What's new

Woo Hoo! The Crow and Gangs of NY announced for BD in the UK...! (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I wish Disney would announce some more titles already...!

If these do wind up region free, I would import T C...

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
There´s always a chance that the press release and the back cover states "Region B", but they would be actually "R0". We have added the region code info (when we can confirm it) in our site ("Rewind") in majority of the Blu-ray-releases and I have noticed that many releases have e.g. "Region A" or "B" listed on the back cover, but are actually "R0". Then again, that "Region B"-info could be just true this time.. :frowning: (I have also US PS3).

Sometimes people bluntly claim that "Blu-ray releases are region coded", when in reality only selected ones are. Since people nowadays are a bit lazy and don´t want to search info from the net (even when it´s just a few clicks away), some people might actually believe that "all are region coded".

What comes to LOTR-trilogy, I´m pretty sure that PJ wants to be involved (well, not fully sure after their legal disputes etc) when they´ll be released in HD, so it probably takes a bit more time. IF e.g. EIV releases them in the UK, they probably won´t have the same extras as the (most likely) upcoming US-releases. New Line is not stupid. When LOTR will be released in HD, it´ll be the biggest HD-release/set so far - with big promotion and all the bells & whistles. It´s the trilogy that kicks the butt of Matrix and POTC. ;)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I could be wrong but I thought that HD DVD didn't even have region coding included in it's specs. In other words they couldn't region code it even if they wanted too.

Doug

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, Disney will soon anounce The Crow here in the U.S. - this is a must-buy for me.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Interesting, but if the discs themselves don't include any region coding by order of the specs, what could would a region coded player be? Are you saying they would add the region coding to the discs as an addendum the the spec?

Doug

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I just can´t remember now, but there has been some talk that China would get their "own" HD DVD-format. Or something. :) This could be just very old news and eventually it won´t happen.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Yeah the chinese HD format is called VMD or Versatile Multilayer Disc. As far as I know its pretty much just being marketed inside China and India. Here is a website with some info on the 3rd HD format.

http://www.nmeinc.com/

Doug

Jace_A

Second Unit

These are not Tartan releases; they are from Entertainment in Video. Tartan are releasing Black Book, The Seventh Seal and Old Boy on Blu-Ray.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Bloody hell... I was so excited that I got confused between these two companies. Sorry!

So Tartan-releases are R0, but EiV *probably* "region B". I can try to e-mail EiV, perhaps they´ll answer that are they actually "region B". Probably..

Sorry again.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
Jari - do you have an email address for EIV ? they don't seem to have a website.

i've learnt the hard way; ordered this blu-ray a while back, and have just found out it's region B; but too late; it's shipped. i'd just like to know why EIV made such a bone headed decision. on new releases i get, but catalog titles ? what's their motivation ? what's making that little hamster spin it's wheel ? very interested to find out from them.

cheers.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I read on AVS that someone got a copy and it looked pretty bad.
He said it was Region B as well and apparently has the non 1080 over component thiny engaged

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I use HDMI and 1080p, so that´s what interest me..

Are you sure that they´re "Region B"? I mean the back cover info cannot be fully trusted, we need confirmed reports.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Found this tidbit from the blog by Whiggles (AKA Michael Mackenzie). Michael has always some firm ( ;) ) opinions, but the guy knows a thing or two about DVD and HD..

http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/archives/bluray/

"Entertainment In Video appears to have become the first studio to enable the Image Constraint Token for high definition content. This flag, when checked, only allows content to be output at its full resolution via a secure HDCP-compliant HDMI or DVI connection: in other words, those watching their HD material via component, VGA or non-HDCP DVI will end up seeing a downscaled 960x540 resolution image - in other words only slightly more horizontal resolution than standard definition, and less vertical resolution than standard definition PAL."

Doesn´t sound good for the people with component. Not sure that is this "confirmed" info, though.

Jace_A

Second Unit

It's been confirmed on AVS by a number of posters who have this disc that it is locked to Region B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks