Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"Road to Perditon" Reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
131 replies to this topic

#1 of 132 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 13 2003 - 03:56 PM

This was my favorite film of 2002, and I am anxiously awaiting word on A/V quality.

Any online reviews around?

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 132 OFFLINE   T r o y

T r o y

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted February 13 2003 - 11:32 PM

Brandon,

I too am anxiously awaiting early reviews of this film and I also think this was the best movie from last year.

I asked Ron Epstein how soon he thought he might have his review up on this one and he said Dreamworks usually don't send out screeners til last minute Posted Image

Later!

Outlaw 750 5 CH AMP
Yamaha DSP-A1
Sony BDP-S550
Monster Power
Mitsibishi HC-1500Klipsch KLF20Klipsch KLFC7Klipsch KSP-S6Velodyne F-1800XR

#3 of 132 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 02:13 AM

The latest issue of Widescreen Review, which arrived in my mailbox yesterday, had a review of it, but I have know idea if it's available on their website yet or not.

#4 of 132 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 03:19 AM

I got the DVD today. It’s the DTS version. So I get home and check the net and find out that a non-DTS version exists with more features! Yikes! The first time I make this mistake. I was so much paying attention not to get the full screen version that I forgot that the DTS version has less features. Now I have learned my lesson! My DVD doesn’t have the HBO documentary. But it has the

-Deleted Scenes
-Audio Commentary with Sam Mendes
-Production Notes
-Photo Gallery

#5 of 132 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 03:46 AM

Wait - the DTS version doesn't have the HBO doc? Both dvdempire.com and dvdplanet.com says it does! ARGH!

Oh well Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 132 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 04:23 AM

Quote:
Both dvdempire.com and dvdplanet.com says it does!
It’s a mistake. You know it’s virtually impossible to fit it all. Also it makes no sense to release 2 DVDs with the same features and one to have an extra thing. If they could fit it all, they would release just one version with DTS included.

#7 of 132 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 04:32 AM

Looks like I'll be switching to the DD version on my pre-order.

Thanks for the info. Posted Image

Now where are those reviews? Posted Image

#8 of 132 OFFLINE   T r o y

T r o y

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 11:58 AM

Here is Widescreen Review's email response back to me as to why they have not posted their review of "Road to Perdition" on their website yet:

[quote]>when will the review for 'road to perdition' be up on your website for non-subscribers to see ?

DreamWorks issued an embargo on Web reviews for this title until its
street date, February 25. Have you seen any reviews elsewhere?

BTW, the print issue the review appears in hit newsstands and
subscribers this week, so a review of ROAD TO PERDITION *is*
currently available....

--Michael Coate, Widescreen Review

Outlaw 750 5 CH AMP
Yamaha DSP-A1
Sony BDP-S550
Monster Power
Mitsibishi HC-1500Klipsch KLF20Klipsch KLFC7Klipsch KSP-S6Velodyne F-1800XR

#9 of 132 OFFLINE   Runar_R

Runar_R

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 12:33 PM

If you're interested, here's the review of the R4-version
"These are the moments I live for.
I put up with all the other crap just to get seconds like this.
The moments when you know the world is a better place than advertised."
-Planetary, Warren Ellis

#10 of 132 OFFLINE   Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 02:41 PM

i thought mendes hated deleted scenes? or was that just the horrible sounding ones from american beauty?

#11 of 132 OFFLINE   Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 02:52 PM

Damn. I was hoping to read some R! reviews before I picked it up. I might just hold off till I can read some reviews then.

#12 of 132 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 04:37 PM

Sucks that no reviews are allowed until release date, but I won't be waiting around for them before I go pick it up.

Just a week and a half away - can't wait!

#13 of 132 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,576 posts

Posted February 14 2003 - 08:27 PM

DreamWorks is getting real bad with sending
out early screener product.

The idea, after all, is allow reviewers time to
look over the material and post a review prior to
the release date.

If everyone else has the disc in their hands
the same day reviewers get their copy, then what
is the point of writing a review?

As of yesterday, I am still being informed that
DreamWorks doesn't have their copies in yet to
ship out to us.

Might have to skip this review altogether.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#14 of 132 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,046 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 14 2003 - 09:55 PM

What's sad is that I know of at least one retailer that has received some of their Road to Perdition dvds.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#15 of 132 OFFLINE   Bill J

Bill J

Producer

• 3,970 posts

Posted February 15 2003 - 07:25 AM

Quote:
So I get home and check the net and find out that a non-DTS version exists with more features!
Wow. When did this happen? I thought the two discs were supposed to be exactly the same (except for soundtracks).

#16 of 132 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted February 15 2003 - 07:49 AM

^ That's what I thought, but apperently that was bad info. It looks as though the HBO doc is NOT on the DTS disc.

#17 of 132 OFFLINE   Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted February 15 2003 - 10:58 AM

Sam, was your DVD a R1 DVD?

#18 of 132 OFFLINE   Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted February 15 2003 - 11:50 AM

Anybody else think Dreamwork screwed the pooch on this release by not making it two discs? With a two disc set they could've included both DD and DTS tracks on the same disc, as well as a whole disc of extra features. This WAS a $100+ million grossing film, and I think a 2-disc release would've sold just as well if not better than all these 1-disc versions.

#19 of 132 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted February 15 2003 - 11:58 AM

I'll check mine on Tuesday (both versions).

#20 of 132 OFFLINE   Lacanfora

Lacanfora

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted February 15 2003 - 06:49 PM

The DTS version does have the Dolby Digital soundtrack, but as stated earlier does not have the HBO making of.

Forum Nav Content I Follow