What's new

WWDC Live Discussion Thread: All today's BIG ANNOUNCEMENTS are HERE! (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yeah, but it's here now (or at least very, very close). I'm also just happy MMS is coming, even if I have to wait a little longer. It is long overdue.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Decision time, do I still get an iPhone with this AT&T no tether. That was half the point of waiting. And I bet I can get it hacked in unofficially.

No sign of NGMOCO demoing Star Defense, I'm shocked.

The tomtom accessory is HOT

NGMOCO UP! Told ya! Star Defense is going to be a groundbreaking seller of a game, you heard it here first. WOOT ITS ON THE APP STORE TODAY AS EXPECTED!!!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
(Go back to my previous posts as I am still updating data there until
new iPhone announcement)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
We are an hour and 40 minutes in. If there is new hardware this could go over 2 hours. Ars is running out of battery power its going so long.

Link to Ron's recap:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/3568380-post30.html

ipod touch take it in the shorts again for another $10. FU Sarbanes Oxley!

Iphone 3.0 OS live June 17th

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
So far, I'm pretty happy with what's been announced. Lower-priced MBPs - excellent. I've been waiting for Apple to acknowledge that some of us wanted a smaller MBP, so the 13" MBP may be in my immediate future.

$29 upgrade (for Leopard users) - fantastic. It now becomes a must-upgrade. And this is a serious challenge to Microsoft to rethink their OS upgrade pricing. As good as Win 7 is, it won't make Windows users happy to be paying $150-$200 or more to upgrade while Mac users are getting theirs for $30 at the same time.

Boo to AT&T for late MMS and missing tethering. The exclusivity agreement simply can not end soon enough.

Some cool new apps. My Tom Tom 920 may soon be headed to eBay.

Still hoping we actually get a new iPhone today...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
And now the moment you have been waiting for...

(drumroll)

The new iPhone 3GS ("S" is for SPEED)

June 19th

$199 16GB
$299 for 32GB
(The existing 8GB iPhone 3G will remain -- for $99 available TODAY)

Fact: iPhone makes up of 65% of all mobile web usage.

* Identical form factor. Everything is 2x to 3x faster (app loads and web browsing)
* New built-in 3.0Mpixel autofocus camera. Auto exposure and auto light balance. Touch to Focus.
Improved low-light sensitivity. Auto Macro -- as close as 10cm away.
* Captures Video. "Switch" switches between VIDEO and STILL. 30FPS, VGA with audio, auto-focus, auto-white balance, auto-exposure.
* Videos are shown right alongside the photos in your library app on the phone. You can also edit the videos (trimming).
* You can also share the videos from your iphone using a share button (email, MMS, MobileMe, and to Youtube).

* Voice dialing from anywhere in any app just by holding down home button.
* You can also control the iPod app via voice "Play all songs by the Killers." You can control Genius, "play more songs lke this."
You can also ask "what's playing now?" and it will tell you.

* Features a Digital Compass. Works with the map app, tap to orient you maps depending on how you're facing.
* New acessibility settings like VoiceOver which will read aloud stuff you are hoving your finger over.
* Instant remote wipe, encrypted iTunes backups.
* Data encryption

* Improved battery life. Now up to 9 hours of internet surfing, 10 hours of video, 30 hours of audio, 12 hours of 2g talk-time, 5 hours of 3g talk-time.
* Arsenic free glass, PVC feed, packaging is 23% smaller, Mercury Free LCD
* Comes in black and white

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ohhhh, MACRO! @ChaseJarvis head just exploded I think.

Voice Dialing official, from any app!

Compass works with Google Maps like Android does. One more feature matched up.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
All they did was rebrand the aluminum Macbooks into the Macbook Pro. So you've really had this option at least since last year when the unibody Macbooks were released. Other than the new display, SD card and battery, essentially the same machine.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Notice the silver bezel is still there. Not all black some some of the rumors were saying.

New camera and video capabilities look sweet. My Canon point'n'shoot and my Flip Mino may be joining the Tom Tom on eBay. This is a true convergence device.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Not entirely true. They added the FW800 port, which wasn't on the unibody MacBooks. For me, that was the one missing piece.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Gotcha. But other than that, still essentially the same machine (guts-wise, meaning CPU, mobo, RAM, etc.). I get that it's important to you, but I think the "masses" are moving towards eSATA now. It's getting harder and harder for me to even find Firewire enclosures for HDs (outside of Macsales).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Wow, the iPhone 3GS has addressed every single one of my wishes for the platform. The only things missing (MMS, tethering) are on AT&T, not Apple. For me at this moment, this is the perfect handheld device. This is a no-brainer Day 1 purchase.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
32GB 3GS w/ OS3.0 for $299. I know what I need to save up for now! ;)

June 19. I also now have a date. Hopefully I can get one before I fly out to Hawaii on July 4...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Holy cow. Less than 2 weeks away till iPhone. Will be on line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks