Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

VGA => RGBHV best way?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Scott Kilbourne

Scott Kilbourne

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted March 04 2003 - 12:59 AM

I'm hooking up an HTPC using a Radeon 7500 video card to an ECP 3500+.

The VGA signal is RGBHV which is what the projector wants, but I've gotten rumblings that a simple breakout cable from VGA 15 pin to 5 BNC's is less than desirable.

What's the best, inexpensive way to connect this?

-Scott

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Danny R

Danny R

Supporting Actor

• 875 posts

Posted March 04 2003 - 03:06 AM

The VGA signal is RGBHV which is what the projector wants, but I've gotten rumblings that a simple breakout cable from VGA 15 pin to 5 BNC's is less than desirable.

What sort of rumblings have you heard? I can't imagine what sort of connection would be better.
They found my psych results fit a certain profile. A certain "Moral flexibility" would be the best way to describe it....

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted March 04 2003 - 03:33 AM

Yeah, there shouldn't be any rumblings- the signal from VGA is RGBHV, so you don't need any signal conversion, just need to carry the signal on different connectors.

A VGA connector is: Red on pins 1/6, Green on pins 2/7, Blue on pins 3/8, Horizontal on pin 13, and Vert on pin 14. These are the exact signals you need for your RGBHV input on the projector- you just need to rout them to the proper connection types.

I would suggest not getting an "adapter" but rather a full length VGA > RGBHV cable. I had a 30 footer with VGA connect on one end, and 5 BNC on the other- worked wonderfully.

Vince
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Scott Kilbourne

Scott Kilbourne

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted March 04 2003 - 05:01 AM

I had heard that due to impedance issues that the DB15 on the VGA card should be bypassed and coax cable for each signal run from the card directly to the projector. It sounded a bit extreme, but...

-Scott