What's new

Lexicons MC-8 is announced! What is bass management like? (1 Viewer)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I have been to Lexicons web site and looked at the spec sheet but it said nothing about the BM. Is it the same as in the MC-12? Has anyone heard a price?
Just when I was satisfied with the MC-1 they break loose with the MC-8. The 12 was a little out of my budget, I hope the pricing is reasonable. Just when I was getting the CC's paid down. Damn!

Thanks,
Steve

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

"I have been to Lexicons web site and looked at the spec sheet but it said nothing about the BM. Is it the same as in the MC-12?"

Don't know about the BM but since it will share software it should be very similiar to a MC-12 set for a single sub out. The MC-8 only has one sub out.

Unsure of what it will do on the 5.1 inputs though.

Pricing is $5995 for a MC-8, $6995 for an MC-8B.

The **unofficial subject to change** info from Lexicon is that qualifying MC-1s will be worth 3k toward the MC-8. They said DC-2 and DC-1s will have trade in program too but there is no info as to what that is.

Shawn

Ted_b

Auditioning
The Lexicon MC-8 will NOT process the dual 5.1 inputs. It has analog-bypass for both sets but will not digitize them like the MC-12 does (to its single 5.1 input). This negates any bass management or time-alignment capabilities. I'm diappointed, since I'm a life-long Lexicon upgrade customer. I need a pre/pro with dual 5.1 inputs that digitizes them if neede be. I currently have an MC-1 and use a system that utilizes the Sony TAP-9000ES analog preamp for the dvd-a and sacd stuff. Klugey, but effective.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Ted_b

I really don't think you'd want to digitize your analog inputs since that adds another conversion to muck up the sound quality. Also, you absolutely DO NOT want to go from DSD to analog to PCM to analog. Why even have an SACD player, then?

Dan

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>Also, you absolutely DO NOT want to go from DSD to analog to PCM to analog. Why even have an SACD player, then?<

Dan,

a number of Lexicon MC-12 owners DO digitize SACD input for bass management and Logic 7. Check out the threads on the SMR board. They say that, with the MC-12, loss to conversion is minimal, and the advantages gained are well worth it.

Please note that these are experienced, articulate high-end users who know what they like. Even though your religion forbids you from digitally reprocessing DSD-stored data, other people go to different churches, temples, mosques and synagogues.

Marty

gregD

Second Unit

Amen... I'm sure the same can be said for any number of mid-to high-end processors (eg, the Anthem is said to be particularly good in this regard)... audible difference? - yes... major audible difference? - arguable.

I'm all for pursuing accurate - as well as pleasing - sound... but for most users there's a limit to the expense, tweaks and workarounds that can be thrown at perfection.

Like computers, audio advances are tumbling into the marketplace underdeveloped and overmarketed, and multichannel hi-res formats are among the worst offenders... when they get to digital interfaces, where bass management can be done in the stage where it belongs (pre-pro), then these threads will thankfully vanish, and our sound goals can be reasonably met.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks