What's new

WWDC Live Discussion Thread: All today's BIG ANNOUNCEMENTS are HERE! (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
OK, reserved my iPhone for in store pickup on the 19th. Lets hope it isn't an out of control mob scene.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I've got a first gen iPhone that I'm looking forward to retiring. I'm glad they have the online pre-ordering working. I think I'll do that with store pickup.

It doesn't matter to me, but I'm trying to figure out the screenshots that are being posted regarding cost if you aren't eligible for an upgrade. You pay $200 more and have a 2-year contract. Correct?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have another thread posted on this.

Those that upgraded to the 3G last July are not going to get
their iPhone for $199 and $299.

I just paid $499 for my iPhone with a 2-year contract renewal.

David, I would think since you have the first-gen phone you will
get the special deal. It should cost you $199 or $299 with a 2-year
contract.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I have the 1st gen phone, purchased on Day 1 in June 2007, and I just pre-ordered the 32GB black iPhone 3G(S) for $299. So those of us early adopters who skipped the 3G upgrade last year will get the good deal, even though our contracts haven't quite expired.

Looks like the 3G upgraders will get the "mid-contract" price as reported by Engadget. Frankly, I think this is a SUCKY way to treat your customers, although I believe it's SOP among all the carriers.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Guess I won't be getting the new iPhone since i have the already got the second gen one last year.

I take that back, My wife's contract expires so we should be able to use her line for the discounted price, right?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I would think so, depending on exactly when it expires. I feel confident in saying if her contract expires within a month, you can use it to get the lowest price (because that's what I just did).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I was just on the Apple site, and noticed that the physical dimensions (H, W, D) of the 3G(s) are exactly the same as the 3G (the new phone does weigh 2 grams more). That means 3G(S) owners can take immediate advantage of all the 3G-sized accessories already on the market. Excellent!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks Ron and Craig for the info. Looks like I'll be going ahead with my upgrade plan.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm going to hold out until late next year before I upgrade. I want to see what happens between AT&T and Apple. Apple doesn't sound too pleased with AT&T right now. Apple barely mentioned them at WWDC.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, kinda hidden in the Snow Leopard updates:
So I have a 2.33GHz C2D Macbook Pro which does support two-finger gestures (i.e. use two fingers to scroll down and two finger tap to bring up contextual menu). Is that technically multi-touch support, and so I can expect to get three- and four- finger gesture support with Snow Leopard?

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK

By the "masses", you must mean PC users. Nobody is using them on the Mac side. eSATA sucks, BTW....they can't be bus powered and they can't be daisy chained. Given that the ExpressCard slot has just been removed from the 15-inch MBP, they will only work on two Mac models...the Mac Pro and the 17-inch MBP. Eventually everyone will be cutting over to USB 3.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Yes, it is. It has saved me a ton of grief and trouble over the years too.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm pleasantly surprised about the Snow Leopard pricing. It's cheap enough that my wife can buy her new Mac anytime -- no need to wait 'til Sept -- and we'll upgrade to 10.6 when it comes out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's the word on GPU-acceleration for 10.6? Do I need to get my wife the fastest video card I can to "future proof" and enhance her Adobe software?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, since no Mac comes with eSATA, that's not surprising. ;)

Honestly, we can say masses = PC users and that's fine. But really when the net result is that I walk into Best Buy, Frys, etc. and most of the external HDs are USB and eSATA only, and the very few Firewire ones I've had bad luck with not being able to boot as target disk (thanks a lot WD, you should warn Mac users if your external firewire HD doesn't support target disk), then it doesn't matter if masses = PC users or whatever, the bottom line is that it's hard to find firewire external HDs out in the real world. I like Macsales as much as the next guy, but they have a pretty high price premium for their firewire enclosures.

Firewire is more niche than Mac hardware, because I can find Macs at most Best Buys, Frys, etc. but I can't find good firewire support at any of them. That's like being a niche within a niche.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for firewire and I agree it's the best interface available, but when it's hard to find good devices for reasonable prices, it gets a little frustrating.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok I need to figure this out.

we can upgrade with my wife's line but not mine.

will they let us switch phone numbers.
she'll keep my 3g put her number on that i get the 3gs and put my number there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks