What's new

WHV Press Release: SORCERER (Blu-ray Book) (2 Viewers)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
This release is as important to me as IAMMMMW was to a lot of folks here. I've got my own personal countdown going on for this :). The only other announcement that might trump it is THE ABYSS. Not too optimistic about seeing an announcement for that one, though. Even if it IS coming out this year it probably won't street until the end of the year.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I saw SORCERER when it first premiered and can remember next to nothing about it other than being bored witless! No doubt I was comparing it unfavourably with the brilliant WAGES OF FEAR (which incidentally I was taken to see when it was first released when I was just 8 years old and my first subtitled viewing experience!). Nevertheless I would be intrigued to see the film again and hopefully reappraise it.

I'm puzzled by the press release giving the title of one of Bruno Cremer's films as UNDER THE SUN. What is this film? I can't trace it anywhere as one of Mr Cremer's. Going off topic a bit, Bruno Cremer was a wonderful MAIGRET in the French TV series and I saw him in the film FLESH OF THE ORCHID recently - an amazingly weird and fascinating French noirish thriller.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Douglas R said:
I'm puzzled by the press release giving the title of one of Bruno Cremer's films as UNDER THE SUN. What is this film? I can't trace it anywhere as one of Mr Cremer's.
Most likely a typo. I bet they meant Under the Sand.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Mark Cappelletty said:
That would be weird given that WB just dumped the DVD down to "Archive" status just last year… except that they're doing the same thing with GET CARTER, which I never thought we'd see in hi-def.
Actually later in the podcast there is a clip of Friedkin himself saying when Warner Brothers was working on the blu-ray of Cruising they went looking for the 40 minutes that he cut from the film to get it down to an R rating and that they could not find it. So, I would say Warner is bringing out a blu of Cruising.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Mark Cappelletty said:
That would be weird given that WB just dumped the DVD down to "Archive" status just last year… except that they're doing the same thing with GET CARTER, which I never thought we'd see in hi-def.
This could also be a case of Friedkin personally investing his own money into this venture, something he clearly did with Sorcerer in order to untangle that rights mess it was apparently in and bring that to blu-ray.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Warner may just release a Cruising Blu-ray through the Archive. They are supposed to be ramping that program up again with a better turnout than 2013 ended up being.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I can't wait for SORCERER on Blu-ray - it's already on pre-order for me. The intervening three months will be just interminable. But I'll wait. And I'll try to wait patiently and find other things to occupy my time. We've still got a bunch of holiday Blu-rays to get through, so I'll turn my attention to those.

But in the back of my mind will be the thought of finally seeing SORCERER in its intended aspect ratio, in all of its Blu-ray detailed glory.

By the way, I don't think anyone's commented on the artwork for the Blu-ray "book", but I think it's excellent. The haunting expression on Roy Scheider's half-covered face melded with the oil-fire explosion is a pretty good one. I'm usually not one for "floating heads" but this one's pretty decent.

Harry
...counting the days, online...

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
While HTFers await this new Sorcerer they might like to check out a recent two-part special from Top Gear, the BBC's global motoring show. Clarkson, May and Hammond drive three old trucks across Burma to the River Kwai where they construct a bridge which they must use to take their trucks to the other side.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm not a regular watcher of TOP GEAR, but I do love those occasional episodes (like the one in South America). I'll have to watch for that one.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Harry-N said:
Just 35 days to go now until street date. Hopefully we'll get a Blu-ray review someday soon.

Harry
WB embargoes reviews until 14 days pre-street, so even if this one arrives before then, no reviews can go online until April 8 at the earliest...

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
That's fine. I wasn't lobbying for anyone to break rules...

Le'see, 35 days minus 14 days equal 21 days (3 weeks) until a review can appear. More to look forward to.

Harry

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Harry-N said:
That's fine. I wasn't lobbying for anyone to break rules...

Le'see, 35 days minus 14 days equal 21 days (3 weeks) until a review can appear. More to look forward to.

Harry
Didn't think you were - just wasn't sure if you knew about WB's embargo! :)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Siskel & Ebert reviewed SORCERER on one of their "Overlooked Classics" episodes of SNEAK PREVIEWS. It's the first film reviewed on this show:

http://siskelandebert.org/video/Y8O2G832HBOS/Sneak-Previews-Overlooked-Classics

If you've not seen SORCERER and are awaiting its Blu-ray appearance, then you might find the review to be a bit of a spoiler. For those who are familiar with the movie, it's a welcome "classic" review with an attempt to explain why it failed.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks