What's new

Why does Episode II DVD show black bars on my widescreen TV? (1 Viewer)

GeorgeVT

Agent
Hey guys,

I just bought a 16:9 Toshiba 51H83 and I tested out Episode II DVD on it. I made sure the DVD was set to 16:9 (widescreen). However, when I watch the movie the top and bottom black bars still show up...why? Do all dvds have this...what should I look for that will tell me a DVD will take up whole 16:9 screen?

Thanks

Mark Barnhill

Stunt Coordinator
The aspect ratio on a 16:9 tv is 1.77, the aspect ratio on (Star Wars) episode II is 2.35 so there will be black bars present. usually a 1.85 ratio will show with no black bars due to overscan, so if you buy a dvd with 1.85 aspect ratio it should fill the screen if your overscan is set correctly.

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
If you REALLY need to fill the screen you can always use Theaterwide 2 or Theaterwide 3 to zoom in on the picture. This will cut off the sides of the picture while expanding to fill the screen. You have to decide which is more important to you -- seeing the WHOLE picture in its intended aspect ratio (with black bars top and bottom) or filling the whole screen and missing things you were supposed to see.

Shaun C

Agent
Bob, another consideration is burn-in. Without turning this into a burn-in thread:

1. I know if your set is calibrated right and your contrast low enough, the experts here say you would not see burn-in by watching with the black bars.

2. However, if you watch a LOT of content with the black bars, even on a calibrated set, you will be "using up" the phospors on that area of the tubes, more than the black areas. So, theoretically, you could see a difference when watching a screen-filling content, years down the road.

For my own personal viewing, I now watch in modes that fill the entire screen, whenever possible. You can't do it with 2.35:1 non-anamorphic, but I keep these to a minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks