Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Know If a New "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" Movie Is in the Works?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#1 of 95 OFFLINE   Mike-M

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted January 02 2003 - 07:10 PM

I grew up with these characters and really liked, and still like, the first movie.

I know that John Woo was thinking of doing a CGI Turtles movie but I believe that's currently shelved. But with a new Turtles show debuting on Fox on Febuary, the old movies hitting dvd, and even new figures and toys hitting stores now, I'm wondering if the Turtles craze is being ressurected and that they may revisit the silver screen again. Anyone know if there are any rumors to make a fourth movie (or brand new one, whether it's CGI or live action)?

#2 of 95 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted January 03 2003 - 08:29 AM

i hope not Posted Image
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#3 of 95 OFFLINE   Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit

• 332 posts

Posted January 03 2003 - 03:30 PM

Maybe not a movie, but there is a new video game planned.

TURTLE POWER!

Dean
"Earnest Hemingway once wrote 'The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.' I agree with the 2nd part." - Morgan Freeman, Se7en

My DVD Collection

#4 of 95 OFFLINE   Matt Wooten

Matt Wooten

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted January 06 2003 - 04:52 PM

i'm totally down for it. i would guess that there will be one if the turtles can catch on again. i'd really love to hear something definite about the john woo thing. i really only read it once a few months ago.

#5 of 95 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted March 29 2005 - 12:25 PM

from http://news.toonzone...cle.php?ID=2542

Kevin Munroe has been signed to write and direct a new CGI-animated feature-length Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film. Currently in pre-production, the film is scheduled for U.S. release in spring 2007.

#6 of 95 OFFLINE   Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 06:45 AM

I loved the first one sooo much and the 2nd was a good, but a bit too goofy followup. The 3rd one was like a live action episode taken from the cartoon. Ugh.

I miss Jim Henson.
HD DVD? Check! Blu Ray? Check! High Definition Satelite? Check! HD Gaming systems? Check! 100% High Definition across the board!
http://mrbiggles.blogspot.com

#7 of 95 OFFLINE   Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 12:41 PM

Why do they keep trying to bring back the turtles? I like the original cartoon series and have it on DVD, but everything afterwards (besides the first movie and couple of the video games) stunk in my personal opinion. I don't think this new CGI movie is going to be good at all.

#8 of 95 OFFLINE   Mike-M

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 12:52 PM

^^You just rattled off a ton of TMNT success though...that's why they are trying to bring it back. If it's successful on TV, film and video games, it's a huge money maker.

I agree I'd rather see a live action film like the original, though.

#9 of 95 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 01:10 PM

Here's some more info that I got from an e-mail from flash@awn.com

13. KEVIN MUNROE TO WRITE/DIRECT CG NINJA TURTLES FILM.
Imagi Services president/ceo Tom Gray announced the signing of Kevin Munroe
to write and direct a new CGI-animated feature-length TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA
TURTLES film. Now in pre-production, the film is targeted for U.S. release
in spring 2007.

The new TMNT film will be produced by Tom Gray (who guided the first
TURTLES trilogy through production) and Galen Walker of Imagi. Exec
producers are Francis Kao, Gary Richardson, Frederick Fierst and Peter
Laird, who co-created the film with Kevin Eastman. The picture deal was
conducted by Gray and Walker of Imagi, Grodin of Weissmann, Wolff, et al.,
Richardson of Mirage Licensing, and Fierst of Fierst, Pucci & Kinder.

Munroe has done extensive animation work during the last decade including
videogames, television series and original comicbooks. He has worked in
developing both the writing and design of animated projects for companies
such as Disney, Warner Bros., Cartoon Network, WWE, Fox Kids, The Henson
Co., Kids! WB!, Dark Horse Ent., IDW Publishing and Nickelodeon. Besides
working in all aspects of production design and storyboarding on shows such
as Nickelodeon’s HEY ARNOLD!, Munroe also created, wrote, produced,
designed and directed the CGI Christmas special, DONNER, for ABC. His
projects have been optioned by Walt Disney Feature Animation, Stan Winston
Studios and Brett Ratner’s Rat Ent. in addition to co-writing another Imagi
feature, CAT TALE.

#10 of 95 OFFLINE   Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 02:56 PM

The new TMNT movie should be live-action, like the first one. It would probably be less-expensive than an all CGI movie. A live-action movie would make people think "Hey, I remember the live action movies, I liked them!" and they would go see it. An all CGI movie seems gimmicky, and I don't think it would be a very big success.

Also Vanilla Ice should make a cameo appearence in the new movie and sing a reprise of the Ninja Rap!

#11 of 95 OFFLINE   Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

• 1,385 posts

Posted March 30 2005 - 03:40 PM

I agree, another live-action film would be better (though I'd hope they'd go back to the turtle designs from the first film, as I thought they looked better and less fruity than the suits in the later films).

Better yet, a live-action film in the vein of "Batman Begins" or "Sin City" that has the flavor of the original comic.

#12 of 95 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 08:44 AM

Oh, they want do do the film ALL CGI? Posted Image Posted Image

I thought they would just make the Turtles, Splinter, and any other necessary creatures CGI, but be an otherwise live-action film.

I thought that would be the way to go. No actors struggling to perform in clumsy, bulky suits, really free up the movements of the turtles. It could easily be done with on-set actors and stunt-people and then redner the CGI over them a la Jar Jar and Golem.

I don't think I'd be all that interested in an CGI animated feature. Would be kind of creepy. But, photo-realistic CGI ninja-turtles in a live action movie would be cool.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#13 of 95 OFFLINE   Mike-M

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 12:08 PM

^^I don't know...I'd rather just see a CGI movie then a combo between CGI and live action. I suppose it could be great like Roger Rabbitt, but I believe it'd come out like crap (like the recent Looney Tunes movie).

I don't think an all CGI would be bad--quite a few CGI movies have come that have been great--I would just prefer live action. But, if you are basing it off the new ninja turtles, CGI might be better. The new turtles don't even have pupils in their eyes.

#14 of 95 OFFLINE   Travis W.

Travis W.

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 12:21 PM

Quote:
The new turtles don't even have pupils in their eyes.

The new show sticks closely to the designs of the original comics, in which they did not have pupils. Of course they all had red bandanas and tails in the original comics as well.

The new animated series is one of the best ways to watch the TMNT as it is very close to the original comic. I can't imagine this film branching too far from the source material. Besides, it's good to see the TMNT enter new arenas such as CGI film. I think the reason why the TMNT have been around for so long (I guess you could argue they hit a hiatus after the original toon ended) is because they've never stuck into one groove. There's edgy b&w comics, kids comics, kids cartoons, edgy cartoon, the list could go on and on. Sadly most people only remember the TMNT as the stars of a goofy show in the early 90s. Don't go flaming me yet I loved that show and still do today but the TMNT are capable of much more than just sitting around eating pizza, cracking jokes, and fighting robotic ninjas.

They could animate it with stick figures and I'd be there opening day Posted Image. Spring 2007 can't come soon enough.

#15 of 95 OFFLINE   Mike-M

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 12:33 PM

Travis...

So I guess you watch the new cartoon? How do you like it overall? I watched a good amount of episodes. I thought it was solid enough, but I wasn't blown away like I expected to be. I know it's a kid's cartoon, I just expected to like it more than I did.

What did you think about the original movie?

#16 of 95 OFFLINE   Travis W.

Travis W.

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 04:21 PM

I love both the original movie and new series. I feel the new series has the personalities of each turtle down to a T (no pun intended) and the action is top notch. Overall I think it's aimed at kids but definitely knows how to please the older bracket as well.

The original movie is easily in my top 10. The second film is definitely a product of the sequel generation (get em out quick and make a big profit)and not very good. while I feel the third film gets a little too much flack. I do wish the new TMNT film was using animatronics because they were so convincing in the original films. As long as this CGI flick doesn't try to copy realism like Final Fantasy: The Spririts Within (and to a lesser extent The Polar Express) I've got high hopes for it.

The only TMNT literation I downright despised was Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation (live-action series)...man it was bad. REAL bad.

#17 of 95 OFFLINE   Mike-M

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted March 31 2005 - 04:59 PM

^^Yeah I still love the original TMNT movie to this day.

And although the third movie was bad, when I rewatched it, I noticed the fight scenes are the best of all the movies oddly enough.

The second one was very toned down unfortunately.

#18 of 95 OFFLINE   Travis W.

Travis W.

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted April 01 2005 - 08:58 AM

Quote:
And although the third movie was bad, when I rewatched it, I noticed the fight scenes are the best of all the movies oddly enough.

I've noticed the same thing in recent years. The fight scenes in TMNT 2 are just laughable (love it when the Foot Soldiers ambush the TMNT at TGRI and there's a bunch on a wall just twirling their staffs as the others attack...). The first film is still the best and has aged considerably well. For years the second film came above the third for me but there's more flaws in their second outing than any of the others.

#19 of 95 OFFLINE   CaseyL

CaseyL

Supporting Actor

• 803 posts

Posted April 01 2005 - 09:18 AM

Quote:
The new turtles don't even have pupils in their eyes

Correct me if I'm wrong, originally (as in the comics) they didn't have pupils, either.

Has potential. As a person who really doesn't like John Woo all that much, I am personally very glad that he is no longer with the project (but I fear for Metroid). I believe the inclusion of Laird is a good thing, too.

#20 of 95 OFFLINE   Travis W.

Travis W.

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted April 02 2005 - 07:16 AM

Quote:
I believe the inclusion of Laird is a good thing, too.

Indeed. Laird is one of the supervisors of the new animated series and it shows in the quality. He's very much involved with the process.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow