What's new

Where's Robert Harris When You Need Him? (1 Viewer)

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Err, probably because he is busy restoring films that we will then get to drool over when they are released on Blu-ray.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I don't always agree with his final assessments, but his knowledge of films from this era is unsurpassed, ergo my interest in his thoughts about these three new Blu titles.

When I saw King of Kings on TCM a few years back, I compared it to the dvd. TCM presented it in a 2.20 ratio and there was fair amount more on top/bottom and a lot less on the sides. I wonder what elements were used for the blu-ray? It looks spectacular, but I'm just wondering about the ratio.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I am pretty sure he would give both the Bible and King of Kings a recommended or highly recommended and TGSET a resounding FAIL of more or less Spartacus proportions.

I have seen two reviews for TGSET that give it 3/5 which would indicate it is still passable but from what I can see they used the old HD master that I have had the displeasure to check out recently and even factoring in that it might look a tad better on Blu-Ray because of the higher bitrate and less compression the more appropriate rating for TGSET would be around 2 out of 5 if we want to stay within the context of a score system.

Originally Posted by Professor Echo

/forum/thread/310374/where-s-robert-harris-when-you-need-him#post_3797981

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by eric scott richard

When I saw King of Kings on TCM a few years back, I compared it to the dvd. TCM presented it in a 2.20 ratio and there was fair amount more on top/bottom and a lot less on the sides. I wonder what elements were used for the blu-ray? It looks spectacular, but I'm just wondering about the ratio.

King of Kings is 2.35:1 as with the old dvd. Technirama's unique 8-perf neg ratio allows both aspect ratios to be considered correct.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

He hasn't, but RAH has indeed been working on a few projects and is only now starting to catch up on a backlog of viewing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by OliverK

I am pretty sure he would give both the Bible and King of Kings a recommended or highly recommended and TGSET a resounding FAIL of more or less Spartacus proportions.

I have seen two reviews for TGSET that give it 3/5 which would indicate it is still passable but from what I can see they used the old HD master that I have had the displeasure to check out recently and even factoring in that it might look a tad better on Blu-Ray because of the higher bitrate and less compression the more appropriate rating for TGSET would be around 2 out of 5 if we want to stay within the context of a score system.

With all due respect to RAH, those of us that have viewed the King of Kings blu-ray, really don't need RAH to confirm what an excellent presentation it is. Furthermore, those that haven't viewed the BRD can read the many positive reviews across the internet about it from reviewers and non-reviewers. The opposite can be said about The Greatest Story Ever Told BRD.

Crawdaddy

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Very true Robert, I was just answering to the original post of Professor Echo.

The feedback for KoK is very positive everywhere even where it isn't at other times. The screencaps look nice, too and everybody seems to be happy. Now don't get me started about TGSET though....

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

With all due respect to RAH, those of us that have viewed the King of Kings blu-ray, really don't need RAH to confirm what an excellent presentation it is. Furthermore, those that haven't viewed the BRD can read the many positive reviews across the internet about it from reviewers and non-reviewers. The opposite can be said about The Greatest Story Ever Told BRD.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by OliverK

Very true Robert, I was just answering to the original post of Professor Echo.

The feedback for KoK is very positive everywhere even where it isn't at other times. The screencaps look nice, too and everybody seems to be happy. Now don't get me started about TGSET though....

Oliver, my post with your quote wasn't a direct reply to what you stated, but just my opinion regarding this thread and the need for RAH's input regarding those BR releases.

Crawdaddy

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
With all due respect to other reviews by critics/consumers, most of which I do reference and consider, I still appreciate and invest in Robert Harris' expertise for titles of this caliber and specifically from this era. It's not necessarily as a buying guide, but as intellectual curiosity. As I previously posted, I may not always concur with his critical judgments, but his extensive technical knowledge of film history is both learned and comprehensive. Seeking his professional investigations and examinations toward same should not indicate any lack of research or confidence in other sources.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

With all due respect to other reviews by critics/consumers, most of which I do reference and consider, I still appreciate and invest in Robert Harris' expertise for titles of this caliber and specifically from this era.

It's not necessarily as a buying guide, but as intellectual curiosity. As I previously posted, I may not always concur with his critical judgments, but his extensive technical knowledge of film history is both learned and comprehensive. Seeking his professional investigations and examinations toward same should not indicate any lack of research or confidence in other sources.

Yet, I don't want him to feel obligated to comment on every Blu-ray release that a HTF member is wondering about because his valuable time is compromised by the great work he does for a living.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just to chime in. I've had a chance to spot check King of Kings, and it looks precisely as it should. This is a project that should have been a simple image harvest toward the creation of an HD master. Beautiful disc.

I have not yet seen either GSET or Bible.

What is it with religion and April?

RAH

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
April? I think it might have something to do with Easter; just a guess. Personally, I just want to see Jeff Hunter in the role once again. Saw it when I was about 11, and have never forgotten the impact it made. I was actually disappointed that Mel's Mighty Masochistic Epic lacked the political dimension of KOK.

In marketing terms, I think the studios are aiming not so much at collectors or even nostalgia buffs, but at buyers in non-big-city areas, who are going to be less discriminating, or so it is felt, in terms of picture and audio quality. I believe they're wrong. Every time I travel up country I see dozens of remote ranches and farms, each with its cluster of satellite dishes, and I'd be willing to bet quite a few of those folks are watching HD. I believe quality sells, and that even someone living in the country with only a few BR discs will be able to spot the difference in quality.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Well, let me just diplomatically say that my guess is everyone, both invited guest reviewers of HTF and the rest of us who post and read, all consider their time to be valuable and perhaps too that our respective professions and pursuits are as equally invaluable as those of Robert Harris.

My request was simple and polite and intentionally humorous and certainly did not impose any obligation on anyone. This thread could just as easily faded away without any input of any kind from Robert Harris or anyone. I am grateful that he did choose to respond at least in part and gave us a mini-review for one of the titles I asked about. Thank you.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
i whole heartly agree, the job done by the reviewers are outstanding, and as for Robert, well there is an insight there that isnt availabe everywhere else. as stated in another post, his references to the film, and the way it was filmed, filtered presented and the current presentation is always a great read. its like listening to rudy belmer, just so much great info.

as for the rest, everyone on here has my respect, i have made many wise choices by what i have read from the reviews on this site.

and lastly April and religous films, well the tie in is good friday-easter and passover, and people are drawn in at that time, its less comercial than christmas.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

My request was simple and polite and intentionally humorous and certainly did not impose any obligation on anyone. This thread could just as easily faded away without any input of any kind from Robert Harris or anyone. I am grateful that he did choose to respond at least in part and gave us a mini-review for one of the titles I asked about. Thank you.

Yet, the rest of us don't have a thread started with our name in it despite it being intentionally humorous. Anyhow, I made my point and RAH gave us his thoughts on the title he viewed.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Just to chime in. I've had a chance to spot check King of Kings, and it looks precisely as it should. This is a project that should have been a simple image harvest toward the creation of an HD master. Beautiful disc.

I have not yet seen either GSET or Bible.

What is it with religion and April?

RAH

I think RAH was joking with that question.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

My pleasure. I've been re-working my projection system, and finally was able to have it tuned today. There are wonderful reviewers on HTF and elsewhere, who can generally act as guides toward quality. ISF, Kevin Miller, who is one of a very few people that I trust with my gear, spent a number of hours today, getting things into shape. The trick is finding the ISF member in your community that really knows their stuff. I've been fortunate over the years to have worked with both Joe Kane and Kevin, and am probably spoiled that I receive precisely what I request. Hopefully, once I get my hands on a copy, I can reference The Bible.

One of the unfortunate things about biblical or religious based films, is that they generally aren't very good. Ben-Hur is the winner, along with Spartacus. King of Kings is a pretty film, but not a great one. Greatest Story Every Told is problematic, and one of the most uneven is Exodus. More modern, and following the birth of the State of Israel, it's form involves a multitude of acting styles, some bad dialogue, and oft-problematic direction. Which leaves us with the consummate classic kitsch of The Ten Commandments, which has its own peculiar charm.

At least problematic religious films play no favorites. All religions are treated equally.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks