What's new

JVC XVS-500 prog scan player. Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
(thread edited to reflect purchase of JVC unit. See my post below)

I just picked up this 5 disk DVD player for cdn$249. As I understand it, it has the Faroudja processing so PQ should at least be fairly good. I have a month to decide if I should keep it and bring it in for an exchange of another model. They do not have the Denon 1600, Panny RP82, CP72, RP91, or the RP56 but they do have the RP62. I currently have a Toshiba interlaced 3108 DVD player but my display (Sony 11HT) is "doubling" the picture currently.

What are your opinions of this CP67 and should I keep it? I don't want to spend much more than I did on this player because this is just a stop-gap measure until blue laser DVD comes along. Also, DVD-Audio is not a consideration for me.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am bringing the unit back to the store tomorrow after having tested it out tonight. The only real difference I saw beyween it and my old interlaced Toshiba 3108 was the lack of "shimmer" (due to the progressive I suppose) and in the subtitles. The overall ergonomics was not to my liking so I will try my hand on another player.

I may actually decide to live with my 3108 for now until hd-dvd and get an A/V rack instead. It all depends on how impressed I am when I demo some of the other players at the store.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Well I exchanged for a JVC XVS-500BK prog scan player. I have no idea whether or not this has the chroma bug but I was not able to see it using both the Toy Story 1 & 2 disks. I am pleased with its ability to scale properly, non 16x9 widescreen material to the proper aspect ratio and 4x3 stuff as well. Also friendly to use.

Any opinions or things I should know about?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Neil,

From what I understand, the scaling only works for properly flagged non-16x9 DVDs. I see that you have Titanic, so you can use that to verify this, IIRC.

Also, it sounds like older JVC's could do manual scaling, but the current line probably does not--at least that's what I'm hearing. Even if manual scaling works (via one of the zoom modes), you might need to move up to the 600 model for the zoom icon to disappear. Try it for yourself to see.

FWIW, I was considering the 600 myself, but was discouraged by the reports that it can't do manual scaling for all the improperly flagged non-16x9 DVDs. If the 500 can do it w/out the zoom icon problem, I'd probably get one myself and stop sitting on the fence about the Philips 963sa.

_Man_

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I went through my entire collection of non 16x9 DVD's, yes, it did have trouble with Titanic and 4 others (Deep Impact, Little Mermaid, James & Peach, Buzz Lightyeaar) out of about 20 that I have. Other than that it passed all the other tests that I threw its way so I will keep it. I could not recreate the chroma bug on it though. Other than zoom, what else can be done when the image is displayed in the centre of the screen with borders on all 4 sides?

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Also, hitting the angle button sometimes works or popping in a chapter like 79 or something nonexistant. Unfortunately, when you zoom the sides get snipped. I sometimes let my Mits zoom and sometimes do a screwy combination by letting my dvd player be set to Auto Normal and let the tv be set to enlarge this fills the screen w/o picture loss and works for 1:78 to 1:85 movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks