What's new

Directors Writers Draft (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'm having problems voting in this draft as well as the Foreign film draft because I'm unfamiliar with too many picks. Unless I feel I've seen a substantial number of picks on both lists, I can't judge. So if I don't vote, that's why.

Frankly, I find the "picking" part of the draft the main fun -- just to see what people come up with when allowed the freedom to choose from a world of possibilities.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well the ones I really like on these lists are:

Ray Bradbury
Roald Dahl
Lewis Carroll
Bill Watterson

Alexandre Dumas
George Orwell

and none I dislike, so I guess my vote goes to Chuck.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Eric. Milton and Dante alone win it.

Realizing its a settled issue, but realizing that discussion should be part of these boards, I'm registering my continued objection to george's pick. I think the analogy with Shakespeare is a poor one: someone imagined and wrote those plays; a 'writer' accomplished it (Willy Shakespeare or not). But speeches, which may or may not have been spoken by who may or may not have existed is another matter.

I should have chosen Confucious...

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Well, Angelo, it is certainly debatable. I just don't want to take it too seriously.

I've got the same problem!

In this matchup, I pick myself obviously, but here's my rundown on Eric's list:

Vladimir Nabokov - :emoji_thumbsup: loved Lolita
George Orwell - :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: loved Animal Farm and 1984
Dave Barry - even used to be a big fan, but now I feel he's too repetitive
Anthony Burgess - haven't read anything, but love the movie ACO
Hunter S. Thompson - :emoji_thumbsup: loved F&LiLV, enjoyed Great Snark Hunt
Ken Kesey - :emoji_thumbsup: loved 1FOtCN. started in on Sometimes a Great Notion, but never got into it.

The rest I haven't read, but from what I know, an excellent roster!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Ok, I am confused. Why is everyone saying L. Ron Hubbard is not a "writer"? He wrote the book "Battlefield Earth". Or is there some well known fact that he isn't the author of that book and I totally missed out on that. (Wouldn't be a surprise to me, I miss a lot of things!) Or does the majority just think he is a terrible writer? I don't mind looking like an idiot in asking this, I am used to this.:) Just forgive my ignorance, that's all I ask!

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
These are pretty strong lists, though I think Chuck's is a little more to my taste. Though I must say that I don't like Vonnegut near as much as I used to.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
This is what happens when you have two George's...

GWK, we're discussing george kaplan's pick of Jesus Christ.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
:b :b :b :b :b
Oh My God!!! I feel like the biggest idiot right now. I was thinking about Hubbard's views of scientology and figured the theological comment was on that. The whole Jesus thing blew right over my head.

NOTE: Please disregard my last couple of posts. Fast forward past them. In fact, what posts?:frowning:

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
The whole Jesus thing blew right over my head.
:D
Sorry if I contributed to the confusion!

Anyway, I said what I had to say. If Jesus is in, he's in! Actually, I'm surprised that not of the 'attributed' authors of the Gospels made it in.

Climbing off soapbox...

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Hehe, well, I was going to decline voting on my own list, but since Chuck voted for his, I suppose I will vote for mine to balance things out. :)

I do have a lot of respect for Chuck's list - I think he made some great picks. Dostoevsky was almost my last pick, and was my backup pick after I pulled the trigger on Dante too early!

Voting is going to be very difficult in this "tournament" because there are so many excellent lists. I agree that the fun part is just picking your "dream team" and some of the discussion that comes out in the process. :)

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I agree, the fun part is in the picking. But the voting can be very fun, too. I think more discussion happens during the voting.

As for Dostoyevsky, I didn't quite feel right picking him because I've only read the one book, but it impressed me so much. I've started on Brothers Karamazov (which is really good so far) and I plan to read everything else by him eventually.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well, all I'll say is that somebody wrote those words down. If you want to attribute it to Luke, a Syrian from Antioch circa AD 80-90, or John Mark, cousin of Barnabas circa AD 70, or John, son of Zebedee, that's fine with me. I find it easier to attribute their authorship to Jesus, who despite any religious beliefs one has one way or another, is most certainly a real historic figure, who may or may not have spoken these words.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Well, we may be splitting semantic hairs here. Jesus may or may not have been the author of the words as spoken, but I prefer to think of them as the words of the Evangelists (or Gospelists, or Sophistic authors, or whatever the heck they're called) as they recalled them, or as they imagined them, or as they heard them in a dream, or a vision, whatever.

In that vein, I think that John's Gospel is the most beautiful, and the most poetic (obviously this did not originate with me; seems like many people have the same preference). Had I wanted to get Jesus' words into the tourney, I would have chosen John (man, now I sorry that I didn't!).

This kind of discussion makes these drafts/votes all the more interesting.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
As I indicated previously, my reading is limited these days, and ( as is obvious by my choices ) confined mostly to certain genres. These two factors are going to make it extremely difficult for me to make selections in some rounds. ( On the other hand, there isn't a big cash prize, so what the heck. :) ) With those disclaimers in place...

Chuck

- Walter.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I win, 8-4. Next matchup!

George Kaplan
J.R.R. Tolkien
Charles Dickens
Agatha Christie
L. Frank Baum
Al Franken
Neil Simon
Rod Serling
Roger Ebert
Gary Larson
Jesus Christ

vs.

ErikG
Stephen King
Louis L'Amour
Stan Lee
Robert Jordan
Mark Twain
Frank Herbert
Clive Barker
Alan Dean Foster
Mary Higgins Clark
Charles M. Schulz

George has a controversial choice, and discussion is encouraged, but let's keep it civil please.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks