What's new

"Road to Perditon" Reviews (2 Viewers)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
More information:
My DVD has the UPC 78149-03642

I calculated also the video track. It’s 4456 MB in size and for a running time of 1:56:54 it gives an average bitrate of 5329 kbps (for video only).

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Thanks Sam, when I first posted my message I was just going on the specs people had been throwing around for the disc - didn't stop to do the quick calculation.

So have you been through the film, and if so any comments about the quality of the video? any signs of over compression?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
So have you been through the film, and if so any comments about the quality of the video? any signs of over compression?
I have a large widescreen TV. The largest a TV tube can get. It’s around 33”. I have not seen a bigger tube here. Honestly maybe there were artifacts, maybe there weren’t, I have no idea! At least I didn’t notice anything. But of course I was watching the movie not the pixels! :D

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Here are also 2 screen grabs to show the quality of the video. I have grabbed 1:1. It’s exactly the 720 x 480 image that is encoded on the DVD. No resizing. I have brightened the images so any slight artifact should show itself. I have also tried to choose 2 difficult scenes. One dark and with lots of details. The other in dark and rain.

http://perso.club-internet.fr/willow/temp_per_001.jpg

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
hi,

I ran both.

HBO Doc is 26 minutes long.

DTS is slightly louder. Sounds good.

Overall the picture is soft, edge enhancement is quite visible, and compression around titles was distracting.

The DTS picture looked slightly worse with titles, but on the whole nothing to toss up about.

haven't listened at length to Dolby disc (whether it is the 'same' track on DTS disc).

haven't watched doc yet.

take your pic.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else think it's awesome that they're including a "Descriptions for the Visually Impaired" feature?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
John, a few studios have flirted with that, but it's a bandwidth eater, so most haven't done much. Moulin Rouge is the only other DVD I know of that has this feature.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
Anyone else think it's awesome that they're including a "Descriptions for the Visually Impaired" feature?
judging by what some are saying about the transfer, everyone will need to use this feature :D

thanks dreamworks! don't know why, but i thought warner was behind this film. pity, might have turned out better in the video department.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's funny how some are rushing to a negative judgement on this dvd without seeing it on their setup with their own eyes yet.:frowning:

Crawdaddy

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'm not rushing to judment - hell, my setup is so lame that I doubt I'll notice anything bad. It's just disappointing to hear negative reports about the picture quality, is all.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
It's funny how some are rushing to a negative judgement on this dvd without seeing it on their setup with their own eyes yet.
experience has taught me 2 things.

1. if someone comes up with a statement describing a transfer as soft,ee,compression around titles etc. then it's usually true (since they sound like they know what they're talking about).

2. dreamworks aren't very consistent in their presentations. sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

it's all irrelevant though, because i'll be picking this puppy up even if it doesn't look so great. still wish warner/wamo were doing the DVD.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
The Grinch! visual commentary - funny one too.

um, my review was based on a 50" plasma. so the average viewer may not notice what I saw.

however, anything I view on my 36" direct view (16x9) looks WORSE! grin, plasmaitis I would say.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Why not leave the DD off of the DTS release and then release a full bitrate DTS Track ? Makes nada sense to me.

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, every DVD must have a DD (or PCM or MPEG) audio track. However, why is 5.1 DD necessary on the DTS release?

I hope that the reported problems with the picture quality are not too noticeable.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
TyC: my question exactly.

Thanks for the feedback to those who posted, I'll still get this movie (it's too much of a favorite to let go) but the concerns with the picture are predictable given what they crammed on there (and downright silly adding both 5.1 tracks to the DTS version).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I just got through watching this DVD which was the DTS version and the dvd presentation is a very good representation of the film that I've seen twice during it's theatrical run. In my opinion, the magnificent cinematography of the late, great Conrad Hall was truly captured on this dvd. Again, for those that haven't seen the dvd at this time, do so and judge the quality of the dvd for yourself. Tomorrow, I'm going to watch the dvd again with the Mendes commentary, but based on my viewing today, I'm very happy with the dvd presentation.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks