What's new

Your Top 3 Vintage (pre-'70s) series not yet released (1 Viewer)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
This particular discussion thread has appeared here so many times previously be it your top 10 favourite classic tv shows, your top 5 and now your top 3.

Be that as it may my own top three choices (again!) are:

01) SCIENCE FICTION THEATRE
02) ROALD DAHL'S WAY OUT
03) MEN INTO SPACE

When THE INVADERS finally makes it onto a quality DVD release (in Region 1) this will mark the peak in my own interest on any kind of tv series (whether it is old or new) and most anything coming after (discounting the forementioned three choices listed above) will most definitely be "secondary" in nature to me.

Bear in mind that the majority of worthwhile quality classic SF tv series (THE TWILIGHT ZONE, THE OUTER LIMITS, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, THE AVENGERS, THE TIME TUNNEL and THE PRISONER, etc.) have already been exhausted.

Other (elusive) tv properties that I am looking forward to (hopefully someday) include TOPPER, LONG JOHN SILVER, THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (in Region 1), HAWKEYE AND THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS, THE THIRD MAN, WESTINGHOUSE DESILU PLAYHOUSE (especially because of the segment "The Time Element" scripted by Rod Serling), ZORRO, ONE STEP BEYOND, BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER, THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR, THE GREEN HORNET and the remainder of ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY.

This is certainly not a definitive list by any means but I think it covers some interesting titles not addressed in this discussion thread that should be.

MEN INTO SPACE Click Here.

Jeff T.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Great question, Gary! I must admit narrowing it down to 3 was an exercise in futility though.

Thinking about shows I'd be most likely to buy I came up with:

1. The Lone Ranger, even the John Hart season. I'm shocked this isn't out on season sets yet. I spent hours and hours watching this growing up and still enjoyed it when ENCORE WESTERNS ran it several years back.

2. The Roy Rogers Show (with Nellybelle and Bullet the Wonder Dog). Another childhood favorite. The chances of this coming out though is non-existent since I was told by a Rogers family member that Ol' Roy sold the original masters to a private collector years ago. Apparently nobody thought there'd ever be a home video market for these. All that's left are 16mm reels used by local stations for reruns.

3a. My Three Sons - sure there are 12 seasons but there is a lot of charm in this series and the show managed to "reinvent" itself through the years via the appearance of Uncle Charley, addition of Tina Cole (:emoji_thumbsup: ), etc. I'm not holding out much hope this either since it has apparently disappeared from syndication.

3b. Maverick - the theme song alone justifies a release. I trust WHV's ability to do market research, and am quite curious as to what it is showing that causes such concern over a potential release. Is it because Garner isn't there for the full run or is it because westerns in general don't test well?

Steve

Todd_W_Zimmrman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd W. Zimmerman
1. The FBI
2. It Takes a Thief
3. The Name Of the Game

Honorable Mention: Department S (on R1)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

I'm quite mystified by this as well. About 18 months ago Warners released three episode "samplers" for both Maverick and Cheyenne. I purchased the Maverick sampler (which included the "Gunsmoke" parody) hoping that that would lead to a Season 1 release. I was *shocked* when Cheyenne was chosen for release instead. And I'm not all that surprised that we haven't seen a second season of Cheyenne.

Maverick was a very unique western that blended equal parts humor and adventure. The writing was uniformly outstanding. James Garner and Roger Moore (who took over for Garner in the final season) both have legions of devoted fans. And Jack Kelly still has devoted fans as well.

What on earth is holding this series up from release??

I can only assume that Warners' marketing department has been querying the 18-35 demographic. Of course, even most of that demographic has at least heard of Maverick via the Mel Gibson movie.

*** EDIT *** It has been pointed out to me that Maverick actually ran for two seasons after James Garner left. In the fourth season Roger Moore appeared in 15 episodes as cousin Beux Maverick. In the fifth and final season new episodes of Maverick featuring Jack Kelly were alternated with reruns of James Garner playing Maverick from the first three seasons. The point is, the first three seasons were all very strong, and the fourth season was still pretty good. At the very least Warners could release this series in 15 episode "Volumes" if that would make them feel better about the fifth season. But for gosh sakes, put *something* out!!

progrocktv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
Here's mine (in no real order of prefrence)

Hawaiian Eye
T.H.E. Cat
Hey Landlord!
The Mothers In-Law
He and She
Captain Nice
Mr. Teriffic
My Mother The Car
Governor and JJ

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
With the news about "ROUTE 66" being released shortly, I can take that one off my list of top 3. I'm still very firm on my top choice being:

1) FATHER KNOWS BEST

and my second choice now being

2) MY THREE SONS

Added now to my list will be

3) THE DONNA REED SHOW

It's so tough because there are so many shows I'd still like to see released, but at this moment these are my three top choices.

Gary "#3 could be different if you asked me again tomorrow" O.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Back in May my top three were:

1. Route 66
2. The Rebel
3. The Loner

With R66 now a reality and with my continued cautious optimisim for "The Invaders" seeing an R1 release sometime in 2008, I revise my list now to:

1. The Rebel
2. The Loner
3. T.H.E. Cat

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
1 - Way Out (great horror series aired on CBS for 14 episodes in 1961)

2 - My Living Doll (prints still MIA, save for about 10 16mm known to exist)

3 - Bus Stop (great anthology series based on the film)

changa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
1)CHEYENNE (Season 2 And 3).
In my opinion,WB Best Ever TV Show,especially with those 2 seasons mentioned above.
How can you have a Season Set ,without the CHEYENNE Theme Song and with Clint Walker as the star,he looks the part of a Western Hero.(10 out of 10)
2)The Danny Kaye Show .
He was the most multi-talented person on and off screen,there was nothing he couldn't do and he did it with quality.
The closet persons to come near him would be Mickey Rooney;Sammy Davis Jnr and possibly Gene Kelly.
3)Wanted Dead Or Alive (Season 3)
A recent "favourite" of mine.
Honourable Mention To:- Bonanza(I already have 3 taped seasons via my satellite dish from Australia.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I was going for shows that hadn't had any season set releases yet. Your picks of CHEYENNE and WANTED are great picks, but they've had some releases. If we were going with that premise, I'd put LEAVE IT TO BEAVER seasons 3-6 at the top of my list. And HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL seasons 4-6 might squeeze in at the 3 spot as well.

Gary "there are many great shows that have stopped midstream"

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
In order, mine are:

(1) The Green Hornet

(2) Batman (1966)

(3) Zorro (not colorized)

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I see lots of requests for the Donna Reed show. For those who want it, let me ask this: since the show ran for so many seasons and season sets are unlikely, would you purchase a best-of, similar to the Mr. Ed sets?

Brian:C

Stunt Coordinator

Hi Hank, No So, 35mm transfers are being worked on now for release. You can follow the progress on this at Sintcomsonline message board. Also Ann Southern Show.

Brian

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I'd love to see this one get released. Whereas "Barney Miller" was a great comedy about plainclothes detectives, "Car 54, Where Are You?" was a great comedy about uniformed street cops. Paramount has the rights, so there's at least some chance we might see this, though I'm not holding my breath.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
1. The Defenders (Unlikely, sadly)
2. He & She (MPI, please! Take a break form the silly 60's stuff.)
3. Bus Stop (I'd love to see Image release this, but would it sell?)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
ToddR2, I take issue with your comments regarding MPI's releases: are you calling Dark Shadows silly? Be careful of which fanbase you insult, you may get a vampire bat flying thru your window any moment now! BTW, He & She is owned by Paramount!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks