What's new

Where's Robert Harris When You Need Him? (1 Viewer)

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson

Although I like KING OF KINGS, to me it's always come up just short of being a great picture. It was good, but lacked that last "oomph" to put it over the top. It may be that Jeffrey Hunter didn't have anyone to play off in the film. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS is a case in point. Charlton Heston is v-e-r-y good. That kind of role is hard to pull off without looking ridiculous. That he never does is testament (pun intended) to how good Heston is. Even so, the picture is helped immensely by that crackling performance from Yul Brynner. The interplay between the two pushes THE TEN COMMANDMENTS into greatness. Yes, it's corny schmaltz -- but it's Grade A, Choice Cut corny schmaltz with oomph galore!

Brynner is fabulous in TTC. Hadn't seen it in 15 years and was shocked at the breathtaking colors the BD presents of the scene when Rameses assembles the chariots to chase the fleeing Hebrews. The beauty of it is a close second to the most ravishing images ever - the march into Wadi Rumm in Lawrence. If I live to be as old as Moses, I'll never understand how Lean could have acquiesced to (or reportedly suggested!) it's elimination for reasons of length following the premiere. I'd be jealous of cutting a single frame from that masterpiece, yet willing to sacrifice any number of other scenes in order to save that particular flower. It doesn't move the story along or add anything to it but, as I read recently, Lawrence is above all a sensory experience, and the scene adds immeasurably to that. Ignorant of its existence until Robert Harris restored it to us, the effect on one who'd many times seen only the eviscerated version was profound.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
I think The Ten Commandments is best enjoyed in several bite-sized pieces, maybe in ten sections, or perhaps 20 minutes per commandment. Someone commented above about its silent movie technique - it is incredibly static, unwatchably so in my opinion, and framed like schoolbook murals. It's pious and self-important and you think, well, I would never invite Moses to dinner. What a crashing, priggish bore he'd be. It is, though, worth enduring for one line from Mr Brynner. Returning from the watching Moses part the Red Sea, he thinks in a fit of pique that he might disembowel Mrs Pharoah. He draws his sword, then drops it noisily to the floor, then slumps poutingly on his throne and says the only decent line in the script: "His God Is God." Fade-out.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by AdrianTurner

I think The Ten Commandments is best enjoyed in several bite-sized pieces, maybe in ten sections, or perhaps 20 minutes per commandment. Someone commented above about its silent movie technique - it is incredibly static, unwatchably so in my opinion, and framed like schoolbook murals.

It was meant to be framed like biblical illustrations.

It's pious

A biblical epic that's pious? How shocking!

and self-important

A story about an all-powerful deity considers itself important. Another shock!

and you think, well, I would never invite Moses to dinner.

Not making good conversation at dinner doesn't make a person uninteresting.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I never quite understood how the majority of users here and in other forums are very quick to dismiss King of Kings yet praise TTC as if it was in another league. Imo both have their flaws although these are very different flaws indeed.

I think The Ten Commandments is best enjoyed in several bite-sized pieces, maybe in ten sections, or perhaps 20 minutes per commandment. Someone commented above about its silent movie technique - it is incredibly static, unwatchably so in my opinion, and framed like schoolbook murals. It's pious and self-important and you think, well, I would never invite Moses to dinner. What a crashing, priggish bore he'd be. It is, though, worth enduring for one line from Mr Brynner. Returning from the watching Moses part the Red Sea, he thinks in a fit of pique that he might disembowel Mrs Pharoah. He draws his sword, then drops it noisily to the floor, then slumps poutingly on his throne and says the only decent line in the script: "His God Is God." Fade-out.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

It's funny how different people's perceptions are. While I'd never for a minute call "The Ten Commandments" one of the great films, I'd call it, like 1956's other big picture "Around the World in 80 Days", one heck of of a great show. It *is* static; everything is framed like a mural. It's the biggest pageant ever filmed, a giant tableau and, for me, one of the most watchable movies ever made. The nearly four hours fly by for me because as Leonard Maltin says in his review, "Few subtleties, but few lulls either." It's pious without being ponderous, moving when necessary yet light-hearted and intentionally campy at times to keep things from getting too serious. It's something that Hollywood rarely makes anymore -- "Fun for the entire family."

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray

Quote:

It's funny how different people's perceptions are. While I'd never for a minute call "The Ten Commandments" one of the great films, I'd call it, like 1956's other big picture "Around the World in 80 Days", one heck of of a great show. It *is* static; everything is framed like a mural. It's the biggest pageant ever filmed, a giant tableau and, for me, one of the most watchable movies ever made. The nearly four hours fly by for me because as Leonard Maltin says in his review, "Few subtleties, but few lulls either." It's pious without being ponderous, moving when necessary yet light-hearted and intentionally campy at times to keep things from getting too serious. It's something that Hollywood rarely makes anymore -- "Fun for the entire family."

My take exactly.

TTC needs to be taken with a grain of the pillar of salt, and anyone who tries to analyze it needs to be analyzed in turn. I have a friend who, while he enjoys the movie, tries to pick it apart as if it's Hamlet, seriously arguing that such a small burning bush couldn't possibly be seen on a mountain from such a distance and that God shouldn't need any signs to warn him to pass by certain establishments (?!). I tell him that the thing that bothers me most about the movie is Moses returning from the burning bush sequence with a thicker mass of hair than before, and this only because I'm envious and rather piqued about it! Why pile on more to someone who was already doing ok but deny those who could use a little help?

As for inviting him to dinner; I'd be more comfortable sitting around having a few pints with ol' Moses than, say, Mr. "Choose your next witticism carefully, Mr. Bond!" Goldfinger, or Captain "One can't command respect from last night's partner in debauch" Bligh. Now those are prigs!

As far as I remember, ol' Moses didn't do much preaching in TTC. He didn't attempt to convert the Egyptians and losing his temper after all he did for the Hebrews was understandable - their decision to party when they did wasn't the smartest ever! But imagine the stories he'd have to tell once he loosened up, first as a conquering prince capable of building a city, then his metamorphosis to a miracle-working emancipator!

No one who defends The Ten Commandments here thinks it's a masterpiece of subtlety, or sees it as anything more than pure camp. Just a gorgeously photographed, appropriately acted entertainment that nevertheless made it into the Library of Congress and AFI's top ten in the epics category.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks