-

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Alternate Cover Art

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
289 replies to this topic

#1 of 290 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 08:35 AM

I have done a few tweaks on the spine design that I had previewed earlier. Hopefully now it looks a little less like a cut and paste job.

Posted Image
Click here for larger image

I had to rebuild part of the back of the ring, hopefully it isn't too shabby. I really couldn't move the Defiant over any more to the left because it covers up where a runabout appeared in the original shot. (Some of you might have preferred that it start on the season 3 spine)

Now for the hardest decision... What to do about the combadges?! DS9 didn't use the "modern badge" until season 3, but I wanted it to be uniform all the way across. When and if I do Voyager they would most likely have the same combadge. I know some of you probably want something unique for each set. So I dabbled with a few different designs. I already asked a a couple of you via email which you liked better, but there was no clear winner.

So I'm opening it up to the rest of you...
Here are the choices...

I'm not really happy with the Bajoran badges. At first I liked the red triangle (choice 2) but I printed them up and I think they are a little distracting. My preference would either be the first or seventh choice. I don't see any need for color coding like on the TNG set because the actual DVDs don't look like they hold to any particular color scheme. I also don't wish to do multiple versions of each! Personally, I like the regular DS9 combadges used in the picture above. That Delta symbol is really the only thing that says Trek to me. It doesn't really bother me that DS9 and Voyager would end up with the same combadge symbol.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think and I will (most likely) go with the version with the most votes.

I'll post a few of the actual cover designs soon...
That's a whole 'nother story!

Ric

#2 of 290 OFFLINE   MikeDeVincenzo

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 08:41 AM

Lovin' that wormhole action! Posted Image

#3 of 290 OFFLINE   Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 08:44 AM

I kinda like the wormhole badges.

Choice #1 reminds me too much of Voyager and we sure don't need that
#2 doesn't remind me much of anything, except maybe Starfleet Command minus the San Francisco Bridge symbology
#3 looks cool, but you can't make out the numbers
#4 same problem as #3, only a little worse
#5 Posted Image very nice; readable, distinctive, and evocative of DS9
#6 cold, sterile but a nice second choice
#7 hard to read the numbers again

Are there any Cardassian or Bajoran panel graphics that look useful? Like, perhaps, the Cardassian "shatter-frame" displays on the consoles?
My DVDs

#4 of 290 OFFLINE   Nathan*W

Nathan*W

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 10:59 AM

Ric,

LOVE the overall design. If you'd like some suggestions:
Quote:
I really couldn't move the Defiant over any more to the left because it covers up where a runabout appeared in the original shot. (Some of you might have preferred that it start on the season 3 spine)
Personally, I think the Defiant/Station pic could be moved left a little bit more so it DOES start on Season 3. Right now it looks like it's crowding right. Only slightly left, though.
Quote:
My preference would either be the first or seventh choice.
I also like #7 for season indicators, but include some color to the numbers to add some contrast between them and the station ring.

#5 of 290 OFFLINE   Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 12:35 PM

Quote:
My preference would either be the first or seventh choice.
First
Quote:
I don't see any need for color coding like on the TNG set because the actual DVDs don't look like they hold to any particular color scheme. I also don't wish to do multiple versions of each!
No need to start extra work.
Quote:
Personally, I like the regular DS9 combadges used in the picture above. That Delta symbol is really the only thing that says Trek to me. It doesn't really bother me that DS9 and Voyager would end up with the same combadge symbol.
Excellent points. Ya gotta have the Trek symbol. There is no reason DS9 and Voyager can't have the same since they both used them. Please don't consider the Bajor ones and the one that looks like Starfleet Command.

Posted Image

#6 of 290 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 02:31 PM

Stick with number one Ric! And please do the covers for Voyager, if only for those of us in the minority who really do like Voyager. I know how much work is involved here, I for one really appreciate your continued efforts on these covers.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#7 of 290 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 03:17 PM

Great Work Ric I can't wait to see what you'll come up with. As for Voyager I'll Probably pick up the 1st Year because "Caretaker" the first show was really pretty Decent. Unfortunately the show never lived up to it's Pilot and the it went Downhill as the years wore on. Plus if I see Janeway's Mug on my Shelf I might actually have to shoot myself.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#8 of 290 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 04:47 PM

OK, Ive got it down to 3. I added one that looks like a Cardasian Shatter frame (#2) and I made the number a gold color on the station symbol (now appearing as choice 3!) Even though the wormhole one got a vote... it's outta here! It was just looking too busy for me.

Posted Image

I think I can live with either one of these, so let me know what you think. My first inclination is to still go with number one though.

As for moving the station and Defiant over (on the spines)a little bit, I kind of like them where they are. Besides, now the Defiant only cuts across 2 spines instead of 3. I think it will line up better.

Here's what I have for the first cover...
Posted Image
Clich here for larger version

The rest of the seasons will be groupings. I had originally done a pairing for the first one, Kira and Sisko, then I realized that Kira had the wrong hairdo!
Posted Image

That one will probably be season 2.

Besides, I have grown to like Sisko alone on the front with the wormhole. It kind of foreshadows his destiny.

The back covers might all be season cast shots if I can find one for every season. I do not think I am going to list all of the extras on the back as I have done in the past. They will be listed on an insert.

That's it for now...

Ric

#9 of 290 OFFLINE   Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 09:21 PM

Although I kind of like 2 and 3, number one is still my favorite. Please go with the com-badge. Covers look fine to me. When ever you get the final version on the spines please don't forget to include the back of season one and at least a mock up of season sevens front.

Posted Image

#10 of 290 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted January 20 2003 - 10:33 PM

I think I will go ahead and bow out of this discussion.

I've looked at my newest credit card statements, and realized that I can NOT afford to spend $700-ish this year on DS9 sets, a show I only marginally liked.

I'll have to be thrilled with complete TOS and TNG sets. Good luck with those covers, Ric.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#11 of 290 OFFLINE   Greg S

Greg S

Supporting Actor

• 991 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 01:35 AM

While it appears that I am in the minority in liking the Bajoran badges, I will vote for choice #1 as it will give a nice CONTINUITY to the set(s) which I think will be quite nice.

Again thanks for all the HARD WORK!!!!

Greg

BTW I do have one question for you.... Will you also be doing the SUPPLEMENTAL Case as well?? I did not see it pictured in the "main" layout but wanted to see if you were doing it.

#12 of 290 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 01:52 AM

I'll try to find the best prices I can on DS9 if it means no extras disk so be it. I found $72.99 on the first set. David I think DS9 was the best Trek series did you see the entire run or did you quit on it sometime during it's run? DS9 from really Season 2 on in was excellent.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#13 of 290 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 02:40 AM

I imagine that I will be doing an extra supplemental disc for this as well. It will just be a continuation of the starfield on the spine. I obviously don't know yet what the front and back covers will look like.

DL... bowing out?!? How dare you! Your insight is always appreciated, even if you can't shell out the dough for the best Trek series ever! Jean-Luc is still the best Captain though!

Frank, I did not include the front and rear shots for the spine shot that is up on the covers page for TNG and had not planned it for this one either. Maybe I can email you a version of it, if you need to display all the cases before they are finished.

Ric

#14 of 290 OFFLINE   Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 03:21 AM

Picking a knit:

Your box cover for the second season features Deep Space Nine orbiting Bajor, a situation that only occurred during the pilot episode of the series (and during flashback episodes). Remember, they moved the space station at great risk to situate it next to the wormhole and never brought it back.

