What's new

Silk Stockings - Spec & Extras ? (1 Viewer)

Brendon

Second Unit
I have this and Broadway Melody of 1940 on order regardless. However I am unable to find anything related to aspect ratio (mainly for Silk Stockings), sound format or whether there are likely to be any extras.

BMo1940 I've never seen, and Silk Stockings will mean I can retire my LD (assuming that the sound is up to par).

Having just run though That's Entertainment I & II on VHS (never managed to get hold of the LD's), I'm anxious to know what the forthcoming DVDs will be like.

Anyone any the wiser ?

Brendon

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
This info on SILK STOCKINGS comes from Warner Bros.' recent press release:

SILK STOCKINGS (New release-Street date 4/22/2003)

NEW 16x9 Anamorphic transfer (2.35:1 aspect ratio)

New Dolby Digital 5.1 remix

EXTRAS:

All-new making-of documentary "Cole Porter in Hollywood: Satin and Silk" hosted by Cyd Charisse

Vintage MGM concert hall series short "The Poet and Peasant Overture" (LETTERBOX, Stereo)

Original SILK STOCKINGS Theatrical trailer

Vintage short "Paree, Paree" (1934) with Bob Hope
featuring Cole Porter score

Behind-the-scenes essay

SRP $19.98
(also available with BROADWAY MELODY OF 1940, HIGH SOCIETY,
KISS ME KATE, and LES GIRLS in a 'Cole Porter Giftset' for
an $89.92 SRP.)

Brendon

Second Unit
Guys,

Thanks! It looks like a splendid job has been done on putting the Silk Stockings disc together. Just hoping that the 5.1 mix is respectful of the original (?) stereo mix.

(As various CD's of MGM musicals were issued last year with spruced up and newly discovered recordings, could these have been used to "enhance" the soundtracks ? I only bought the Easter Parade and Band Wagon discs.)

Now to get the other Astaire/Garland/Kelly MGM films out and even (not holding my breath) the RKO films. Top Hat: oh please!!!

Thanks again for the info guys, my day has just been made.

Brendon

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't SILK STOCKINGS a Perspecta mix? If so, I would hate to think of them using this for the basis of the 5.1 mix. Especially for a musical.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
SILK STOCKINGS was released with a 4-track mag stereo release prints. As with the previous videotape and laser releases, the new DVD will have its track derived from this original "stereo" source. (The old LD sounded terrific, so I can't wait for this new 5.1 DVD)

It was typical of that era for MGM to also make Perspecta prints available to theaters that did not have mag stereo
capabilities, hence the confusion of seeing the reference to
"Perspecta Sound" in the main credits of the movie. But as with most of MGM's bigger budget titles of the era, the film
did get a true mag stereo release, certainly in the larger metropolitan markets.

SteveP

Second Unit
This is the film wth an entire musical number dedicated to "Stereophonic Sound"

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Several studios - mgm., Warnes and Columbia. - almost always put perspecta on their mag stereo prints in case the mag stereo system failed in the theater, the projectionist could switch to the perspecta backup.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Cool.
If i can judge by last years CD soundtrack release,
it should sound really great.

Nifty extras, too, sounds like...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks