagon discs.)

Now to get the other Astaire/Garland/Kelly MGM films out and even (not holding my breath) the RKO films. Top Hat: oh please!!!

Thanks again for the info guys, my day has just been made.

Brendon

#5 of 9 Paul Linfesty

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 05:50 PM

Wasn't SILK STOCKINGS a Perspecta mix? If so, I would hate to think of them using this for the basis of the 5.1 mix. Especially for a musical.

#6 of 9 Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 06:32 PM

SILK STOCKINGS was released with a 4-track mag stereo release prints. As with the previous videotape and laser releases, the new DVD will have its track derived from this original "stereo" source. (The old LD sounded terrific, so I can't wait for this new 5.1 DVD)

It was typical of that era for MGM to also make Perspecta prints available to theaters that did not have mag stereo
capabilities, hence the confusion of seeing the reference to
"Perspecta Sound" in the main credits of the movie. But as with most of MGM's bigger budget titles of the era, the film
did get a true mag stereo release, certainly in the larger metropolitan markets.

#7 of 9 SteveP

SteveP

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted March 22 2003 - 06:44 PM

This is the film wth an entire musical number dedicated to "Stereophonic Sound"

#8 of 9 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 03:18 AM

Several studios - mgm., Warnes and Columbia. - almost always put perspecta on their mag stereo prints in case the mag stereo system failed in the theater, the projectionist could switch to the perspecta backup.

#9 of 9 Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted March 23 2003 - 04:40 AM

Cool.
If i can judge by last years CD soundtrack release,
it should sound really great.

Nifty extras, too, sounds like...