What's new

Will we get RODAN (1957)? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I would imagine that whoever has the DVD rights to the Godzilla series and other Toho sci-fi films also owns RODAN, but I am wondering whether we will see this in the original, full-length, Japanese incantation. Seems to me that a Japanese laserdisc existed that was ten or fifteen minutes longer than the 70-minute quickie we Americans are used to. Also, what would the OAR be?

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Classic Media (Sony), who has been releasing all of the Toho Godzilla movies from the 50's through early 70's also has the US rights to Rodan. The word is that they will get around to releasing Rodan along with War of the Gargantuas sometime in 2008. They've been pretty slow in releasing the titles, so it may not be until sometime late next year when we see them, assuming no unexpected delays.

I assume, though I don't have any confirmation, that Classic Media also has the rights to the orginal MOTHRA. If so, hopefully we'll get that sometime next year as well.

And Rodan was originally released in Academy (4:3) ratio, so a full-screen release will be correct OAR.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Classic Media does not have Mothra, that one is held by Sony directly. It's a mistake to equate Classic Media with Sony, as Sony was at one time their distributor. That was their only connection. The earliest release from Sony might be '09, and that's only because an insider posted on an Asian monster message board that it was nowhere on the '08 schedule.

You can reference this thread here, from the Monster Zero message boards:
http://www.clubtokyo.org/discuss/vie...ghlight=mothra

Regarding Rodan, there is a reasonable chance we will get both the Japanese and US versions of the film given Classic Media's recent track record. Frankly, I'm not aware of any specific differences as I've never seen the Japanese version, but if there are any we should see them.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

There are quite a few differences in the American version, actually; it's been quite awhile since I've watched my fansubbed VHS of the Japanese version but here's what I remember off the top of my head:

1. The narrated stock footage prologue of the bomb explosion was added.

2. Quite a bit of footage of the giant larvae (Meganuron) attacking was eliminated.

3. Part of the Rodan's attack on the couple taking pictures was eliminated.

4. Parts of the film were re-edited; some shots in the scene of the attack on the Meganuron in the mine were repeated, and you know much earlier in the film that there are two Rodans because they repeat and flip shots showing the Rodan hiding in the mountain right before he emerges, to make it look like there are two emerging. In the Japanese version, the second Rodan just shows up out of the blue. I believe some shots are repeated in the Rodans' final attack on Sasebo as well.

5. Chunks of the music score were replaced.

6. Some sound effects were beefed up, quite effectively actually, especially the military's missile attack on the volcano.

7. And finally, that bloody heavy-handed narration was added throughout.

Two of the changes I actually think were for the better, namely the re-editing to show the two Rodans earlier (the second showing up at the end with no explanation just doesn't work for me), and the sound effects. The rest are regrettable, especially the narration, although I do like the dub track apart from that.

I think there may be bits of footage in the American that aren't in the Japanese, because the distribs had access to the work print in preparing the American. Perhaps a Rodan expert might care to chime in here and correct/augment my statements?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The DVd was a port over of the LD and it was full frame. What's funny is that the print looked like the old kineoscope of an old TV show, with the reflections and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks