VGA => RGBHV best way?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Kilbourne, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Scott Kilbourne

I'm hooking up an HTPC using a Radeon 7500 video card to an ECP 3500+.

The VGA signal is RGBHV which is what the projector wants, but I've gotten rumblings that a simple breakout cable from VGA 15 pin to 5 BNC's is less than desirable.

What's the best, inexpensive way to connect this?

-Scott

2. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

The VGA signal is RGBHV which is what the projector wants, but I've gotten rumblings that a simple breakout cable from VGA 15 pin to 5 BNC's is less than desirable.

What sort of rumblings have you heard? I can't imagine what sort of connection would be better.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Lead Actor

Yeah, there shouldn't be any rumblings- the signal from VGA is RGBHV, so you don't need any signal conversion, just need to carry the signal on different connectors.

A VGA connector is: Red on pins 1/6, Green on pins 2/7, Blue on pins 3/8, Horizontal on pin 13, and Vert on pin 14. These are the exact signals you need for your RGBHV input on the projector- you just need to rout them to the proper connection types.

I would suggest not getting an "adapter" but rather a full length VGA > RGBHV cable. I had a 30 footer with VGA connect on one end, and 5 BNC on the other- worked wonderfully.

Vince

4. Scott Kilbourne

I had heard that due to impedance issues that the DB15 on the VGA card should be bypassed and coax cable for each signal run from the card directly to the projector. It sounded a bit extreme, but...

-Scott