I am also partial to having boxes that do not feature large character portraits on them, like the TNG sets. Perhaps each season could be represented by such things as:

#1 DS9 orbiting Bajor
#2 The Wormhole behind the station
#3 The Defiant leaving the station
#4 Klingon ships surrounding the station
#5 Cardassian and Jem'Hadar ships threatening the station
#6 A fleet of Federation starships squaring off against fleets of Cardassian and Jem'Hadar ships (no DS9)
#7 Er... um... can't think of one suitable
My DVDs

#15 of 290 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 04:10 AM

I also like the Bajoran badges.
My Collection

#16 of 290 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 05:45 AM

Stick with number one, Ric!! Posted Image The newer comm badges look great! Posted Image

I like the previews of the first two seasons.. but I agree that the station was only seen in orbit in the pilot. (Also seen this way in the Mirror-universe episodes, I think.)

I like the idea of doing groupings on the covers. Although Sisko should most certainly get Season One to himself. Even if he doesn't have the goatee yet. Posted Image

#17 of 290 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 05:52 AM

Jonathan, I was originally thinking along those same lines. Take a look at the shot on the cover at the end of the spines on this version. That probably would have been the first shot for season one. It sure would have been alot simpler. although i don't know if I would have been able to find every scenario you described, I was sure that I could have comeup with sebven beauty type shots.

I know the camp is divided with scenic vs. noggins. Ultimately, I have tried to incorporate both, but I may have failed. I was even thinking of doing an all villains issue for season 6, ie: Dukat, Weyoon and maybe that female shapeshifter.

Once I start on the general theme of the sets... I want to stick with it though. As far as Bajor being in the shot for season 2... hmmm... How far away did they move from Bajor anyway? Now I see why Paramount came up with the simple design!

Ric

#18 of 290 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 06:20 AM

In the later seasons the emphesis definately changes from Bajoran Political Intrigue to the dominion war, so the covers can definately reflect that. It would be nice perhaps in season 2 to get a picture of one of the Orb's of the prophets on there somewhere, senes the orbs play a big part in the beginning.

For what it's worth I'm in the noggin' camp
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#19 of 290 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 07:03 AM

Quote:
I'll try to find the best prices I can on DS9 if it means no extras disk so be it. I found $72.99 on the first set. David I think DS9 was the best Trek series did you see the entire run or did you quit on it sometime during it's run? DS9 from really Season 2 on in was excellent.

I don't have the money to spend even at $50 each ($350 overall). More to the point, I might have the money to spend months and months from now, but if TOS and TNG are any indication, the best prices will be week-of-release, and then they will creep up from there. Maybe if I win a lottery later on, and Best Buy still has copies with the bonus discs. We'll see, but it's unlikely.

Right now the best thing for my budget is to believe that I will never own these DVDs, and many others as well (I had to force myself to pass on The Shield, for instance).

As for when I lost interest...um, it was when the emphasis shifted toward war and away from Bajoran political intrigue (which I thought was VERY well done, mixing the Democratic ideas of the Federation with the Theocratic ways of Bajor, up against the Totalitarianistic (is that a word?) forces of the Cardassian Empire). I appreciated the Louise Fletcher episodes more than any of the others, in fact. Posted Image

Ric, the reason I decided to bow out is this: my ideas seem to run counter to the popular majority here. If I have no intention of using the covers, it is very unfair of me to skew the vote away from the wishes of those who WILL be using them. So, I abstain. Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#20 of 290 OFFLINE   Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted January 21 2003 - 07:48 AM

Ric, your spine design is nothing short of spectacular. Maybe the Defiant should be shifted left a little, so that it (a) begins in season three and (b) appears as an independent spacecraft, and not a bauble that seems to be hanging off the space station. Apart from that, the spine is awesome.

Also, while looking at your art I spotted something that's always driven me nuts and made me adjust my TV set numerous times: the color of the science uniforms for the black jumpsuits. They aren't really deep blue, are they? They actually have a greenish tint to them. Did you color-adjust that group photo? You might want to check out the TNG episode "Birthright" when Dr. Bashir is seen standing next to Dr. Crusher to see the color difference.
My DVDs

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow