Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

lawn mowers

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#21 of 147 MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted February 09 2003 - 02:10 PM

Yeah I'm sure my neighbors would just love it if I just killed all my grass instead of taking care of it.

Posted Image

Afterall if I let the grass grow long it'll be harder to see the empty beer bottles on the lawn after parties.
Michael Alletto

#22 of 147 Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter

• 1,835 posts

Posted February 09 2003 - 02:20 PM

Yeah - I know...I was just kiddin' around...

Seriously, I need a lawn-mower myself now that I am a new homeowner. I just fertilized my lawn a couple weeks back and the grass is really growing like mad now!

I'm seriously considering one of the electric models - but have yet to do any research on them.

#23 of 147 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted February 10 2003 - 12:45 AM

If your lawn is small, consider a reel push mower from American Lawnmower or others. But be careful, as always you get what you pay for, and the really cheap reel mowers suck. I have a large end unit townhouse, and I've been extremely happy with my Deluxe Light. I laugh at my neighbors with gas powered mowers. Why bother with the extra maintenance of a gas engine? I just push 'n' go, sometimes I even rake. They're environmentally friendly and quiet. The scissors cut is also better for the grass than the ripping motion of a conventional mower.

Also, seriously consider an electric mower, they are quiet, energy smart, and convenient. Personally I'll avoid a gas powered mower as long as I can. They're loud and smelly and require a lot of storage space (compared to the tiny reel push mower's footprint). I have enough oil changes, spark plugs, and such with two cars and a motorcycle. Sharpening the blades once every year or so is not too much to worry about.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#24 of 147 Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted February 10 2003 - 01:58 AM

I'm seriously considering a cordless model next time around. I don't particularly care to stand in the exhaust stream of the one I have now.
Depending on the type of grass you have, a reel may not work at all. I couldn't even get the thing rolling in my thick St. Augustine. It would work great with Bermuda grass, though.

I wanted to buy a cordless mower when I was getting mine, but $398 Cordless vs. $149 mulching Murray was too hard to swallow for a broke new homeowner (i.e. me in '94).Posted Image Now, I'm not replacing it until it breaks.
I love to singa, about the moon-a, and the june-a, and the springa...
-Owl Jolson

#25 of 147 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted February 10 2003 - 02:20 AM

FWIW

Murray
6 HP Briggs & Stratton
bag * side discharge * mulch
Purchased @ Home Depot for under $200
About 5 yrs. old now, starts on first pull
No problems as of yet

#26 of 147 MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted February 10 2003 - 04:38 AM

Quote:
thick St. Augustine

I don't like this thick St. Augustine grass here in texas. I don't know what we had when I lived in chicago, but it was much nicer than this thick stuff.
Michael Alletto

#27 of 147 John Giddens

John Giddens

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted February 10 2003 - 07:05 AM

I had a real positive experience with a Black & Decker CMM1000 19" Cordless Mulching/Rear Bag Lawn Mower.
As long as your yard isn't too big it should work. I used it for a couple of years before I gave up on killing myself, in the Houston heat and humidity, and hired a lawn maintenance company. I gave it to my dad and he's still using it. Battery seems to hold up well too, it's gone four years now on it's original battery.

#28 of 147 MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted February 10 2003 - 07:21 AM

How much usually does it cost to just hire someone to take care of the lawn? Obviously it varies depending upon size, but whats a guess?
Michael Alletto

#29 of 147 KyleS

KyleS

Screenwriter

• 1,232 posts

Posted February 10 2003 - 07:39 AM

My next mower will almost certainly be another Electric. As long as you don't have a large area to cover. I have had my current model for over 6 years and the only thing I have done is sharpening the blade once per year. No Gas, No Oil, No spark plugs, etc.

Other then that I have quite a few friends that own Honda's and I have not heard a single complaint except for the obvious price you pay. Posted Image

KyleS

#30 of 147 Jin E

Jin E

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted February 10 2003 - 08:07 AM

I have a Craftsman I bought used for $75 and I like it. My friend's Honda is about 1/2 as loud though. I have never heard of anyone with a Honda mower who did not absolutly love it. of course... when you pay that much for a mower you have a tendency to take better care of it.
-Jin
My Theater

#31 of 147 Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 05:00 PM

i'm also moving into a house in a few weeks and will need a mower.

my gfriend wants me to get an electric, but i really think a gas-powered may "work" better. but i admit that i don't know a thing about electric ones. can anyone recommend specific electric models for me to look at? i'm open to the option if i think it's a good move.

also, what is the purpose of a mulching mower? something about not needing a bag? someone mentioned to make sure the grass can handle it?

#32 of 147 Dalila

Dalila

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 06:43 PM

Michael ... Since you live in Austin... (where about?) Go to Lowes and pick up one of the 6.5HP Bolens Mowers. We love ours, and the 6 and 1.5 horse helps to get through the thick grass, esp when it gets long. They are 220.00 I believe.
Posted Image

#33 of 147 Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,916 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 07:03 PM

I had a bad experience with Craftsman. The brand was my first choice because they weren't too expensive and my parents had one that ran great when I was growing up. The first time I was cutting the grass I hit a stump left over from some shrubs and it bent the blade. In all the grass I've cut I've hit all kinds of stuff and the worst thing I had to do was restart the mower. I took it back and the salesman traded it in no questions asked saying that the mower came out of a defective batch. A few weeks later I had the exact same problem with mower #2. The store manager had the nerve to blame me for not pre checking my yard for obstacles. Needless to say I was a dissatisfied customer so I ended up getting a full refund. A few days later I found one of those old school manual push mowers for $15 at Goodwill and I've been happy with it ever since.

#34 of 147 MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 02:33 AM

I picked up a craftsman mower, but it has a briggs and stratton engine. Its a 6.5 horsepower push mulching mower. It was only about $180 and it serves its purpose Posted Image

Dalila I'm in north austin, north of 620, almost in round rock but its still an austin address.
Michael Alletto

#35 of 147 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 02:35 AM

Quote:
I picked up a craftsman mower, but it has a briggs and stratton engine. Its a 6.5 horsepower push mulching mower. It was only about $180 and it serves its purpose

That sounds almost identical to the mower I bought from Sears at the weekend. The joys of owning a house!

I chose Craftsman on my father-in-law's instructions - he knows way more about these things than I'll ever know, and I know to trust his judgement on these things.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#36 of 147 Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Posted April 10 2003 - 03:08 AM

I have all 3 types of mowers for my tiny lawn, I started with a push reel mower was frustrated by the inability to get closer than about 3 inches to any object with it (wheels outside the blades after all), went and bought a Cordless eletric black and decker, works OK but the designer must have only been 5 foot tall, handle is too low and unadjustable, push one around before you buy it, If you were closer, I would sell you mine cheap. A couple of months after I got the electric mower, I friend gave me an almost new cheap craftsman mulching mower, been using it ever since because I could turn the top part of the handle over and make it about 5 inches higher and easier to push
Most of the electric lawnmowers I have seen these days are not exactly quiet because they use brushed universal motors and gear drives for the blades instead of induction motors, universal motors are cheaper to make and smaller for the same power output, the drawback is much higher RPM for the same power output and higher noise levels because of the cheap gear reduction systems used, and I also think they are designed to be noisy so people thing they are more powerful

My old nieghbor had an old electric corded mower that made no noise at all, it was literaly a 1 hp induction motor standing on end on a pressed metal mower deck with a blade on it, the only thing you could hear when he used it was the sound of the blade cutting the grass, but it weighed about 50 pounds because induction motors are quite heavy compared to universal motors

#37 of 147 MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 03:14 AM

I was just looking at my front lawn on the way out this morning...gotta mow again this weekend. They seeded the front with rye overtop of the st augustine so it would be green when I moved in, well the thing is growing like crazy. I'm debating whether to edge or not this weekend. I need to kill some weeds in the backyard but thats about it except watering it.
Michael Alletto

#38 of 147 Dalila

Dalila

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 01:53 PM

Kewl Mike... The Bolans also is a Briggs & Stratton engine... Gotta make sure the engine is a good one, is always paramount.

Posted Image

#39 of 147 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 02:36 PM

Well, used my mower for the first time tonight... Went smoothly enough. Hardest part was adjusting the handle to the right height for my wife & myself to use - she's short, I'm tall.

Next on the list is a "weedwhacker"...
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#40 of 147 Jon_Are

Jon_Are

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted April 10 2003 - 02:40 PM

My first Craftsman mower lasted 17 years and still started first pull, every time. The deck was rusting a bit, and the wheels were on the verge of falling apart, but it was a great mower. I sold it for $25.

I picked up another Craftsman - self-propelled - and love it. I doubt I'll ever buy a non-Craftsman mower.

Jon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow