What's new

What would you all consider the "holy trilogies" of movies? (1 Viewer)

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
I always thought that the Star Wars OT (original, non-special edition) would be the end-all, be-all of not just trilogies, but all movies. But the Matrix series and LOTR are challenging. Of course I have to wait until after Revolutions and ROTK, but I have a feeling that to me I will just have to lump them all together, as I will not be able to single out one as my favorite.
Matrix and LOTR will definitely bump Indy and Back to the Future from my Holy Trilogy of Trilogies list.

ChrisChap

Stunt Coordinator
I hate to nitpick, but most of the movies listed are not "trilogies".

A trilogy would be three films that comprise one story, such as Godfather, LOTR, or The Matrix.

The Indiana Jones movies are serials, each one is a stand-alone adventure story about one character. The plot of one movie has nothing to do with the plot of another. The same can be said for Lethal Weapon or Mad Max or Die Hard.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I hate to nitpick, but most of the movies listed are not "trilogies".

A trilogy would be three films that comprise one story, such as Godfather, LOTR, or The Matrix.

The Indiana Jones movies are serials, each one is a stand-alone adventure story about one character. The plot of one movie has nothing to do with the plot of another. The same can be said for Lethal Weapon or Mad Max or Die Hard.
I agree with you Chris!

Of course, most people consider any movie that had to "sequels" to be a "trilogy", which isn't really the case, in my opinion either.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Please, Please don't lump the last two "Evil Dead" movies in the same league as the first. The sequals are everything that is wrong with the horror genre of late. Everytime I am flipping channels and see "Army of Darkness" being played I immediately have to go rinse my eyes out with Visine!!!! I am so sick and tired of so-called writers having to dump a bunch of lame comedy into what should be horror movies.:frowning:
To stay on topic though, a sequal should be a continuation of the first, second etc., which would make the Die Hard and Indiana Jones movies NOT trilogies. Unfortunately, the "Evil Dead" series would be considered a trilogy.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I am so sick and tired of so-called writers having to dump a bunch of lame comedy into what should be horror movies.
God forbid they should make the movie that they want. I can understand disliking AoD, but it is Sam Raimi's movie, and he can make it any way he pleases.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Rob Tomlin,

Are your font characters supposed to be four times as large as most peoples font, or is this a problem with my eMac? :confused:

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Rob Tomlin,

Are your font characters supposed to be four times as large as most peoples font, or is this a problem with my eMac?
It's a problem with your eMac.

It has been raised before....only by Mac users!

My font is actually smaller than most of the posts here!

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Your font is gigantic in Safari but normal in Internet Explorer on MacOS X. What font do you select? I looked at the html of this page and don't even see where the font is declared. Wierd. I sent a bug report.
The Font is "arial". The font size is "02".

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
Romereo's Dead movies
Kieslowski's Three Colors
Back to The Future (just scrapes in there...)
Leone's Dollar trilogy

It often seems that the 3rd lets the series down on the following:

Star Wars (I Hate Jedi)
Mad Max (Tina Turner?! Why?!)
Godfather ("I Dread you....")
Evil Dead (part three is simply ok...)

Can't add TLOTR yet - not seen part 3;)

Rich

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
The Font is "arial". The font size is "02".
Sorry to be offtopic.

I did some testing in the "Testing" area and found that if you set the font size to "02" (I assume you set the font manually rather than using the "size" pulldown) the gigantic font appears. If you just set the font size to "2" it doesn't happen.

I think Safari is less forgiving on bad html than IE which will attempt to recover from bad code.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
I consider the following sets of films, "Holy Trilogies":

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King. Nevermind that I haven't seen ROTK yet, it WILL be the trilogy to beat in my mind.

The Terry Gilliam "Trilogy": Time Bandits, Brazil, and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. Each film representing Youth, Adulthood, and Old Age, respectively.

The Original Star Wars Trilogy: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and The Return of the Jedi. This only qualifies for the "unedited" versions (Solo shot first!)

Indiana Jones Series: Ever since the Paramount logo transition, I've been hooked on this series of films (thank goodness for the DVD!). I guess it won't be a trilogy with the 4th coming out (unless the 4th is a start of new trilogy!).

8^B

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Does the Red Curtain Trilogy count?

Dictionary.com lists "a set of three literary or dramatic works related in subject or theme" as a valid definition of trilogy. I'd say by that measure three films featurign the same characters are a trilogy, same story or not.

And the reason Army of Darkness isn't a very good horror movie is that it wasn't intended to be a horror movie. it's a Harryhausenesque action-adventure, only with more blood.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Here is an MSN article listing their top 10 trilogies.

The latest offering is the "Indiana Jones" series, snuggled neatly into a package that helps us forget the first and second films were sub-par.
:eek: Not a lot of love for Indy. Oh well, to each their own, enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks