What's new

WHV Announcement: Looney Tunes Super Stars Foghorn & Tweety (1 Viewer)

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia

Originally Posted by Traveling Matt

Quote:

Everyone in this thread, myself included, is complaining. And rightfully so.

If you choose to support these new titles, that's your decision. I won't even consider them.

Pardon my annoyance here, but I have to sound off!

If you read the thread before shooting off your comment, you’d see that I’ve made my share of complaints along the way!

I even say: “[COLOR= #303030]On this we can agree, though, we all are disgusted!” [/COLOR]

So, what makes you think otherwise? I’m “complaining” too, see? Or does “disgusted” have some other, more positive meaning?

[COLOR= #f00]My objection was to someone who said THIS:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #f00] [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #f00]“I'm with everyone else here. Unless WHV returns to the standards of the Golden Collections, I'll just stick with those six volumes and call it a done deal.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #f00] [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #f00]“I won't support anything that deviates away from the precedent already set (other than slimming down to single discs with no extras).”[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #008000]Another poster responded: “Well, not everyone!”[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #008000] [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #00f]And I supported that poster’s position! That position BEING (Please read closely!)… [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #00f] [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #00f]…Everyone in this thread does not hold as extreme a view as the poster who apparently plans to never again buy a WB DVD that falls short of the Golden Collections! [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #00f] [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #00f]Well, not everyone agrees with THAT position, as some of us ACTUALLY HAVE the new Bugs and Daffy sets to complain about – including me! [/COLOR]

So, what are you trying to say? Damned if I know! Musta been important enough to you to blast a total stranger, though!

I’m not trying to start a fight, but I’ll not let you denigrate me or my comments – when you clearly have no idea what those comments meant!

Disagree with me all you want… but understand what it is you’re disagreeing with, before you publish. Hope you appreciate my annoyance!

We cool?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Oh, I'm getting the Foghorn set because most of it's previously unreleased. But it could have been done in a better way with ALL Foghorn or even a complete set for this character. It seems they always find some way to screw up something that ought to be simple.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia

Thanks, Matt. I thought you’d understand. No hard feelings at all!

It’s like this: For years, I’ve wanted such Bugs Bunny cartoons as “Bushy Hare”, “Napoleon Bunny-Part”, and “Foxy by Proxy”.

Now, even if the latter two are botched in an attempt to be “historically accurate” (Something I’m not on board with, but don’t find as repulsive as some.) and not as perfectly restored as in the past, I still have them! They are uncut, and they are on my shelf for me to enjoy again and again.

I’d rather have them with commentaries, and isolated scores… but I have them.

Same holds for the Daffy and upcoming Foghorn sets. Won’t go near the double-dipped T&S set. Warner can choke on that!

Expressing a complaint will probably not move Warner. They don’t seem to care. And they certainly aren’t going to go back and re-do them. So, at least to me, it’s better to have them this way… than not at all.

If you and certain others care to hold a harder line, that’s your right – and I hope you are rewarded… even if that results in forcing me to buy another, improved version of these botched shorts.

But, I think we all have the common ground of dissatisfaction.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
To be honest, I would much prefer an assortment of various cartoons featuring all characters and vintages. It's tiring to watch too many Pepe or roadrunner cartoons in a row. Earners should release them in Cartoon Carnival assortments with no double dipping. Both collectors and kids would buy that.

By the way, anyone wanna bet which title will sell best? Tweetie is Warners' most popular character. He outsells all the other characters by a huge margin. They're double dipping because they can get away with it.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Joe Tor1 30#post_3725280
  But, I think we all have the common ground of dissatisfaction.

Indeed. The two most frustrating aspects of this first wave are the availability of some properly formatted films as well as what appears to be proper QC in other areas (indications seem to be that the films are fully restored). What's difficult, of course, is that you can't buy the non-cropped films without buying the cropped ones as well.

If WHV has cropped the first wave, will double-dip at least half the second wave and has already decided to relegate the rest to the Archive before even releasing the second wave, then it seems clear to me that even they don't know what they want from the Looney Tunes.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia

Indeed. The two most frustrating aspects of this first wave are the availability of some properly formatted films as well as what appears to be proper QC in other areas (indications seem to be that the films are fully restored). What's difficult, of course, is that you can't buy the non-cropped films without buying the cropped ones as well.

If WHV has cropped the first wave, will double-dip at least half the second wave and has already decided to relegate the rest to the Archive before even releasing the second wave, then it seems clear to me that even they don't know what they want from the Looney Tunes.

We seem to be agreeing all over the place, Matt!

Golden Collections, love them or not, was at least "a strategy". What the heck is their strategy now?

Nailwraps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony DiPaola
I'll buy the Foghorn DVD and even if it's in the matted widescreen format I'll still buy it (even though I hate the matted widescreen). But hopefully, this incident has made WB seen the error and won't do it again (I hope).

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
This has to be the most depressing thread on the HTF. Personally, I am perfectly happy with double dipping provided that the studio is trying to advance the ball at the same time. I have nothing against the studios making money. I also think that if you look at the classic television shows that have been treated the best by the studios (Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, I Love Lucy), the commonality is that each show has fans who have been willing to upgrade through each improvement (I should note that I am on a very tight budget myself and cannot buy everything I would like to). What is depressing about this thread is that it seems like WHV has given up advancing the ball. Although I like Foghorn Leghorn much more than the other lower tier Looney Tunes characters (primarilly because his shorts do not rely so much on the tired chase formula that marks Road Runner, S&T, and Speedy Gonzales), and I want to get this set, the choice to put it in widescreen does seem to be a poorly considerd cost cutting measure.

WHV: here is an idea. Release a series of the Chronological Buggs Bunny (or nearly chronological if you want to omit All This and Rabbit Stew and Buggs Bunny Nips the Nips). Have it feature restored versions of all the cartoons and an aspect ratio that best fits the material. Such a series would naturally include a lot of previously released material, but it would also be commercial and result in many newly restored Buggs Bunny shorts. It might not be everying I would dream about, but it is something I could live with.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes

...the choice to put it in widescreen does seem to be a poorly considerd cost cutting measure.

It's been alleged that Warner "cut costs" by restoring only the matted portions of the cartoons that were presented wide screen, but this sounds screwy to me. Unless I hear evidence to the contrary, I'm assuming they scanned and restored the full negative frame and electronically matted it in preparing the DVD versions.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Paul Penna

... I'm assuming they scanned and restored the full negative frame and electronically matted it in preparing the DVD versions.

I'm sure this is what they did. No one would do it otherwise.

jquirk

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I'm certain, too, that WB restored the full negative frames for these cartoons. The decision to crop them came later.

On a related note, did anyone notice that the cropped versions don't look that sharp? The effect is the same as if you would have zoomed them in on a big screen television. I don't know how WB went about accomplishing the cropping, but it seems to me that more than the tops and bottoms of the picture were lost in the process. It seems like some of the picture quality was lost, as well. I could see vague outlines surrounding the moving characters, which is very similar to what the picture looks like when you zoom something in on a big screen television.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Just a quick FYI for those thinking about getting the Foghorn Leghorn set. Picked it up yesterday at Sam's Club and after you get past the lawyer speak, you are presented with the options "Full Screen" or "Widescreen". From there you go into the normal navigation menus. So, yes, all 15 cartoons are available in both full screen, or 1:1.78 enhanced widescreen. To my way of thinking, a perfectly acceptable solution to the problem presented on the Bugs and Daffy discs. I can't speak to the Tweety disc as I didn't bother picking it up since I have all the Gold Collections.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Super! Thanks for the update and info! I was on the fence with this as Foghorn is my favorite of the LT cast but now it's a no-brainer!

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
The official clips from the Foghorn DVD that Warner put on YouTube are technically fullscreen, but they're really just the widescreen versions stretched to look fullscreen. Is the presentation on the Foghorn disc the real deal?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Man, we never get peace of mind. Now I have to worry if the fullscreen versions are just the widescreen versions stretched to look fullscreen -- and it wouldn't surprise me if they are!

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
The full screen shorts on the disc are the real deal, I wouldn't have posted if I hadn't confirmed it on my own television. The dead giveaway, of course, is the "target" during the opening credits. If it were stretched, it would be an oval rather than a circle. They are even a little windowboxed during the credits to account for overscan. Kind of annoying, but bearable. If it makes people feel any better, I'll go back and double check this evening.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I have 5 of the 6 Golden Collection Looney Tunes sets. Do you all know if the Foghorn set contains unreleased shorts or are they duplicates of the ones that have been previously released in the Golden Collection sets?

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Of the 15 shorts on the Foghorn set, 14 are new to DVD. From a Gold Collection standpoint, it's worth picking up which is why I got it. The Tweety disc is all repeats, so no point in getting it.

I double-double checked the fullframe versus widescreen again and yes, it is actually proper fullframe. The widescreen versions are absolutely cropped versus the fullframe versions. So again, for Gold Collection folks, this release holds up pretty well.

Nailwraps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony DiPaola
This is absoulutely great news! Now, I wonder if WHV will make a recall program for the Bugs and Daffy discs...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks