What's new

zone lighting with IR remote (1 Viewer)

swjtlongdrive

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Long
Hello all, this is my first post here. I am building a small home theater on a budget in my basement. Framing is complete and the electrician is coming tomorrow and I have a couple questions. I am wanting to use a zone lighting system with IR controls that can have preset levels for different scenes. I know the graffic eye (spelling) can do this but is very out of my budget. My question is can i use a leviton 4 zone unit? Can i use a universal remote to have the 4 zone switch turn on different zones at preset levels? Or if there is a better option please let me know.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome to Home Theater Forum Tom. The Graphic Eye is over-kill for what you need. I'm not sure which Leviton unit you are referring to. Can you provide a link to it? There are some other options too. If you are going to be using a Universal Remote brand universal remote they have special RF Lutron switches you can use: http://www.universalremote.com/products/residential/lighting/urc-lighting If you aren't sure what remote you are going to use the IR based Lutron Spacer system would be fine. You need one Spacer switch per load (light(s) that you want independent control of). For example you may want to control the level of your wall sconces independent of your cove lights, This would be two loads and you would need a switch for each. If you wanted to set scenes you would need a spacer master control.

swjtlongdrive

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Long
Ok, so what you are saying is that I would need four switches for the four "sets" of lights that I have then I would need a master control. What is the master control. I haven't seen this one. I'll google it but does it require special wiring? I'm prewiring tomorrow, or at least a walk thru, with the electrician. Do i run the switch wires to all one location. thanks in advance for your help.

swjtlongdrive

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Long
Is this a master control? Do I still need switches also?

www.beverlyhillselectric.com/sps5wc.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks